Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Noise = Car is Asleep?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this video:

the guy says that if the car is making no noise at all, it is asleep. True? I don't have an iphone, so no widget to check sleep status.

Also, I guess tapping "Power Off" doesn't do the same thing as letting the car sleep.

I'm trying to get my car to sleep to potentially fix the rear camera fail problem.

That's my understanding and experience. As soon as the car is awake, I can hear a coolant pump work. It's not a very loud noise but it's there. Thus, when the pump is not running, I can tell the car is asleep. I need to be in my garage with the door closed to really hear the pump clearly however, it might be harder outside.
I actually use TeslaFi to tell if my car is asleep or not, without waking it up. I know, some people will say that TeslaFi can prevent the car from sleeping. That is technically true if the settings are fiddled with and set improperly, but in a normal/good configuration it will not do that.

If you are standing there when the car falls asleep, you should hear a pretty loud clunk from the high voltage contactor, along with the pump stopping.

Reactions: PianoAl
Hopefully that is sarcasm as using the app will wake the car up ... :D

Yeah I am certain this time that @UncertainTimes knows that, (lol).

For the OP, the car will go to sleep naturally on its own as long as nothing is keeping it awake (like checking the app, or having a third party app that is polling the car). If you dont use stats or teslafi or any other third party app (and never have) then you dont need to "check that the car is asleep" because it WILL go to sleep if you just lock it, and let it sit for a bit.

If you use currently, or have ever used any third party app, then, you might need to make sure you have those configured correctly to ensure that the car goes to sleep.

TL ; DR = Use tesla app only, and never used anything else to access the car, car will go to sleep naturally, no need to check it. Use third party app, ensure its configured properly (and I dont believe that just because the car is not making any noise at that second, that its asleep, especially if you just got out of it).

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Thanks for the info. I've disconnected everything from the USB ports, checked that standby and sentry mode are off, all doors and trunks closed. No third party apps. It's been an hour, and going into the garage, I heard it still humming away.

I just turned off Bluetooth on our phones and my tablet in case those are in range. I guess I will have to wait overnight to find out if it slept, woke, and fixed the rear camera problem.

Checked 2.5 hours later, and the car was making no noise. It apparently fell asleep, and that fixed the rear camera problem.

People have been reporting that camera issue for several years now. If getting the car to sleep fixes it, there should be a way to fix it immediately.

That's my understanding and experience. As soon as the car is awake, I can hear a coolant pump work. It's not a very loud noise but it's there. Thus, when the pump is not running, I can tell the car is asleep. I need to be in my garage with the door closed to really hear the pump clearly however, it might be harder outside.
Not sure about that logic .. yes, when coolant pumps runs the car is "awake" (in a sense), but that doesnt mean the coolant pump only stops when the car is asleep.

I understand what you're saying, that my logical statement shouldn't be reversible. However, everything I've seen and read, as well as my personal experience, shows that the coolant pump runs continuously while the car is awake. It changes speed, and scanmytesla will show different liters per minute pumped, but it runs...

Checked 2.5 hours later, and the car was making no noise. It apparently fell asleep, and that fixed the rear camera problem.

People have been reporting that camera issue for several years now. If getting the car to sleep fixes it, there should be a way to fix it immediately.

If you use the "power off" in the menu, your car should go to sleep inside of 15 minutes. I have tested this a couple of times on my own car. To prevent having to sit in the car waiting (which will make it seem like forever), open the drivers side door and get it, and while leaving the door open, push the power off button in the menu.

then, get out of the car (through the still open drivers door), and close the door and walk away. Come back in 15 ish minutes or so, and the car should be asleep.

Reactions: RTPEV
If you use the "power off" in the menu, your car should go to sleep inside of 15 minutes. I have tested this a couple of times on my own car. To prevent having to sit in the car waiting (which will make it seem like forever), open the drivers side door and get it, and while leaving the door open, push the power off button in the menu.

then, get out of the car (through the still open drivers door), and close the door and walk away. Come back in 15 ish minutes or so, and the car should be asleep.
Good to know. I waited only 5 minutes.

BTW, when the car stopped making any noise, presumably sleeping, it fixed the camera issue. Yay.

Reactions: GtiMart
I understand what you're saying, that my logical statement shouldn't be reversible. However, everything I've seen and read, as well as my personal experience, shows that the coolant pump runs continuously while the car is awake. It changes speed, and scanmytesla will show different liters per minute pumped, but it runs...
Agreed, though technically that could change after a software update (but I dont consider it likely).

Reactions: GtiMart
As with many Tesla things, we have to determine these things empirically. For now, I'm going to assume that my best way of checking whether the car is asleep is by putting my ear against the seam of the frunk lid.

Another example of empirical testing: Sometimes the car responds to an end-speed-limit sign, other times not. I've experimented with driving fast, slow, AP on, AP off, but I've never gotten a definitive answer.

On the speed limit signs: it's artificial intelligence... you will never get to 100% certainty (I know, you'll get close...) . Each panel is different at least due to its lighting sources / time of day, possible shade, dirtiness level, age / degradation of reflective paint etc. That's not counting the fact that your camera lens can also be dirty / blinded by light etc. Yes, AI learns from many images to account for all of that but it's not a perfect science.

EDIT: Before someone starts flaming me that AI is perfect, I'll just add: this is my understanding of the topic after reading some material and discussing with some AI experts at the company I work with on some projects. But I am NOT an AI expert, I might be wrong. Again, this is my understanding.

Another example of empirical testing: Sometimes the car responds to an end-speed-limit sign, other times not. I've experimented with driving fast, slow, AP on, AP off, but I've never gotten a definitive answer.
Are you saying it sometimes does/does not recognize a particular sign, or are you saying there are some signs it never recognizes, and some it always does?

Are you saying it sometimes does/does not recognize a particular sign, or are you saying there are some signs it never recognizes, and some it always does?
The first.

The problem is that the limit is 55, but the car sees a Truck Limit 40 sign, and drops the speed. When it gets to the Truck End 40 sign, it sometimes goes back to 55, sometimes not.

I've done experiments. For example, I'll turn off AP and drive by slowly. So far, I haven't found a way to make it consistently and correctly read that sign. Gtimart is right.

EDIT: Before someone starts flaming me that AI is perfect, I'll just add: this is my understanding of the topic after reading some material and discussing with some AI experts at the company I work with on some projects. But I am NOT an AI expert, I might be wrong. Again, this is my understanding.
You are right AI is not perfect, and in fact it’s designed not to be in the sense it deals with “fuzzy” data .. after all its impossible to define exactly what a car looks like (I wonder what the AI would make of a model T Ford?).