Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Netflix after FSD upgrade - TeslaCam not working well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trnsl8r

S85 2012-2018, X90 since 2016, 3 since 2018
Aug 20, 2011
San Jose, CA
Sorry if this is a duplicate entry of someone else, just wanted to compare notes with others.

Had my December 2016 X 90D in for the FSD upgrade. Noticed a couple of things.

1. Bluetooth connectivity was non-existent and car would not see my phone, even after deleting it from memory. A two-thumb reboot sorted that issue.

2. TeslaCam would only work sporadically until the car complained that the USB drive had too slow write-speed. Curious thing is I use the exact same USB drive in my Model 3 without issues. (I ordered a new USB drive with documented higher write speed than required, will try that before I complain to T.)

3. No Netflix, YouTube etc. on the entertainment panel. I thought this would come with the upgrade, no?

4. Autopilot a bit more shaky and jerky than normal, specifically when trying to match the speed of the car in front. This after about 150 miles so I would think it would have time recalibrate.

Appreciate any insights and thoughts from the group!

• Informative
Reactions: Terthen
Sorry if this is a duplicate entry of someone else, just wanted to compare notes with others.

Had my December 2016 X 90D in for the FSD upgrade. Noticed a couple of things.

1. Bluetooth connectivity was non-existent and car would not see my phone, even after deleting it from memory. A two-thumb reboot sorted that issue.

2. TeslaCam would only work sporadically until the car complained that the USB drive had too slow write-speed. Curious thing is I use the exact same USB drive in my Model 3 without issues. (I ordered a new USB drive with documented higher write speed than required, will try that before I complain to T.)

3. No Netflix, YouTube etc. on the entertainment panel. I thought this would come with the upgrade, no?

4. Autopilot a bit more shaky and jerky than normal, specifically when trying to match the speed of the car in front. This after about 150 miles so I would think it would have time recalibrate.

Appreciate any insights and thoughts from the group!

1) As someone else said, you need MCU2 for Netflix. You can tell if you have it by your main cluster. Does it display cones and traffic lights?

2) You shouldnt have Teslacam at all. That’s part of MCU2. Not sure why you’re getting the write speed message. Do you ha e the dash cam option under safety and security on the main screen?

3) Try setting your stalk to an increased distance. 3-4 works best for me for smoothness. But I usually keep it on 2. After 500-1000 miles if it’s still jerky, ask the SC for calibration and autopilot alignment reset.

1) As someone else said, you need MCU2 for Netflix. You can tell if you have it by your main cluster. Does it display cones and traffic lights?

2) You shouldnt have Teslacam at all. That’s part of MCU2. Not sure why you’re getting the write speed message. Do you ha e the dash cam option under safety and security on the main screen?

3) Try setting your stalk to an increased distance. 3-4 works best for me for smoothness. But I usually keep it on 2. After 500-1000 miles if it’s still jerky, ask the SC for calibration and autopilot alignment reset.

1) It does now, after the FSD upgrade. It didn't before.

2) Yep.

3) I usually keep it on 3 on highways. We'll see how it goes.

1) It does now, after the FSD upgrade. It didn't before.

2) Yep.

3) I usually keep it on 3 on highways. We'll see how it goes.

Do you have your invoice/parts list? That’s strange that you’d have some things but not others.

My MCU1/EAP (missing but purchased FSD computer) doesn’t have visualizations its dash cam or Netflix.

My MCU2/AP car got visualizations, Netflix, and teslacam only after MCU2.

• Helpful
Reactions: AMP-MX
Do you have your invoice/parts list? That’s strange that you’d have some things but not others.

My MCU1/EAP (missing but purchased FSD computer) doesn’t have visualizations its dash cam or Netflix.

My MCU2/AP car got visualizations, Netflix, and teslacam only after MCU2.

Looks like this:

Concern: (Bulletin) Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit (Model S and Model X Group 1) perform full self driving retrofit

Correction: Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit, Model X Autopilot 2.0

Parts Replaced or Added
Part
ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0, MSX-FUSED(1655000-70-I) 1.0
ASY,HARN,HW3,RETROFIT,MSMX(1507950-00-A) 1.0
NUT,HEX-FLNG,M5X.8,STL,ZNC,NYLOCK(1012845-00-A) 4.0

BTW, how do I tell which MCU I have?

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2020-06-28 kl. 09.43.03.png
    Skärmavbild 2020-06-28 kl. 09.43.03.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 104
Hi Trnsl8r,

How do you know which MCU you have?

