Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Netflix after FSD upgrade - TeslaCam not working well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re both missing the fact that he said he has a Dec 2016. He doesn’t have a 2.5, which WOULD have Teslacam and cones. A Dec2016 is a AP2.0, same as I have. It does not display cones or teslacam without MCU2.

If his display showed cones and traffic lights it would indicate that he might have gotten a MCU2 somehow if he is an AP2.0 w/FSD. Which would explain why he has Teslacam. You’re not supposed to get Teslacam with only a FSD computer on an AP2.0 as far as I’m aware

If you only get a MCU2 w/o FSD, you will still see cones and traffic lights.

I have Dec 2016 ap3.0 (original 2.0) with MCU1 and have TeslaCam functional without the cone visualization.

I also have traffic lights and stop signs fully functional with the FSD updgrade.

Reactions: gangzoom and ARMARM
Thank you, that’s helpful.
People who haven't seen the alternative configurations don't necessarily know what they have. For instance, I think I saw another thread this morning where someone commented that they had the stoplight visualization with their AP 3.0 HW MCU1 configuration, but then also replied back saying "oh, my stoplight visualization changed when I upgraded to MCU2." Tesla has stated that FSD features other than visualization will work with MCU1. I believe visualization in this case means a 3d rendering similar to the physical surroundings. OTOH, the stoplight warning feature added to AP 2.5 vehicles with MCU1 prior to the actual stop-at-stoplight beta only indicates that there is a stoplight (this is technically visual in nature, but not necessarily a visualization in the sense you are asking about). Knowing this, I'd guess that same notification is used for the beta after you get the 3.0 AP computer. However, a person who doesn't keep up on every feature that upgrades from 2.0 to 3.0 while keeping MCU1 might not understand that not-so-subtle difference. As such, without having had the experience, I don't purport to know.

That having been said, you seem to be confused elsewhere in this thread about what teslacam requires. Teslacam was definitely available on AP2.5 vehicles with MCU1 (excluding the backup camera), as I have had it in my July 2017 AP2.5 MCU1 X since the feature was released. That doesn't guarantee that the 2.0 -> 3.0 upgrade without MCU2 upgrade would provide teslacam (excluding the backup camera), but it isn't out of the realm of possibility, and your posts seem to indicate that you incorrectly believed that MCU2 was required for teslacam in any scenario. One possible source of that confusion is the fact that the backup camera was excluded in the 2.5 AP HW models when teslacam was released due to MCU1 bandwidth and/or connectivity limitations (in fact, IIRC, teslacam was released before MCU2 even existed, and the backup camera inclusion was actually added later, but only for MCU2).

Reactions: ARMARM
812a111392b827994c11dbb79c155db1.jpg

I just got home from getting my FSD upgrade today. Half of the trip it was 'Calibrating'. But after calibration was complete, the AP worked exactly as before!

I don't know exactly what I was expecting... but I assumed the stop light/sign recognition would be there, as would the 'traffic cone' thing?

It's like I never had anything done. Granted, there has only been 50-ish miles put on her since the FSD upgrade, but it feels like I just threw away my $2K?

I have been on 2020.20.12, and am currently in the download process of getting 2020.20.17, so maybe that'll bring the 'upgrades' I was hoping for?

I'm fairly sure I've got MCU2.5 (Dec '17 build), so don't know if that limits what I will get from FSD?

People who haven't seen the alternative configurations don't necessarily know what they have. For instance, I think I saw another thread this morning where someone commented that they had the stoplight visualization with their AP 3.0 HW MCU1
I can tell with you certainty that my AP3.0 MCU1 has Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control. When I was on AP2.0 I had Stop Light and Stop Sign Warning. Totally two different things. All expected visualizations as along with behaviors described in the manual are present. I would say that is pretty clear.

You have an MCU1 car, your AP hardware would have been 2.5 ... MCU2s started late February/early March 2018
I am the original owner 11/16 build 12/02/2016 delivery. AP2.0 MCU1. I don't know how much clearer I can be. I just drove 3200 miles from Texas to Idaho and back with Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control enabled. All described visualizations from the manual were present on the instrument panel; stop lights identifying the proper red/yellow/green FSD recognition including proper light positioning with line turning red until stalk or accelerator depression to advance, stop signs with all FSD visualizations including sign with line turning red until stalk or accelerator depression to advance.

One major flaw with the control is FSD has issues with flashing yellow lights. FSD assumes the lights are flashing red and yellow alternately. So I had to power through the intersections fighting the car from stopping.

Last edited:
You have an MCU1 car, your AP hardware would have been 2.5 ... MCU2s started late February/early March 2018

You are correct... I misstated. I had AP 2.5, not MCU2.5. I checked, and I do have MCU1.

But the fact remains: After getting AP3.0 and plunking down $2K, absolutely nothing is different. The only thing different is when I click on the car's info... it says FSD. Big whoop.

Since I have no traffic sign/stop sign/cone awareness, should I be contacting Tesla to see what's up? I'm getting mixed signals as to whether or not MCU1 should have these features (I know @rush6410 , you have these on MCU1).

Edit: 2020.20.17 had zero changes

You are correct... I misstated. I had AP 2.5, not MCU2.5. I checked, and I do have MCU1.

But the fact remains: After getting AP3.0 and plunking down $2K, absolutely nothing is different. The only thing different is when I click on the car's info... it says FSD. Big whoop.

Since I have no traffic sign/stop sign/cone awareness, should I be contacting Tesla to see what's up? I'm getting mixed signals as to whether or not MCU1 should have these features (I know @rush6410 , you have these on MCU1).

Edit: 2020.20.17 had zero changes
I have read elsewhere that you need to go into the settings and enable the beta feature. It is also discussed in several places that once you do this, you will be limited to the speed limit in AP on roads that aren't limited access.

I have read elsewhere that you need to go into the settings and enable the beta feature. It is also discussed in several places that once you do this, you will be limited to the speed limit in AP on roads that aren't limited access.

I think this is it. On our X from December 2016, I see stop signs, traffic lights, etc., and that is turned on in Settings.