Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No OBECHE front console!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im sorry the thing has been going on for like a year now. They have the veneer why can't they make it! Quite frankly i shouldn't even have to pay for the damn thing. 100k luxury car and the placement of cupholders is terrible. Not to mention all the space in the back of the car and i had to spend 700 for the rear console(cup holders). I have rigged up something in the front for now but it pretty sad that I have to. And when I want to actually buy the thing they won't make it! What pisses me off is that this thing has been on hold for a while and that they made a rear console with obeche before they delivered the front one thats been back ordered for a year! They just seem really unorganized and just don't seem to care.
+1.........................:mad:.....couldn't stand the provided cupholders so much, within 2 weeks of receiving my car i got something at WALMART (YES, believe it) and after more than 50 hours of customizing "created" a functional front console, w cupholders low between the seats, easily accessible slots for cellphone and other misc stuff, and a lockable sliding top large storage bin!! AND.........a flat obeche top! THOUGHT it would be a temp thing until TESLA delivered their......................after 2 YEARS.........I DONT think I care anymore. THIS is the most DISAPPOINTING thing I can say about TESLA....................so......not bad.

+1.........................:mad:.....couldn't stand the provided cupholders so much, within 2 weeks of receiving my car i got something at WALMART (YES, believe it) and after more than 50 hours of customizing "created" a functional front console, w cupholders low between the seats, easily accessible slots for cellphone and other misc stuff, and a lockable sliding top large storage bin!! AND.........a flat obeche top! THOUGHT it would be a temp thing until TESLA delivered their......................after 2 YEARS.........I DONT think I care anymore. THIS is the most DISAPPOINTING thing I can say about TESLA....................so......not bad.
This sounds amazing. Pics please!

I just ordered the premium rear console in black leather and obeche gloss, no problem getting that. But when I call and try to order obese gloss from center console they say its back ordered! This is ridiculous! They have the veneer to make the rear console but not the front which I feel is more important. The girl told me I can order piano black. I asked if I could swap out that piece for obeche gloss when available and she said no. I asked if they were ever going top make obeche gloss front consoles and she said eventually. This is straight up stupid and terrible customer service. They can't even make decent cup holders in the first place but here I am still willing to buy what I shouldn't have to pay for! They're actually loosing money! The product has been great from day one but the service is ****!
:cursing:

I understand your frustration. I have Obeche matte and decided to order the piano black center insert because I simply was not willing to wait forever. Originally, having it match was very important to me. But since I usually plug my phone in and keep other small items in the area that is enclosed by the cover, the cover is just about always open. So I can't even see it. Also, when closed, it looks totally appropriate for my taste and I am pretty darn picky. It doesn't stick out or look out of place to me. So it may not be as bad as you think. I completely agree with the idea of it all matching and if I were to buy the rear console, I would insist on Obeche because it is always visible. I will say that having the center console is great. That large open space was nothing more to me than a place for things to rattle around, which drives me crazy.

Hope this helps.

And yes...Tesla, get your act together on vendor management. Six month lead for something so insignificant (manufacturing wise) and so obviously available is unacceptable.

6 months! I wish it was only 6 months. I have been on the waiting list for 1 YEAR! Most likely 3 months to go. That is triple the lead time of a brand new S85D which I will have in a few weeks. The console was ordered for my previous Model S. Fortunately I ordered the Obeche both times so if I ever get the console, it will be the correct finish

Actuatlly when I picked up my car. I got a factory tour and saw them making seats in house maybe this has changed. hopefully not outsourced to china

Futuris their supplier for seats (not clear if they are for the next gen seats since a lot of people believe those are Recaro seats) is building them in the factory for Tesla but have obtained their own location and production will be moving off site. I'd imagine Tesla gave Futuris a good deal on space to do this since it got the seats being built really close and Tesla had a bunch of extra space.

I just ordered the premium rear console in black leather and obeche gloss, no problem getting that. But when I call and try to order obese gloss from center console they say its back ordered! This is ridiculous! They have the veneer to make the rear console but not the front which I feel is more important. The girl told me I can order piano black. I asked if I could swap out that piece for obeche gloss when available and she said no. I asked if they were ever going top make obeche gloss front consoles and she said eventually. This is straight up stupid and terrible customer service. They can't even make decent cup holders in the first place but here I am still willing to buy what I shouldn't have to pay for! They're actually loosing money! The product has been great from day one but the service is ****!
:cursing:

I totally understand and your frustration is justified. I've been on the waiting list for the front center console since October of 2013. So almost 18 months. And when the console finally becomes available in carbon fiber, it will have white/grey stitching that does not match my car's interior black stitching. Tesla said it is making consoles to match current interiors, not past interiors, so that's a nice middle finger to early customers. Yet I still wait, patiently.

OP, have you tried throwing yourself on the ground in the nearest service station and thrashing around there screaming and crying and demanding your gloss obeche front console? It can do no harm giving it a try.

LOL! But with all seriousness he's kindoff right. It's strange Tesla is able to deliver the rear console in obeche and the center console only in piano black. They propably are still having troubles delivering the center consoles due to the high demand.

OP maybe you could just order the piano black console and wrap it in matte black? And just order the center consolein obeche when it's available? When you've ordered the rear console it would be weird not having the front one.. Imho.

I totally understand and your frustration is justified. I've been on the waiting list for the front center console since October of 2013. So almost 18 months. And when the console finally becomes available in carbon fiber, it will have white/grey stitching that does not match my car's interior black stitching. Tesla said it is making consoles to match current interiors, not past interiors, so that's a nice middle finger to early customers. Yet I still wait, patiently.

This seems like an easy fix with a black fabric pen. I think you'll be okay.

There was also the shoe polish suggestion in the other thread. I have no idea which would work better.

I recommended the shoe polish. Though, I am only reflecting on when I used to regularly detail a classic car when I was a kid. I think it depends on the material of the stitching. A vinyl sticking may not absorb the color too well. I am in the same boat as AmpedRealtor. If no choice, I will get the white stitching, and if I don't like it, maybe test a discreet area first.

Interesting enough, I have a friend with a early MS (Dec 2012) that has white stitching. I have seen it myself. I have not heard of anyone else with this until the big change last year.

I understand your frustration. I have Obeche matte and decided to order the piano black center insert because I simply was not willing to wait forever. Originally, having it match was very important to me. But since I usually plug my phone in and keep other small items in the area that is enclosed by the cover, the cover is just about always open. So I can't even see it. Also, when closed, it looks totally appropriate for my taste and I am pretty darn picky. It doesn't stick out or look out of place to me. So it may not be as bad as you think. I completely agree with the idea of it all matching and if I were to buy the rear console, I would insist on Obeche because it is always visible. I will say that having the center console is great. That large open space was nothing more to me than a place for things to rattle around, which drives me crazy.

Hope this helps.

And yes...Tesla, get your act together on vendor management. Six month lead for something so insignificant (manufacturing wise) and so obviously available is unacceptable.

Thanks maybe i will get the black console after all. This did help thank you!

@AmpedRealtor,

The fabric pens do work, but I have found that Regular Sharpies will "soak up" the stitching much better/more than the fabric pens. Giving a deeper color the first time. I've had to do this for red and black. Both had the same outcome of Sharpie for the win, in my opinion.
It is a little time consuming, but well worth the look your going for. If you have light colored seats, I would suggest taping right along the stitch line for wherever your working at the moment... Just in case you get a little too confident with the Sharpie.

P.S. If you are trying to tackle an entire interior stitching color change, make sure to work in sections from day to day. An entire interior will take several hours in one sitting.

"Black fabric pen"... I'll be sure to remember that. Thanks!