Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No one buying this Model S because?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been watching this Inventory Model S stagnate on the CPO site and I'm curious about everyone's opinions as to why.
60 kWh Model S 080117 | Tesla Motors
it doesn't have AP but for $3000 that can be added right? Is it the price, color, the 60 battery, the options or lack thereof etc? I'm thinking people start to consider it and then consider the price differential between this 60 and a made to order 70. Once that calculation has been made it's pretty easy to justify buying a new 70, once that justification has been made it's an easy leap to a CPO S85 and from there a higher mileage, lower VIN P85 but then you're missing out on the AP all over again and start to reconsider the inventory 60. Vicious circle, sigh....

It's the most stripped down model Tesla made, without a single option added, and they don't even make a model that low anymore, I can see how it would be a tough sell.

On the bright side, the longer it stagnates, the cheaper it gets, and the better deal someone will get eventually.

AP cannot be added for any price on a model without the hardware.

With a VIN 80k+ I thought they all had the hardware installed (like supercharging) just not enabled. That's why I mentioned the $3k to enable

- - - Updated - - -

It's the most stripped down model Tesla made, without a single option added, and they don't even make a model that low anymore, I can see how it would be a tough sell.

On the bright side, the longer it stagnates, the cheaper it gets, and the better deal someone will get eventually.
exactly! I'm surprised TM hasn't been hacking money of this each week it sits, they haven't reduced it any to my knowledge. IMHO it should be $60k before any incentives for it to get any real attention from CPO/INV buyers.

I'm thinking people start to consider it and then consider the price differential between this 60 and a made to order 70

There is no price difference. In fact a new S70 is cheaper.

On the S60 page it says "$67,920 cash price before EV incentives". Adding supercharging will cost $2500. Assuming AP can be added that's another $3000. Total price would be $73,420. However, right now brand new S70 with metallic paint ($1000 extra) costs $71,000 before incentives.

When the S60 was discontinued, the base price was $69,900 and that didn't include $2500 supercharging (or $2000 if purchased with the car). The S70 base price is $70,000 including supercharging. That means a new S70 is $2400 cheaper than what the S60 was before it was discontinued in Apr 2015. It looks like Tesla forgot to reflect that in their CPO pricing. Maybe you were comparing S60 to 70D and didn't realize Tesla also started selling the S70 which is the direct comparison. The S70 was added after 17 Jul 2015 when ludicrous mode was announced.

Last edited:
Tesla isn't that crazy I think....

I think it has supercharging enabled (as all CPOs are supposed to have) and they probably have autopilot enabled and forgot to list it.

I still wouldn't buy it and I doubt anyone else would at that price but at least it would have a chance. But $5k for new and 10 extra KWH is a no brainer.

Tesla isn't that crazy I think....

My guess is the pricing is based on the sale price of the S60 and completely ignores the S70 sale price.

I checked another random S60 and the brand new S70 version is $5421 cheaper.

60 kWh Model S P74726 | Tesla Motors
S60 price: $81,171 before incentives

$70,000 Model S 70
$2500 Tech Package with Autopilot
$1000 Grey Metallic Paint
$1500 All Glass Panoramic Roof
$0000 19" Wheels
$1750 Black Leather Seats
$1000 Carbon Fiber Décor
$0000 Textile Headliner
$0000 Supercharger Enabled
$1000 Subzero Weather Package

New S70 price with same options: $78.750 before incentives.

$67,920 cash price for a used S60??? LOL that's why. wAY overpriced

To be fair, its not used it was "displayed".
I would never pay close to 70k for a discontinued model, even if that was a s85 with zero options I would balk at that price. That car has sold/made customers happy as a loaner quite a few times over to try and get about that 90% of the retail cost back?

I think it has supercharging enabled (as all CPOs are supposed to have) and they probably have autopilot enabled and forgot to list it.
That's interesting speculation, but it's hard to be certain, Those are usually added by Tesla to CPO cars as a way to raise the price and profit margin for cars they bought for less, On an S60 with no options at all, they probably want to keep the price as low as possible.
Also, although "all CPOs are supposed to" have SC enabled, they also all list it as such, so the omission seems interesting.

I think this really points to a failure of Tesla's pricing formulas, they're all based on original purchase price minus calculated depreciation, with no regard for newer advancements (note many P85+ cars with about the same performance as a new 85D but priced higher)

I think they need to either tweak their formulas, or move to more flexible pricing on a per-car basis.

Such a weird combo. It might a car for practical purposes such as: someone doing a car service, commuter car only, a company car for a traveling sales rep or has just the absolute minimum $ to afford one. However, Tesla has priced it like it has features that it doesn't. It's almost priced higher relative to other cars with many more options. So, what should Tesla price this at in order to one it. I say $55 less rebates and it'd be gone in an hour. $60 less rebates and it'd sit for a few more weeks but someone would take it (assuming AP can be enabled). Stay at this price and it won't sell period.

I called and asked what the deal was with this car. Here's the answers. Has AP hardware but not enabled. Only option is the paint upgrade that was $750 at production time. I explained that this vehicle compared to a new 70 was more expensive considering the $1000/$2000 referral credit AND the fact that the 70 comes with the larger battery, more tech package features as standard equipment and supercharging, warranty and this is an older car with a few thousand miles etc etc. He said he saw my point and thought it might be possible to get the AP and Supercharging "flipped on" for this vehicle as the pricing didn't make any sense and it would cost them any money to do those two features. He said that if I was interested in it that he would make the call to the SC and explain to them why the car is priced off base. I'm not interested in the vehicle as it is spec 'd out so I passed on the offer. This is the first time I had heard Tesla being open to offers. For what that's worth to anyone out there...

... He said that if I was interested in it that he would make the call to the SC and explain to them why the car is priced off base. I'm not interested in the vehicle as it is spec 'd out so I passed on the offer. This is the first time I had heard Tesla being open to offers. For what that's worth to anyone out there...
Would he have actually taken an offer from you to present, or just say that he would ask about the pricing on the car.?

His offer was to (paraphrasing here) "reach out to the local SC and explain the pricing discrepancy and see if they would be willing to enable those features (AP, Supercharging)." He then followed up by saying that they don't usually negotiate on prices but "this one clearly doesn't make any sense..."

Ok, this is weird. Two hours after starting this thread, the car in question is gone from the site. I know I didn't buy it... Did someone buy it, did the Tesla rep draw attention to it and it was pulled, is Big Brother watching and reading the forums that closely?