Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No owner's discount @ Tesla Online Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never said I was entitled to it. It's something they've mentioned to me when I purchased the car, as well as at the service center.
Their policy, clearly, is to give this discount at the stores, not online. But then, when they didn't give you 20% off at the online store, you found it "annoying" enough to "get some feedback from online forums [so] we can get Tesla to change their policy." Sure sounds like you feel entitled to that discount all the time.

The way I see it, I'm helping support Tesla and walking around with their merchandise helps start conversations about Tesla, which I'm more than happy to share my love of the car about to people.
I'm also happy to evangelize Tesla, but I'm not complaining about not getting a discount on those items. If they choose to give me an owner's discount, that's awesome. However, demanding the discount seems to go against the idea of you supporting Tesla.

I've bought quite a few Apple products, too. Yet, when I go into their Cupertino store as an owner of their products, they don't give me a discount on t-shirts! Unbelievable! :wink:

I'm not demanding a discount, it's something they've clearly stated to me from when I purchased the car and also when I visited the service center. I'd simply like Tesla to extend their discount to online stores as there is a much more selection, that's all. Even the employees at the stores were surprised they didn't do this online. They even tried to help me in the stores. Everyone was very friendly... unlike you.

Quoting Apple is not the same. Did Apple tell you they would get discount for accessories??

In the meantime, the "nice" folks at the Store said they would help me order what I wanted and provide the discount. :)

I'm not demanding a discount, it's something they've clearly stated to me from when I purchased the car and also when I visited the service center. I'd simply like Tesla to extend their discount to online stores as there is a much more selection, that's all. Even the employees at the stores were surprised they didn't do this online. They even tried to help me in the stores. Everyone was very friendly... unlike you.

Sorry if I sounded unfriendly; that isn't my intention.

I also realize that sounding entitled isn't your intention. Yet, after emailing Tesla and being specifically told that their policy on owner discounts did not extend to the online store, your response was to come here and say, "Maybe if we get some feedback from online forums, we can get Tesla to change their policy." I'm not clear on how that is not demanding the discount.

You've highlighted a general issue about Tesla, though: the information you get from headquarters sometimes conflicts with the information the stores and service centers have received. But the time it actually matters is when there's a difference between being charged $500 or $1000 for a package upgrade, not when paying $15 or $20 for a shirt.

In the meantime, the "nice" folks at the Store said they would help me order what I wanted and provide the discount. :)
That's great, and it was really nice of them to do that.

FYI..I was just in the showroom/store at Fashion Island in Newport Beach, CA and wanted to purchase a track jacket--I inquired about the discount and was told there was no discount, then was told there was but it was only for Roadster owners because "they aren't as common as MS owners."

Oh well :)

• Informative
Reactions: jbredz28
My Owner Adviser... advised us of this in-store discount the day we ordered our Model S. This was shortly after I made him give us one of those lovely fleece blankets and a hat (thanks Nick!). This was in September, 2015. Question to those who didn't know about said discount; Did you purchase online or though a physical Tesla store?

My Owner Adviser... advised us of this in-store discount the day we ordered our Model S. This was shortly after I made him give us one of those lovely fleece blankets and a hat (thanks Nick!). This was in September, 2015. Question to those who didn't know about said discount; Did you purchase online or though a physical Tesla store?
Was not told of this discount when I ordered at the UTC Showroom or at SC pick-up. I try to avoid malls as much as possible, but the couple times I've been to the UTC Showroom, they didn't have hardly any swag in-stock, so I mentally ruled out that option and have just kept an eye on the online store, purchasing 100% from there at retail.

FYI..I was just in the showroom/store at Fashion Island in Newport Beach, CA and wanted to purchase a track jacket--I inquired about the discount and was told there was no discount, then was told there was but it was only for Roadster owners because "they aren't as common as MS owners."
I have never heard of a Roadster owner who was given a Tesla accessories or clothing discount just because they were a Roadster owner. I'm not saying it has never happened, but I don't believe that is Tesla company policy.

Last edited:
Was not told of this discount when I ordered at the UTC Showroom or at SC pick-up. I try to avoid malls as much as possible, but the couple times I've been to the UTC Showroom, they didn't have hardly any swag in-stock, so I mentally ruled out that option and have just kept an eye on the online store, purchasing 100% from there at retail.

Odd, as I got mine from UTC as well. Also mentioned the discount to a service guy at the SC and he acknowledged it but reiterated that it was only for the store in the mall.

My wife got an owner's discount at the local store a few years ago. She tried again a few months ago, and they told her that they had discontinued the program because most buyers were claiming to be owners and they didn't want to have to check ID and look everybody up.

There may be a corporate-wide policy that is badly communicated. Or it could be that the policy is set by each store (which would help explain why it's only available in-store).

I had the opposite situation. I asked a sales advisor how much the iphone case was, she told me $50, but that there was a 20% discount. Then I smiled and said that I (at that moment) was not an actual Tesla owner. She smiled back and said, I'm sure one day you will be and offered the discount to me anyway. I think its completely hit or miss.

I believe it was stated on other posts HERE about this discount and that the 20% only applies to apparel, in store. the OP was making a comment that (perhaps) for people not near a showroom (as they are called here in Texas) to get the discount online. I've read here people showing their key (or maybe their TOG hat?) to get the 20%.

I've never seen anyone refer to the discount being good for non-apparel items in-store or not; so hat, shirts type things only. Every time I see it mentioned here, it's been with the note that you had to ask for it and they'd get it.

P.S. While an employee at Apple, there was a perk of a discount... but alas not owners (or stockholders).