TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

No Performance Model Until Next Year

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by voltage, Mar 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. voltage

voltage Member

@elonmusk is there going to be a Performance 3? Would love to see the power of a Model S with the light weight of a Model 3

@dr_angus Yeah, probably a year from now. S will still win on acceleration though, due to having more space for a larger battery.

• Informative x 2
  2. Bruin1996

Bruin1996 Member

Bummer... I really wanted a top of the line performance Model 3. I think I am going to defer until I can get that even though I may lose some of the tax credit. Despite being a Tesla owner and waiting in line on March 31 I guess I won't be be taking early deliveries of the Model 3. On the positive side, this will allow Tesla some time to work out some of the kinks before I get my loaded, top of the line Model 3.

Actually, I might get the RWD Model 3 for my parents as planned since they don't really care about any options other than the Autopilot HW2 technology and any other safety-related options.

3. Buddy

Buddy Member

WhAt are you assuming the performance model 3 will be? All the tweets ibe read form musk say if you wnat performance, buy an S. Also that the S and X will always lead in features.

Seems like everytime info comes to light about rhe 3, people get pissed that the rumors are false.

The 3 isnt a half priced, smaller model S.

I wouldnt be surprised if the top of the line 3 is better than a base S, but i dont know...none if us do.

4. Alketi

Alketi Member

Yeah, if you want a PD model, as I do, it sounds like next March will probably be the earliest you'll see it. And he lowered expectations about both the level of performance to expect as well as any possibility of a HUD. For me, disappointing all around, unfortunately. :(

• Like x 1
  5. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

This is terrible news....

• Like x 1
  6. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

After the reveal, he was asked on twitter if there would be a ludicrous mode, and he answered, "of course". Then again, he also said it would have spaceship like controls, which I don't see happening either.

7. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

Yeah, I'm still not completely sold that there isn't more than he's letting on with the instrumentation. He has already set us up to expect improvement somewhere above what we already know/have seen. I think that things like performance, AP, battery, etc are generally known quantities. No room for a shocker there. I think the only room for improvement is with the interior, so I find it hard to believe that we won't see some pretty big changes there.

8. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

What makes you think there will be any improvements there?

9. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

But it is good news for Tesla's Q2 sales. As intended.

Time to place those Model S/X orders people... (wishes Tesla) :)

10. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

11. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

Musk said we were going to see a car that was in a lot of ways better than the one at the reveal. I don't know what else he could mean by that.

12. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

The base Model 3 has a 0-60 of under 6 seconds. It will be quicker than a base X (6 seconds) but probably not as quick as a base S.

13. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Elon Musk on Twitter

14. SuperDragon

SuperDragon Member

This is really disappointing :(

15. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Probably the same reason people drive roadsters and small coupes that are fast. Small, fast cars are really fun to drive. They feel way more nimble than a full sized performance sedan or muscle car. My husbands S4 feels like a compact compared to my P85, and it is just as fun to drive as my S even if the straighline performance is technically less.

A P3L would be a total blast zipping through traffic or running curvy roads just due to its smaller size.

• Like x 1
  16. dennis

dennis P85D

Oh bummer, 0-60 for Model 3 75PDL will only be 3.0 rather than 2.28. What a POS.

• Funny x 4
  17. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

It will be just that: A performance version of the Model 3. What are you assuming it will be? It sounds like you assume it will be non-existent.

What about this one, that says if you want a Performance Model 3, you can get one, in his words: "probably a year from now":

Elon Musk on Twitter

That's expected. But for me, I'm really looking forward to the 3 being a smaller vehicle to zip around in, and that's a great feature that my S will never have. So it can't lead in that one. Plus, while it will be slower than a Performance S, I doubt it will be slow by any means. And the best part is the electric, silent, instant torque.

• Like x 2
  18. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

Very true. The smaller and less powerful BMW M2 was consistently reviewed as being "more fun" to drive than the BMW M4, for example. Also, straightline performance is more a muscle car thing than a sports car thing. It's good to have, esp if the wheels don't slip. But how a "performance" oriented car handles turns at speed is key - wildly different behavior from different car models.