On your 17" screen:
Touch the car icon bottom left for menus,
Touch software.
Touch "Additional vehicle Information"
Additional Info.jpg

If the Infotainment processor says Intel Atom you have MCU2...
If the Infotainment processor Tegra you have MCU1

With the age of your car, you likely have MCU1 unless you or someone else has paid the
$2500 upgrade fee...

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: Trnsl8r
On the Bluetooth... I it looks like the only real remedy is putting in either a SC or Mobile Service / ranger request.
It is possible they did not connect the antenna, or came loose during the install. Even though your MCU wasn't changed out.

What experience do I have?
My MCU 2 didn't get its USB connector installed. And thus I have to repeat my visit to get this corrected.
If anyone needs more info, just ask.
-TechVP

On the Bluetooth... I it looks like the only real remedy is putting in either a SC or Mobile Service / ranger request.
It is possible they did not connect the antenna, or came loose during the install. Even though your MCU wasn't changed out.

No need. As stated in my original post, a force-reboot (two-thumb salute) sorted the issue.

This isn't correct, TeslaCam is dependent on AP hardware, not the MCU version.
AP2.5 (MCU1 or MCU2) & HW3/FSD have TeslaCam.

Cones and traffic lights are 2 separate things. Traffic lights show up with HW3 even if someone has MCU1. (That would be me, currently.) I am told that traffic cones will show up when I get the MCU2 upgrade.

You’re both missing the fact that he said he has a Dec 2016. He doesn’t have a 2.5, which WOULD have Teslacam and cones. A Dec2016 is a AP2.0, same as I have. It does not display cones or teslacam without MCU2.

If his display showed cones and traffic lights it would indicate that he might have gotten a MCU2 somehow if he is an AP2.0 w/FSD. Which would explain why he has Teslacam. You’re not supposed to get Teslacam with only a FSD computer on an AP2.0 as far as I’m aware

If you only get a MCU2 w/o FSD, you will still see cones and traffic lights.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ARMARM
You’re both missing the fact that he said he has a Dec 2016. He doesn’t have a 2.5, which WOULD have Teslacam and cones. A Dec2016 is a AP2.0, same as I have. It does not display cones or teslacam without MCU2.
I agree, I lost sight of his configuration. But I digress to disagree with your lumping Teslacam and cones. They are 2 different things. HW2.5 does not get you cone visualization. Neither does HW3. MCU2 is the only thing that gets anyone cone visualization.

I agree, I lost sight of his configuration. But I digress to disagree with your lumping Teslacam and cones. They are 2 different things. HW2.5 does not get you cone visualization. Neither does HW3. MCU2 is the only thing that gets anyone cone visualization.

The only reason I’m lumping them is to diagnose his situation. He shouldn’t have Teslacam, as FSD wasn’t supposed to give Teslacam. And he doesn’t have it from AP2.5.

The fact that he has it suggests he may inadvertently gotten MCU2. So while you can go poking through the menus, cones and traffic lights as you said comes from MCU2. If he/she had them, it would indicate they did indeed get an upgrade which would explain the Teslacam.

Because while cones and Teslacam are independent functions launched forward. (AP2.5/MCU1 vs AP2.5/3.0 MCU2) For an AP2.0 car, they are not mutually exclusive. MCU2 gives both Teslacam and cones at the same time and is supposed to be the only way to get either retrofitted to an AP2.0. FSD alone was not supposed to give either one. Which means if you had one, you should have to other. Again, on a AP2.0 car.

Now what’s interesting is the OP confirmed they have a Tegra/MCU1. And based on the parts list, they only got the HW3 computer. So how did the AP2.0 w/FSD car get Teslacam when it wasn’t supposed to? I wonder if the firmware/configuration was changed during the upgrade. I haven’t seen any other reports of Teslacam coming with FSD, but that is the interesting thing about the post.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ARMARM
The only reason I’m lumping them is to diagnose his situation. He shouldn’t have Teslacam, as FSD wasn’t supposed to give Teslacam. And he doesn’t have it from AP2.5.

Is "Teslacam" the equivalent of the front dashcam? If so, I have MCU1 (with HW3) and I do have that dashcam. I use a usb stick in the console to capture dash videos that have to be played back on a PC.

Is "Teslacam" the equivalent of the front dashcam? If so, I have MCU1 (with HW3) and I do have that dashcam. I use a usb stick in the console to capture dash videos that have to be played back on a PC.

Thank you for the input. Just to confirm, your car was originally a AP2.0 right? Meaning you didn’t have it pre-FSD and got it after upgrading the FSD computer?