TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

No motion sensors for Map?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by hiroshiy, Sep 11, 2014.

1. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

Got a delivery on 8th! Today, while I was driving in a long tunnel in Tokyo (10.9km in length), I found that the map stopped moving. Does it rely solely on GPS and there's no motion sensors for the navigation??

2. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

Apparently so. I don't see forward motion when I'm in tunnels.

3. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Were you actually using navigation or just watching the map?

I would be very surprised if navigation didn't use your speed and accelerometers to track you versus the maps which may just rely on GPS.

4. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

I'm just using the map. In Japan navigation is not yet available.

We have a lot of tall buildings in the city and many times the car icon drifts out of the road on the map. So there might be two things:

1. No accelometer in the map? Or only navigation can use the accelometer?
    2. Does the map have "map matching"? GPS sometimes drifts a few meters, does it try to keep the car on the road?

5. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

Actually just discovered yesterday that the navigation (not Google Maps) does handle tunnels correctly, as suggested above. It even has a really cool tunnel image on the Navagon display.

6. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

How did you discover this in Florida???Going through the mountains????:tongue:

7. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

Thanks @bollar and @aviators99! Will look forward to having the navigation feature with the future updates.

BTW does somebody noticed "map matching"? If you drive small streets my car sometimes moves on buildings not the roads. I haven't seen this in any car nav systems before.

8. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

When driving in Chicago, my Prius will get really confused and have me driving through buildings at 45 degree angles to the street until it gets a good satellite fix once I'm away from the tall buildings. I think it's due to having to turn through too many levels in a parking garage, and the errors in the motion sensors add up to the point where the navigation just gives up.

9. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

We've got an underwater tunnel at US1 in Ft. Lauderdale. (Google Maps)

10. tliving

tliving Member

Long tunnels in Boston, MA area work fine with the GPS and track progress (going to Logan for example). And in those tunnels GPS can't be received so it must be tracking another way. The nav screen on the dash even pops up a cool pic.
    IMG_4255.jpg