Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No new features since December: A New Tesla Strategy?

Do you think OTA update are going to become a paid subscription?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is the definition of first world problems. OH NOOOO MY FUTURE LIGHTNING POWERED CAR DOESN'T GET SOFTWARE UPDATES WAAAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
I made topic on the Afghani Arguments forum about how my bugs weren’t crunchy.... third world problems go on the third world board, first world on Tesla forums.

Reactions: kpeng
Yep. Can't wait until Tesla DOES push a software update, then everyone starts whining about how the old UI was better.

Sometimes I really hate other Tesla owners. And by sometimes, I mean all the time.

A bit off topic, but to me, the panel gap crowd is far more annoying than the software change crowd. I wonder how many EVER looked at the panel gaps on any other car they have ever owned, prior to reading about the “issues” with Tesla? And don’t get me started on the Tesla paint crowd.

Tim

A bit off topic, but to me, the panel gap crowd is far more annoying than the software change crowd. I wonder how many EVER looked at the panel gaps on any other car they have ever owned, prior to reading about the “issues” with Tesla? And don’t get me started on the Tesla paint crowd.

Tim

Yeah its off topic, but my opinion on this specific phenomenon is, somewhat multilayered...

1. There used to be a LOT of people who were betting on Tesla to fail, financially. They had a financial incentive to try to sow fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD) in tesla products in general. Online / Social presence is one "grass roots" somewhat easy way to do that.

2. At their price point, Teslas are not put together with the same manufacturing tolerances that some other cars are in this price point. Teslas "feel" more "hand made" with all the good and bad that entails. Other cars in this price point, tend to be made with a lot tighter tolerances, from companies with LONG histories of manufacturing vehicles.

3. Teslas, in general, dont tend to break down as much (they obviously do break down, though). Most car forums are going to be filled with people trying to teach each other DIY heroics on how to fix X or Y, or complaints about transmissions / motors / etc etc. That mostly doesnt exist on a tesla site, but because people want to complai...er "talk" about something, and teslas dont have the same tight tolerances, "panel gaps" took off as the topic.

Once that happened, it took a life of its own, with people bringing panel gap measuring tools to pick up their new car.

As far as the paint, I have always wondered if the fact the paint is not as "robust" as other vehicles in this class has some to do with californias environmental laws (what type of paint they can use because the cars are made in CA), coupled with Tesla trying to survive as a company (cost cutting).

Sorry for the OT post, but having been here for only a little over 2 years, but on this site almost daily during that time, this is what I have noticed. I have also noticed WAAAAAAAYYYY more people that seem to enjoy trying to tear down the company on this site than I have on any other car site I have belonged to. There are people that post here still simply to stir up FUD / try to start stuff. Note, I am not saying this OP is one of those people, I want to be clear, but there are still people here who basically just delight in trolling others and stirring up #!$@$ and the mods do know it.

Since this site allows and encourages open discourse, and there is no requirement to be pro Tesla here, it makes it much harder to deal with people who Troll on purpose, masquerading as "discussion" (again, not saying that is this thread, or this OP).

Last edited:
Reactions: TBrownTX
That has been true in any forum I have ever used. Oddly, even private forums with low membership.
While I am sure there are those that are trying to influence, there are a lot who just want to stir things up for a laugh.

The unfortunate reality is that genuine questions or frank commentary often get mixed up into these two categories.

This pushes people to more polarized positions with the assumption of negative intent.

It's really not that different than the assumption that every used car is a lemon, pushing used car prices on good cars lower than they should be. We can then assume that this removes good cars from the market as there isn't a fair price, leaving only lemons behind.

Naturally, we then elect those lemons into office and call it politics.

I may have strayed off the topic. Vote for me.

The lack of updates is a blessing in disguise, IMO.

I don't care about new games, fart noises, or even UI changes. The current UI on the MS/MX is pretty good with the large fonts.

Eventually we'll all be moved to the UI like in the refresh MS/MX and that looked pretty atrocious from the photos and video.

Reactions: kpeng
Had the car for 3 months.
Every update has been a downgrade.
Random reboot on the interstate last night, good times.

I would like to root/jailbreak the car, and have it my way, all day. I can make my own fart noises.
Every vehicle with an advanced infotainment system has suffered from occasional bugs and reboots. I wouldn't let this get under your skin if you otherwise love the car.

If it does bother you, then do go ahead and move on. I'm sorry it didn't work out.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Yup... This is it. Developers are too specific to a specific thing to just casually move around. It could take months to retask a dev into a complicated, fast moving project.
But this whole thread started about why it's taking months to see anything new, is it not?
In my experience, it's not uncommon to shuffle developers around on tight deadlines, even if it makes no sense. I have been that person shuffled around to "speed things up" a few times. Remember, if a woman can have a baby in nine months, nine women can have a baby in one month.
Required reading: The Mythical Man-Month - Wikipedia

Had the car for 3 months.
Every update has been a downgrade.
Random reboot on the interstate last night, good times.

I would like to root/jailbreak the car, and have it my way, all day. I can make my own fart noises.
Yeah, I have a general rule in my life that I don't buy/own any computing device that I don't have the option to root/jailbreak (even if I ultimately choose not to). I made an exception for my Tesla, and am also starting to regret it. I doubt I will make that mistake again.

But this whole thread started about why it's taking months to see anything new, is it not?
In my experience, it's not uncommon to shuffle developers around on tight deadlines, even if it makes no sense. I have been that person shuffled around to "speed things up" a few times. Remember, if a woman can have a baby in nine months, nine women can have a baby in one month.
Required reading: The Mythical Man-Month - Wikipedia
Shuffling people who work on infotainment into self-driving isn't just bad management, it's categorically insane. That's like deciding that some of your undergrads are ready for tenure track because you don't have enough teaching staff. I'm sure other software companies have done the same, but the desire to put new features in V11 makes way, way more sense.

Then again, a younger Musk was once fired for wanting to convert all of Paypal's backend to Windows, so who actually knows.

I think, a lot of changes have been made in all corners of v11, and that v10 has more or less become a «frozen» branch. But some specific issue(s) make them unable to release v11 (it’s after all probably quite ambitious), leaving us at v10 much longer than planned. Not seen as important enough to start back-porting to v10, though...

Selling fsd as a subscription also reduces their liability since the buyer is only subscribing to current features and not future ones...
I would disagree - selling it as a service implies all updates would be available to subscribers. It would make no sense otherwise. When you subscribe to Netflix, do you only have access to the movies that were available the day you subscribed?