Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Nav Map Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my new Model S up a mountain and lost 3G half way up as expected. I have the Tech Package - it surprised me that the Nav Screen lost the map display. I would have thought the hard drive display would have taken over. This morning I was thinking that if I had plugged in a destination it may have displayed. When I take my MDX up the mountain the map display works the whole way.

That is an expected behavior. The nav window on the center screen is google maps and works only with an active 3G/WiFi connection. The navigon based routing works independently but is limited to the instrument screen and will not 'take over' the center screen. It is activated only when putting in a destination.

Took my new Model S up a mountain and lost 3G half way up as expected. I have the Tech Package - it surprised me that the Nav Screen lost the map display. I would have thought the hard drive display would have taken over. This morning I was thinking that if I had plugged in a destination it may have displayed. When I take my MDX up the mountain the map display works the whole way.

Your use of the phrase "hard drive display" leads me to think that you believe that the Model S computer has a local database of maps that it draws on to create the maps shown on the center display. That is not correct, as @Chris pointed out. The center display maps are sourced from Google over the 3G connection or wifi if the car is connected to a local network that way. Lose the connection, lose the maps, though if you have already entered a navigation destination the driver display nav will continue to function.

bepara6e.jpg
surudaby.jpg

Your use of the phrase "hard drive display" leads me to think that you believe that the Model S computer has a local database of maps that it draws on to create the maps shown on the center display. That is not correct, as @Chris pointed out. The center display maps are sourced from Google over the 3G connection or wifi if the car is connected to a local network that way. Lose the connection, lose the maps, though if you have already entered a navigation destination the driver display nav will continue to function.

Ok... let's take this one step further. If you are out of 3g range and don't have Google maps, can you initiate a route, like 'go home'?

Ok... let's take this one step further. If you are out of 3g range and don't have Google maps, can you initiate a route, like 'go home'?

Actually, I believe you can. I had this happen once when there was no 3G signal and the system prompted me to manually input the address (instead of picking from the google populated search results). This feature would only work with the tech package.

No, I don't think you can do that. That is a downside of the Tesla nav compared to "traditional" car nav systems where the map database is on a drive in the car.

If I am wrong about that Tesla nav limitation I'm sure someone will correct me shortly. :)

You can, but you have to manually enter an address (you cannot do a Google search for it). It will pop up a different address entry window when you are out of cell coverage area.