Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Notification on PowerWall Grid Failure, App Bug? V 3.10.5, iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our PowerWall 2 was installed early this month. It works great, the App works great.

Except…. When the grid goes down I do not get a notification. The Tesla App is supposed to give notification 5 minutes after grid power goes down. The new, current version does not. When I open the grid breaker, the PowerWall does take the load almost instantly, but the notification never comes. The App does correctly show the backup status, and Backup History does record the outage, at least after power is restored. But no notification comes.

Tesla App v 3.10.5, iPhone iOS v 13.4.1, PW v.1.46.0, One PowerWall, no EV.

Tesla support tells me this is a new problem with the App on iPhones, version 3.10.5. This version was released 4/21, only a few days before my PowerWall went in, sigh. Their software team is looking into it, no estimate yet of when it’ll be fixed.

Support explained that the iPhone App used to have two places where Notifications had to be enabled – one in the iPhone’s built-in settings app in the Telsa item, and the other in the Tesla App itself, on the in-app settings menu, accessed with the little gear icon in the upper left of the Tesla App main screen.

I was told that version 3.10.5 for the iPhone removed the Notification setting from the in-app settings menu in the Tesla app. Even with notifications enabled in the iPhone Settings app, notifications do not arrive. Things may be different if there is also a car in the account, but I don’t have one. Yet.

If anyone has different info on this, please let us know. If you have not updated your Tesla App to 3.10.5, you may want to wait.

• Informative
Reactions: Tezzie and X-pilot
We had two power outages a few days ago - and received one pair of notifications on our Android phones ("off grid" and "on grid").

I've noticed the notification is delayed, and if the power is off only briefly, even though the Gateway shifts into off grid mode for 5 minutes, we don't always get the notification.

It's possible the notification may only be sent if the outage is longer than 5 minutes.

I had a power outage 2 days ago on Tuesday and I got both app notifications (when power went down, and when it came back up). I'm also on iOS 13.4.1, Tesla app version 3.10.5, and 3x Powerwalls on version 1.46.0.

I was surprised because this was actually the first time the notifications worked for me. With previous outages, I never got the notifications. Maybe because the previous outages were too short?

Edit: Yes, I still see the in-app setting for notifications (Tesla app > top left gear icon > notifications)

D22BD852-1F5E-4224-99E0-9A84259FD8E4.png

Last edited:
Thank you. That is consistent with what Tesla support told me.

If anyone has iPhone 3.10.5, do you have the in-app setting for Notifications?
I have an iPhone (iphone 11) with tesla app version 3.10.5 and the notification is still there under settings -- notifications -- energy (Power outage). Power outage is the only thing that appears there, and mine is checked. I have not run an off grid test (nor had a power outage) to know if it is sending notifications.

I am a bit busy with work but would be willing to test if notifications work on my system this weekend sometime if that would help you,.

We had two power outages a few days ago - and received one pair of notifications on our Android phones ("off grid" and "on grid").

I've noticed the notification is delayed, and if the power is off only briefly, even though the Gateway shifts into off grid mode for 5 minutes, we don't always get the notification.

It's possible the notification may only be sent if the outage is longer than 5 minutes.
I had a power outage 2 days ago on Tuesday and I got both app notifications (when power went down, and when it came back up). I'm also on iOS 13.4.1, Tesla app version 3.10.5, and 3x Powerwalls on version 1.46.0.

I was surprised because this was actually the first time the notifications worked for me. With previous outages, I never got the notifications. Maybe because the previous outages were too short?

Edit: Yes, I still see the in-app setting for notifications (Tesla app > top left gear icon > notifications)

View attachment 545648
Very interesting. The only difference between your system and mine is that I do not have a Tesla vehicle while you do. Maybe if I got a Tesla car, my PowerWall notifications would start working... Just kidding.

Thank you for the info.

SW

• Funny
Reactions: X-pilot
I have an iPhone (iphone 11) with tesla app version 3.10.5 and the notification is still there under settings -- notifications -- energy (Power outage). Power outage is the only thing that appears there, and mine is checked. I have not run an off grid test (nor had a power outage) to know if it is sending notifications.

I am a bit busy with work but would be willing to test if notifications work on my system this weekend sometime if that would help you,.
Curiouser and curiouser... You have the same App rev as I, and no vehicle, also like me. Is your iPhone on iOS 13.4.1?

This suggest my problem may be in Tesla's setup of my system, not the App itself. It also contradicts what support told me about there being no in-app setting for Notifications in the iOS version 3.10.5. So far, in fact, I have found no one else with the same problem I have.

I don't think an actual test on your system will add to what I know. I expect you would get notification, assuming it is also enabled in you iPhone Settings App as well as in the Tesla App. Again, my understanding is that the notification is not sent till the outages exceeds 5 minutes.

Thank you for this information. Tesla's software team has still not been in touch with me on this.

Curiouser and curiouser... You have the same App rev as I, and no vehicle, also like me. Is your iPhone on iOS 13.4.1?

This suggest my problem may be in Tesla's setup of my system, not the App itself. It also contradicts what support told me about there being no in-app setting for Notifications in the iOS version 3.10.5. So far, in fact, I have found no one else with the same problem I have.

I don't think an actual test on your system will add to what I know. I expect you would get notification, assuming it is also enabled in you iPhone Settings App as well as in the Tesla App. Again, my understanding is that the notification is not sent till the outages exceeds 5 minutes.

