Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Nav in My Car, can I use On-Route Battery Warmup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody know if cars without navigation will be able to utilize the On-Route Battery Warmup feature?

The wording says:
Now, whenever you navigate to a Supercharger station, your vehicle will intelligently heat the battery to ensure you arrive at the optimal temperature to charge...

I also wonder if you might be able to use the feature as a work-around for heating your battery manually, while it is in your garage for example.

Does anybody know if cars without navigation will be able to utilize the On-Route Battery Warmup feature?

The wording says:
Now, whenever you navigate to a Supercharger station, your vehicle will intelligently heat the battery to ensure you arrive at the optimal temperature to charge...

I also wonder if you might be able to use the feature as a work-around for heating your battery manually, while it is in your garage for example.

Unless Tesla puts in a way to manually turn on the battery heater, no it wouldn't work for someone without navigation.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I would think if you put a supercharger location in nav that was 150 miles away for example that car wouldn't start preheating the pack additionally till it got closer to optimize the charging session.

Now I think of extreme cold...... I understand a 150 mile drive would warm the pack sufficiently. I just wouldn't want it to warm the pack to the point of range loss in extreme cold with multiple stops until supercharger. Oh wait I forgot. Tesla nav can't do multiple waypoints yet.

For my outside the box usage. Hopefully this is shown someway on the IC/Screen that it is working. Don't need a repeat of Smart Preconditioning type of behavior. Would like to see arrival percentage with on/off. Probably way to much to ask, and much higher priorities on the list.

All S, 3, X have navigation. Even the 3SR has navigation, although it's not internet connected.
That is not true. You're just not an old enough owner to know about how they used to be. For the first few years of the Model S, they had a very large package of options called the "Tech Package" for $4,500. It included things like the power lift gate, turn-by-turn navigation directions, driver profiles, and a few other things, and was also a prerequisite to a few other options like the parking sensors in the bumpers. So yes, I know of some of those older cars with the manual back lift gate and no navigation because people deciding the $4,500 package wasn't worth it. I considered not getting that back in January 2014, but my wife talked me into it.

So you have a car without the tech package. The thing is, that was only on Model S cars, and the Model S has such an active and effective battery heater that it already does get the battery up to pretty significantly warm temperatures. Not quite full Supercharging speed temperatures, but quite a lot, as long as you have range mode turned off. So it wouldn't be that much of a noticeable effect with the Model S. The Model 3 needs help, though, since a lot of people have been discovering that their battery heating is very very slow, so it needs that head start.

The wording says:

Highly unlikely. More details from Elon:

Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk 2h2 hours ago

Replying to @Erdayastronaut @privater and

Very little power & only right before you get to the Supercharger. You won’t notice it in range.

So without Nav it would have no idea how close you were and when to start heating.

• Disagree
Reactions: pscarroll
So without Nav it would have no idea how close you were and when to start heating.
It would know how close you were, because the cars without the Tech Package did still have the GPS to show the car's position on the map. It just would not allow you to use the navigation feature to give you turn-by-turn directions on a route. So if they really wanted to, they could do some kind of geo-fence thing of when you are within X miles of a Supercharger start the heating, but they wouldn't know if you are really heading to it, and I just doubt they would want to put any effort into creating the programming for that kind of thing.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I wish Tesla would just make a manually selectable battery heat option for all cars. The nav based system sounds good, but at least a manually selectable option would be great. Even with nav, the car does not know your overall plans, consider the weather forecast, charging options at final destination, all these are factors to consider.

I've left a Supercharger session, needing every mile to make my destination, and having run the cabin heat while charging, only to have regen limited when I departed. That is dumb.

I wish Tesla would just make a manually selectable battery heat option for all cars.
"Choice is for suckers!!" --Apple
I do feel this is one of those ways Tesla is being a little too "Silicon Valley"-cute. They're trying to go with a very automagic, "we know what's best for you" type of thing that doesn't allow choice or preference. (See feature removals in software versions 7, 8, and 9)

"Choice is for suckers!!" --Apple
I do feel this is one of those ways Tesla is being a little too "Silicon Valley"-cute. They're trying to go with a very automagic, "we know what's best for you" type of thing that doesn't allow choice or preference. (See feature removals in software versions 7, 8, and 9)

Paradox of choice especially given all these "new" things EV brings to a car that an ICE car doesn't.