Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more White as a non premium color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

D.E.

Uncorked
Oct 12, 2016
MI
The white base color is no longer available. The only non premium color now is black. White was pretty popular. It's the color I'd order.

Since they removed the white base color at pretty much exactly the time they started installing the Autopilot 2, I wonder if there might be an issue with the pure white exterior and the AP2 cameras or software. The opinion with the Florida incident was the system had trouble differentiating the white background sky from the white side of the truck. Since the cameras are fixed, I would think they could easily map out the car's surface if it appears in the camera fields but maybe there's more to it.

The white pearl is available. Maybe that color can be distinguished.

I'm just curious.

David

I was surprised to see the basic white eliminated too. It had to have been at least as popular as black. I think that Tesla will use white in the future to differentiate their "fleet" of autonomous, Uber-like ride share program...just a guess but I can think of no other reason to eliminate such a nice color

I debated long and hard between the pearl white and the flat and finally got two side by side. The flat white (non-premium) looks much better in the sun than the pearl white (premium), so I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of flat white for my next Tesla.