Thank you for this information. Tesla's software team has still not been in touch with me on this.

Actually I do have a tesla vehicle (as well as tesla solar panels).

Very interesting. The only difference between your system and mine is that I do not have a Tesla vehicle while you do. Maybe if I got a Tesla car, my PowerWall notifications would start working... Just kidding.

Thank you for the info.

SW

Check out this post by bmah: iOS app questions

There's something on Tesla's end that causes the "Energy" notifications option to show up. For a long time after I had my Powerwalls installed, I only had the "Vehicle" option. I was going to call them about it, but then randomly one day the "Energy" option showed up.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin

There's something on Tesla's end that causes the "Energy" notifications option to show up. For a long time after I had my Powerwalls installed, I only had the "Vehicle" option. I was going to call them about it, but then randomly one day the "Energy" option showed up.
I am still waiting for that random act to display it on my iPhone,:)

• Funny
Reactions: gnumeric

gnu,

I did see the bmah post, and had a private conversation with him. Support checked my configuration and found "nothing wrong".

There are many possibilities of where the problem could be. Support tells me they have other reports of the same symptoms.

Just for the record, I tried on 3 different vintages of iPhone, including older iOS versions, all with Tesla App v 3.10.5, logging into my Tesla account. All acted the same.

SW

Reactions: gnumeric
I just tried to log out of the app and back in; didn't help. they have a ticket on this for me.

CJ,

Do you have a vehicle in your Tesla App?

If not, it looks like you may be in the same boat as I am, similar setup and symptoms. jjrandorin, on the other hand seems to have the same versions but does have Notifications menu item. So the mystery remains. I do like the configuration problem hypothesis even if support doesn't. Hopefully the software folks actually understand how the system works and can point us all in the right direction.

In other news, Support did just change my frequency shift to 62.5, in between the trip points for my Enphase inverters and my CyberPower UPS. It took only a few days for them to get to it. I tested it and it works. Of course, the UPS is mostly redundant now with the PowerWall. But if the PowerWall someday doesn't last as long as an outage, it'll keep my network up long enough for me to fire up my generator.

SW

CJ,

If not, it looks like you may be in the same boat as I am, similar setup and symptoms. jjrandorin, on the other hand seems to have the same versions but does have Notifications menu item. So the mystery remains. I do like the configuration problem hypothesis even if support doesn't. Hopefully the software folks actually understand how the system works and can point us all in the right direction.

In other news, Support did just change my frequency shift to 62.5, in between the trip points for my Enphase inverters and my CyberPower UPS. It took only a few days for them to get to it. I tested it and it works. Of course, the UPS is mostly redundant now with the PowerWall. But if the PowerWall someday doesn't last as long as an outage, it'll keep my network up long enough for me to fire up my generator.

SW

On your thread topic, I wonder if you guys are onto something related to whether someone has other tesla items in their tesla account or not. As I mentioned, I have all three (Solar, Car, and Powerwall) in my tesla account, as my solar is also from tesla (solar city, now tesla). I didnt test power outage this weekend, but the notification setting is there, and on, as I mentioned.

On the UPS topic...

For sensitive equipment, I think having UPS devices is still a good thing to have. In a power outage situation, sometimes the switch over to the powerwall is virtually instant (as in, no need to reset digital clocks, no evidence you are now on powerwall power) and sometimes it isnt. In my limited experience with this, it seems to me to be a symptom of which direction the power happens to be flowing when the power is cut.

if, for example, your powerwall is either on standby, or is being charged (not delivering power to your home) if you cut power, there is enough of a power blip to notice. AV equipment / TVs reboot, microwave clock needs to be reset, etc. If the powerwall is already delivering power to your home (discharging to the home), then, there seems to be virtually no evidence of power from the grid not being delivered.

Since what state the powerwall is in can be in flux, its good to have the UPS devices on sensitive things that you dont want to reboot, like expensive AV equipment, internet modem / router, desktop computers, etc. The difference when you have a powerwall is, you really only need UPS devices that have small batteries... just enough for the transition time to the powerwall.

Of course, many of us already have UPS devices on these items, so just reuse the ones we have.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
For sensitive equipment, I think having UPS devices is still a good thing to have. In a power outage situation, sometimes the switch over to the powerwall is virtually instant (as in, no need to reset digital clocks, no evidence you are now on powerwall power) and sometimes it isnt. In my limited experience with this, it seems to me to be a symptom of which direction the power happens to be flowing when the power is cut.

The UPS is also useful for power issues other than total loss of power - brownouts, surges, or other fluctuations in the grid. (And this kind of ties in to the other thread ongoing now about how powerwall/solar is tied to the grid.) Also in very limited experience, but last week we had a storm with high winds. With that, we had several fluctuations in our power - lights flickering and such. Our UPS alarms went off, but as best I can tell, our powerwall never took over supplying power. Then, about 15 minutes later, our power went out completely. For that event, I had no idea - UPS alarms didn't go off, power didn't noticeably flicker, and nothing else happened that would indicate an interruption. I only found out 5 minutes later when the Tesla app alerted me to the outage (which ended up only lasting 12 minutes total.)

So I would definitely agree that continuing to have a UPS on sensitive electronics is important, and not just for the chance of a brief delay between power loss and powerwall activation, but also for the power and protection the UPS provides during other grid anomalies.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
CJ,

SW
I do have the "vehicle charging during power outage" under customize but not the storm watch. Curious.