Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got the same text @ 6:05EST. The kicker is, from day one, I REQUESTED A HOME DELIVERY. This was even confirmed from inside sales in NV. I sent an email to them explaining myself again, and copied the fellow in NV that confirmed my home delivery. What a $hit show.

For home delivery in NY, the car has to first land at an NY delivery location, be inspected and registered, and then handed over to a third party carrier that will bring it to you. It's normal to have a delivery "appointment" show up in your account and get the associated notifications. It was the same for me with my second car - a home delivery to Rochester involved an appointment at Mt. Kisco and a few automated texts.

Reactions: Electric Steve
For home delivery in NY, the car has to first land at an NY delivery location, be inspected and registered, and then handed over to a third party carrier that will bring it to you. It's normal to have a delivery "appointment" show up in your account and get the associated notifications. It was the same for me with my second car - a home delivery to Rochester involved an appointment at Mt. Kisco and a few automated texts.
I don't quite understand the logic behind when you can or can't get home delivery. Do you have to be some distance away?

Carrier Direct: This option is available for customers who live more than 220 miles from a Tesla location and are eligible for a carrier to bring their vehicle to their delivery address.

Source: Delivery Options
Thanks. I don't qualify for Carrier Direct, but I'd be happy with Tesla Direct Drop. Unfortunately, it's not available in NY (or CT) yet. That page claims they're "rapidly expanding the availability of this new delivery type to new states", so maybe they'll speed the process up in light of the pandemic.

But, to be frank, it's most likely the case that "my" car is still unbuilt. If the car that would have gone to me was even completed, it was almost certainly rerouted away from NY and to another state where it could be delivered. And with the plant closed, I might not get a car until it reopens and deals with the backlog, even if NY's DMV is now open at the level Tesla needs.

Oh, well.

No Deliveries in NY? I just drove past the Brooklyn Tesla location (Van Brunt St). There was a Model Y out front so I pulled over. The Tesla guy was screwing on the number plates with the new owner in the car (Midnight Silver Performance - very, very nice) about to drive away. Tesla guy said the DMV was still open and they ARE still doing deliveries. So there you go...

• Informative
No Deliveries in NY? I just drove past the Brooklyn Tesla location (Van Brunt St). There was a Model Y out front so I pulled over. The Tesla guy was screwing on the number plates with the new owner in the car (Midnight Silver Performance - very, very nice) about to drive away. Tesla guy said the DMV was still open and they ARE still doing deliveries. So there you go...

Yes they opened deliveries again yesterday...I picked mine up yesterday afternoon. They are saying they might close again next week though.

• Informative
Yes they opened deliveries again yesterday...I picked mine up yesterday afternoon. They are saying they might close again next week though.
I wonder if there's any point to my calling them? I'm not sure if you've seen my posts, but the last time I spoke with them, they weren't doing any NY deliveries. Now that this has changed, they didn't bother letting me know -- their customer service is terrible -- but I suspect that I missed my chance before the factory closed. If I contacted them, I don't know that it would increase my odds of getting a delivery, especially if I lose my patience over being given the mushroom treatment.

I wonder if there's any point to my calling them? I'm not sure if you've seen my posts, but the last time I spoke with them, they weren't doing any NY deliveries. Now that this has changed, they didn't bother letting me know -- their customer service is terrible -- but I suspect that I missed my chance before the factory closed. If I contacted them, I don't know that it would increase my odds of getting a delivery, especially if I lose my patience over being given the mushroom treatment.

Definitely contact them...im 100% sure I would have never picked it up if I didn't keep calling my delivery advisor and Mt, Kisco asking for updates and when they could deliver it. From talking to the delivery people they dont seem to be in a rush to delivery anything right now.

• Helpful
I just asked Tesla, point blank, whether I should still expect my delivery in a matter of weeks or whether I've missed the boat due to the factory closing.

They just plain ducked it.

That’s a great question.

We are excited just as you are.

And then he didn't actually answer, just repeated that I'll be contacted once the next step is ready.

Seriously, if Tesla had any competition, any competition at all, I'd have bailed right then and there.

Yeah, I understand. The Tesla guy that I spoke to - as he prepared the Model Y to drive off - asked me for my Y RN so he could tell me where my car is. I gave it to him. He said he'd write back with details. He never did. That was disappointing because he seemed such a nice guy - I mean, just tell me you don't know, I'd understand it's due to corona. I took that lack of response as there's no info. I reckon the car hasn't been built yet and I'm not going to see it for a long time.

Yeah, I understand. The Tesla guy that I spoke to - as he prepared the Model Y to drive off - asked me for my Y RN so he could tell me where my car is. I gave it to him. He said he'd write back with details. He never did. That was disappointing because he seemed such a nice guy - I mean, just tell me you don't know, I'd understand it's due to corona. I took that lack of response as there's no info. I reckon the car hasn't been built yet and I'm not going to see it for a long time.
None of these Tesla people have been actively rude to me, and some actually seemed nice, but the general feeling I got is that they'd really rather I just shut up and wait.

I reckon you're right; I just wanted them to confirm or deny this suspicion and I'm pissed that they refused to. Even a hedging answer, like "We don't know for sure, but there's a better than even chance of you getting it this month" is a lot better than the disingenuous one I got.

