Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more Vroom, Carvana, Shift, etc?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love our Raven S but have been contemplating a move to a Long Range Raven X.

I tried to get a few online appraisals from Carvana, Vroom, and Shift but none of them are taking Teslas at this time. I think the price drops and volatility scared them away from the brand. Any other options besides traditional trade-in or selling privately?

If you live in a state where new car taxes are based on net price after trade, like I do, Tesla's offers are usually pretty good. A late model S is only going to make sense for a reseller if they can move it quickly. Many prospective buyers are going to be shopping for a new 3 rather than a used S. FWIW my experience with trades from Tesla is that they overlook minor defects. Nobody even sees the car before they make an offer, although I assume they revoke the offer if the condition is poor.

I love our Raven S but have been contemplating a move to a Long Range Raven X.

I tried to get a few online appraisals from Carvana, Vroom, and Shift but none of them are taking Teslas at this time. I think the price drops and volatility scared them away from the brand. Any other options besides traditional trade-in or selling privately?
Last time I check Carvana it was loaded with Tesla’s of all kinds, so if supply is high, they may not be accepting more and/or low-balling you.

Can you elaborate on why you believe this? Teslas change so often - seems like it would have to be a substantial change to move the needle much.

There's all sorts of rumors going around. It is possible the change will be very substantial. Other rumors say it'll be minor. It's possible that they just suspended trade ins for a week or two just in case it is substantial.

Imagine if the update the body, make the interior better quality, increase the range substantially by using the new 4680 battery cells and add a heat pump. I think that could easily tank the value of the most recent pre-refresh units. Obviously a 2014 wouldn't be affected nearly as much.

When did you attempt to get a quote? I got a Carvana quote last week, and a Vroom quote this past Saturday (for a TX vehicle). FWIW, Carvana, Vroom and CarMax were all lower than the Tesla trade-in quote (which I didn't think was possible, so I cried a little).

• Funny
Reactions: vapor trail
When did you attempt to get a quote? I got a Carvana quote last week, and a Vroom quote this past Saturday (for a TX vehicle). FWIW, Carvana, Vroom and CarMax were all lower than the Tesla trade-in quote (which I didn't think was possible, so I cried a little).

Interesting. I tried his past weekend. Carvana didn’t respond six months ago either. At least Vroom quoted 59.5K six months ago but no response this time.

I have not tried CarMax yet because I haven’t had time to drive out to their location. We have two Carmax but they’re both 45 minutes from me. Also, I’m now thinking to keep the S. The more I think about it, I don’t really want to drive something as big as the X. The Y was tempting but I feel like I’d really miss the S.

I have friend working for one of those companies, they are tired of Tesla price changes. We will see what will happen in near future but expect value of used Tesla`s to go down significantly. I heard Tesla is starting to give you almost 10k discount for used car if you tell them you dont want FSD