TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

No Nav Map Display

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by smsprague, Jul 6, 2014.

1. smsprague

smsprague Member

Took my new Model S up a mountain and lost 3G half way up as expected. I have the Tech Package - it surprised me that the Nav Screen lost the map display. I would have thought the hard drive display would have taken over. This morning I was thinking that if I had plugged in a destination it may have displayed. When I take my MDX up the mountain the map display works the whole way.

2. Chris

Chris Member

That is an expected behavior. The nav window on the center screen is google maps and works only with an active 3G/WiFi connection. The navigon based routing works independently but is limited to the instrument screen and will not 'take over' the center screen. It is activated only when putting in a destination.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Your use of the phrase "hard drive display" leads me to think that you believe that the Model S computer has a local database of maps that it draws on to create the maps shown on the center display. That is not correct, as @Chris pointed out. The center display maps are sourced from Google over the 3G connection or wifi if the car is connected to a local network that way. Lose the connection, lose the maps, though if you have already entered a navigation destination the driver display nav will continue to function.

4. smsprague

smsprague Member

Okay thought the where the same.

Note: on the climb up from 2500 ft to 9500 feet used 700 W/Mile for 30 miles. By the time I got to the bottom my average for the whole trip was 308 W/Mile.

5. smsprague

smsprague Member

6. ecarfan

Yes at first it's a bit unnerving going up a long steep grade, but then when you go back down the same way you realize you get a lot of energy back :)

7. TES-E

TES-E Member

Ok... let's take this one step further. If you are out of 3g range and don't have Google maps, can you initiate a route, like 'go home'?

8. ecarfan

No, I don't think you can do that. That is a downside of the Tesla nav compared to "traditional" car nav systems where the map database is on a drive in the car.

If I am wrong about that Tesla nav limitation I'm sure someone will correct me shortly. :)

9. Chris

Chris Member

Actually, I believe you can. I had this happen once when there was no 3G signal and the system prompted me to manually input the address (instead of picking from the google populated search results). This feature would only work with the tech package.

10. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

You can, but you have to manually enter an address (you cannot do a Google search for it). It will pop up a different address entry window when you are out of cell coverage area.

11. ecarfan

Sorry my error, I was thinking of not being able to search for a destination name or address when off 3G/wifi.

So you need to enter the address correctly or just broader destination info like city and state maybe. I have yet to try that.

12. TES-E

TES-E Member

Thanks to all who posted replies. That's the answer I was looking for. I assume that if you have a stored location (favorites or home address) you can select that as well. Is this correct?