In the world of PR, "That's a great question" is a euphemism for "I'm not going to answer that question, just deflect by complimenting you for asking it in the first place before I change the subject and repeat myself." Politicians, for example, are infamous for this little verbal trick.

"So after you sent your wife on an errand with her husband, what were you doing in that hotel room with her all alone?"

"That's a great question! Now I'd like to tell you more about this other thing that you didn't ask about, without acknowledging that it doesn't address what you asked at all."​

I've had the same run-around you're all experiencing but it has to be somewhat expected with the CV shutting everything down. Adding this to Tesla's usual chaos at the end of a quarter plus initial ramp up of the Model Y is just the perfect storm leading to misinformation and disappointment. I know this is no consolation to everyone posting in this thread but my Y is being delivered to me tomorrow. And afterwards all this confusion and aggravation will fade away as you drive off in the best overall car out there. So hang tough. Your day is coming.

I've had the same run-around you're all experiencing but it has to be somewhat expected with the CV shutting everything down. Adding this to Tesla's usual chaos at the end of a quarter plus initial ramp up of the Model Y is just the perfect storm leading to misinformation and disappointment. I know this is no consolation to everyone posting in this thread but my Y is being delivered to me tomorrow. And afterwards all this confusion and aggravation will fade away as you drive off in the best overall car out there. So hang tough. Your day is coming.

Really? May I ask in what city? Secondly, at what point did you get assigned the VIN?

Thanks for the support and congratulations on your delivery.

Really? May I ask in what city? Secondly, at what point did you get assigned the VIN?
It's in my profile (Buffalo) and it was delivered an hour ago. It's been raining here so it's a bit wet and dirty but overall the fit and finish look good. VIN is 10xx and I got it a couple weeks ago. There was also a Model 3 and a Model X on the truck for local delivery.

None of these Tesla people have been actively rude to me, and some actually seemed nice, but the general feeling I got is that they'd really rather I just shut up and wait.

I reckon you're right; I just wanted them to confirm or deny this suspicion and I'm pissed that they refused to. Even a hedging answer, like "We don't know for sure, but there's a better than even chance of you getting it this month" is a lot better than the disingenuous one I got.

Hey, All. I just received this official email from Tesla, Brooklyn. Seems like we finally have an answer of sorts about delays. They're closing the store and, when they return, will use contactless delivery. Did anyone else get the same email? See below:

I hope this message finds you and your loved ones well in these challenging times.

Tesla is committed to the safety of its team and customers and will be temporarily closing the Brooklyn Showroom/Delivery Center due to the COVID-19 global pandemic.

In recent weeks Tesla has followed all recommendations by the CDC and has innovated by executing Contactless Test Drives and Deliveries to ensure both a safe and elevated experience for our customers.

Congratulations on your Model Y order! I will be your point of contact through out your delivery experience and I will be here for you if you have any questions along the way.

Due to the closure your delivery will be postponed until further notice. This is a tentative adjustment to your delivery in order to guarantee you top priority once operations resume. We will certainly be in touch to confirm as more details surface on the timeline.

Once again your safety is paramount and at the heart of all we do and even though we have the safest cars in the world, we want to ensure your safety when you come visit us.

When we re-open, we will continue executing Contactless Test Drives and Contactless Deliveries. This way we can continue deliveries safely and conveniently.

Due to the unique over-the-air connectivity of our vehicles, you can unlock your new car at a delivery parking lot via the Tesla mobile app, sign any remaining relevant paperwork in your car, and then easily return that paperwork to an on-site drop-off location prior to leaving. This method provides additional convenience and comfort.

• Informative
Hey, All. I just received this official email from Tesla, Brooklyn. Seems like we finally have an answer of sorts about delays. They're closing the store and, when they return, will use contactless delivery. Did anyone else get the same email? See below:

I hope this message finds you and your loved ones well in these challenging times.

Tesla is committed to the safety of its team and customers and will be temporarily closing the Brooklyn Showroom/Delivery Center due to the COVID-19 global pandemic.

In recent weeks Tesla has followed all recommendations by the CDC and has innovated by executing Contactless Test Drives and Deliveries to ensure both a safe and elevated experience for our customers.

Congratulations on your Model Y order! I will be your point of contact through out your delivery experience and I will be here for you if you have any questions along the way.

Due to the closure your delivery will be postponed until further notice. This is a tentative adjustment to your delivery in order to guarantee you top priority once operations resume. We will certainly be in touch to confirm as more details surface on the timeline.

Once again your safety is paramount and at the heart of all we do and even though we have the safest cars in the world, we want to ensure your safety when you come visit us.

When we re-open, we will continue executing Contactless Test Drives and Contactless Deliveries. This way we can continue deliveries safely and conveniently.

Due to the unique over-the-air connectivity of our vehicles, you can unlock your new car at a delivery parking lot via the Tesla mobile app, sign any remaining relevant paperwork in your car, and then easily return that paperwork to an on-site drop-off location prior to leaving. This method provides additional convenience and comfort.
I only wish I had been given such clear information by the Mt. Kisco dealership. Still doesn't say anything about how many already-built cars they have in the pipeline, though.