Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No owner's discount @ Tesla Online Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a owner, we get 20% off apparels, mugs, hats, etc (just not car accessories). I've gotten Hats, T-shirt (FREE walking adverstisement for Tesla!!). However, my local Tesla stores has a pretty slim pickings of Tesla goodies which I see they have online.

I emailed Tesla and this was their response:

"Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. Unfortunately, owner discounts on accessories do not extend to online purchases. Additionally, the discounts are only applicable towards merchandise such as apparel not vehicle accessories.

We apologize for any inconvenience. Please let us know if you have any questions."

I'm disappointed that Tesla does not extend this discount to online stores. It can be something as simple as logging into MyTesla, and applying the discounts where appropriate. Anyone else find this annoying? Maybe if we get some feedback from online forums, we can get Tesla to change their policy and work something into their online store.

Thoughts?? :confused::cursing::mad:

I've never heard of a discount. Even if the person ringing-up the order knows full well I own a Tesla (because we're talking about it), there is never mention of a discount. Also, I found it weird that some owners got free merchandise when they picked-up their cars, while us early owners never seemed to get anything... Not complaining, but just find it weird that others feel entitled to discounts...

I had been informed back in the day that the in-store discount was just for Roadster owners, not Model S owners. But seeing as I had been coming into the store regularly since the Roadster days, bought one of the first Model S's there, and attended a lot of EV and car shows with my Model S they extended it to me as a nice courtesy. Never anything I counted on, just a nice thank you. Haven't bought any Tesla gear in a while, so no idea what the policy is these days.

When I bought my fist MS in 2013, I got a free polo-shirt. When I got another one earlier this year, I got 2 hats which I asked to switch to anything else (since I don't wear hats) but was told that's it. When I asked, I was told there are no discounts on other items, but then again they also told me my car produces 691hp, including when I happen to walk by the store last week, so I guess they can be just completely uninformed.

So, what can you buy with the owner-referral credit?
Nothing online, so ...
Can my Service Center get a Chademo Adapter for me to buy there ... they say No.

Can I pay for the LTE upgrade at the Service Center?

How about buying Trak Sport snow chains ... out of stock.

If the Tesla Store can get something, can I use my credit to buy it?

If a Service Center can get something, or has something like parts,
floor mats, etc., can I buy that with my credit?

So, what can you buy with the owner-referral credit?
Nothing online, so ...
Can my Service Center get a Chademo Adapter for me to buy there ... they say No.

Can I pay for the LTE upgrade at the Service Center?

How about buying Trak Sport snow chains ... out of stock.

If the Tesla Store can get something, can I use my credit to buy it?

If a Service Center can get something, or has something like parts,
floor mats, etc., can I buy that with my credit?

I've purchased an HPWC and a chademo adapter using referral credits, through my local service center.

Tesla uses Shopify for their online store, and perhaps it's not a simple thing to integrate their owner database into that platform.

My other thought: this 20% discount thing is nice to get at all in a store. Why do you feel entitled to it?

I never said I was entitled to it. It's something they've mentioned to me when I purchased the car, as well as at the service center.

I've gone back and purchased merchandise (cups, water bottles, baby onesie) and the people at the store are always friendly about it.
So yes, you do get 20% discount at the stores. Just not automotive accessories.

The way I see it, I'm helping support Tesla and walking around with their merchandise helps start conversations about Tesla, which I'm more than happy to share my love of the car about to people.

For those that didn't know about it, all you have to do is ask and be friendly about it. :)