Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No offense, the current card/phone setup is utter *sugar*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fob can't come soon enough.

I have a 2015 Model S with a plain old RF fob.. and I hate to disappoint you but fobs don't work perfectly 100% of the time either. The funny thing is that I could be walking my dogs and pass within 6-7 feet of my car with the fob in my pocket and the door handles will present and side mirrors will open, but i could a few hours later walk up to my car with the same fob in my pocket (and the intention of getting into my car) and it will continue to sleep as if there is a fob nowhere in sight. I have to reach into my pocket and manually press the fob to unlock. Does it happen very often? no. but it happens often enough. i'm not sure having a fob is going to be the holy grail you are expecting...

The first problems I had with my iphone X was after updating to iOS 12 the other day. After doing that upgrade, I had to take the phone out of my pocket and start up the screen (not unlock it or anything else, just light up the screen) to unlock the car. A hard reboot of the phone and it works normally again - from the pocket, no screen light up. Might be worth a try if you just got that new XS.

I would check your location services and permissions. the update to iOS 12 may have changed something and it is probably an easy fix.

This is why I am a part of the temper folks expectations brigade. People are hating on BT thinking the fob is going to solve all the issues, when the fob is BT based itself.

I agree 100% -- yes there may be a few less "moving parts" with a fob vs phone-as-key, but the underlying technology is the same.

on a somewhat unrelated note, This thread has made me wonder if users of more modern Model S with BT fobs have had more or less issues with their BT than they did with their RF fobs.

I have to reach into my pocket and manually press the fob to unlock.

two things:

1) reaching into your pocket and pressing a button is very, very different from either having to get our your phone and futz around with it to open the app or get out your wallet and fumble around with it to find the keycard or make sure it's facing the right way, tap it, then put either one of those away.

2) the key part of your sentence there is pressing a button. the 3 doesn't have self presenting handles, so you'll always have to press the door handle to unlock. that alone should make it 100% reliable, just like my volt (which hasn't failed once in the 5 years i've owned it). fob is in pocket, press button on handle, doors unlock. simple.

Reactions: ratsbew
I have a 2015 Model S with a plain old RF fob.. and I hate to disappoint you but fobs don't work perfectly 100% of the time either. The funny thing is that I could be walking my dogs and pass within 6-7 feet of my car with the fob in my pocket and the door handles will present and side mirrors will open, but i could a few hours later walk up to my car with the same fob in my pocket (and the intention of getting into my car) and it will continue to sleep as if there is a fob nowhere in sight. I have to reach into my pocket and manually press the fob to unlock. Does it happen very often? no. but it happens often enough. i'm not sure having a fob is going to be the holy grail you are expecting...

Never said I was expecting the holy grail. But a dedicated piece of hardware is going to have a helluva lot better chance of being reliable than multiple pieces of hardware, software, OSs, and firmware trying to ballet around each other nearly blindly.

I hope you won't be too disappointed that I am going to be a lot more comfortable with the ~25 years of nearly flawless experience with fobs than the 10 years of disjointed marriage of BT on disparate devices manufactured by unrelated companies that are not collaborators.

I have an LG G7 and just got my M3 last week. I've noticed the doors are not locking when I walk away from the car. I even waiting for my phone to tell me it's disconnected from the car (I guess via bluetooth) and still didn't see the car lock (mirrors did not fold). Is there a setting in the car to autolock/autounlock?

Mine started great and is now less so. I frequently have to take the phone out of my pocket and just wake it up, or sometimes cycle bluetooth on and off. It's fine probably 17 times out of 20, but that's still too few.

this is the part that blows my mind: the people who insist that having it fail a few times is acceptable. it's the primary method of entering and driving your vehicle. how long have keys existed? for it to fail even once EVER (aside from the obvious dead battery possibility) is unacceptable, IMO.

Reactions: rdlink
As this is YAPAKT (Yet Another Phone As Key Thread) I reckon the common thread is people.
Therefore I conclude that without evidence to prove it that it must be a Layer 8 issue :D

Yep. That's why Tesla started developing a fob within a couple of months of starting to deliver the car. Because people stupid.

Thousands of people having issues similar to what we have all experienced with BT technology on phones and computers in the past are stupid...:rolleyes:

I can’t wait for the fob just so I don’t have to see another one of these threads.

Btw, 100% success rate with my new iPhone Xs so far.

wet summer for you guys in the northeast, yes? i hope the first time it fails for you (and it will), you're standing there in the pouring rain with a bag full of groceries holding the door handle in trying to figure out what has gone wrong. please do let us know when that happens...we all will be eager to hear your thoughts on the phone key at that point.