Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Performance Model Until Next Year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bummer... I really wanted a top of the line performance Model 3. I think I am going to defer until I can get that even though I may lose some of the tax credit. Despite being a Tesla owner and waiting in line on March 31 I guess I won't be be taking early deliveries of the Model 3. On the positive side, this will allow Tesla some time to work out some of the kinks before I get my loaded, top of the line Model 3.

Actually, I might get the RWD Model 3 for my parents as planned since they don't really care about any options other than the Autopilot HW2 technology and any other safety-related options.

WhAt are you assuming the performance model 3 will be? All the tweets ibe read form musk say if you wnat performance, buy an S. Also that the S and X will always lead in features.

Seems like everytime info comes to light about rhe 3, people get pissed that the rumors are false.

The 3 isnt a half priced, smaller model S.

I wouldnt be surprised if the top of the line 3 is better than a base S, but i dont know...none if us do.

Yeah, if you want a PD model, as I do, it sounds like next March will probably be the earliest you'll see it. And he lowered expectations about both the level of performance to expect as well as any possibility of a HUD. For me, disappointing all around, unfortunately. :(

Reactions: William3
WhAt are you assuming the performance model 3 will be? All the tweets ibe read form musk say if you wnat performance, buy an S. Also that the S and X will always lead in features.
After the reveal, he was asked on twitter if there would be a ludicrous mode, and he answered, "of course". Then again, he also said it would have spaceship like controls, which I don't see happening either.

Yeah, I'm still not completely sold that there isn't more than he's letting on with the instrumentation. He has already set us up to expect improvement somewhere above what we already know/have seen. I think that things like performance, AP, battery, etc are generally known quantities. No room for a shocker there. I think the only room for improvement is with the interior, so I find it hard to believe that we won't see some pretty big changes there.

I never really understood souping up a CVCC to make it feel fast but some folks really enjoy this sort of thing. Hot hatch shootout: cutting 20 contenders down to 10 on the drag strip
Even a vanilla 3 is going to feel zippier than most cars with the weight and torque combination out of the box. If you really want punch, get an S.
The base Model 3 has a 0-60 of under 6 seconds. It will be quicker than a base X (6 seconds) but probably not as quick as a base S.

I never really understood souping up a CVCC to make it feel fast but some folks really enjoy this sort of thing. Hot hatch shootout: cutting 20 contenders down to 10 on the drag strip
Even a vanilla 3 is going to feel zippier than most cars with the weight and torque combination out of the box. If you really want punch, get an S.

Probably the same reason people drive roadsters and small coupes that are fast. Small, fast cars are really fun to drive. They feel way more nimble than a full sized performance sedan or muscle car. My husbands S4 feels like a compact compared to my P85, and it is just as fun to drive as my S even if the straighline performance is technically less.

A P3L would be a total blast zipping through traffic or running curvy roads just due to its smaller size.

Reactions: Canuck
WhAt are you assuming the performance model 3 will be?

It will be just that: A performance version of the Model 3. What are you assuming it will be? It sounds like you assume it will be non-existent.

All the tweets ibe read form musk say if you wnat performance, buy an S.

What about this one, that says if you want a Performance Model 3, you can get one, in his words: "probably a year from now":

Elon Musk on Twitter

Also that the S and X will always lead in features.

That's expected. But for me, I'm really looking forward to the 3 being a smaller vehicle to zip around in, and that's a great feature that my S will never have. So it can't lead in that one. Plus, while it will be slower than a Performance S, I doubt it will be slow by any means. And the best part is the electric, silent, instant torque.

Probably the same reason people drive roadsters and small coupes that are fast. Small, fast cars are really fun to drive. They feel way more nimble than a full sized performance sedan or muscle car. My husbands S4 feels like a compact compared to my P85, and it is just as fun to drive as my S even if the straighline performance is technically less.

A P3L would be a total blast zipping through traffic or running curvy roads just due to its smaller size.
Very true. The smaller and less powerful BMW M2 was consistently reviewed as being "more fun" to drive than the BMW M4, for example. Also, straightline performance is more a muscle car thing than a sports car thing. It's good to have, esp if the wheels don't slip. But how a "performance" oriented car handles turns at speed is key - wildly different behavior from different car models.