Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No phantom drain - Related to recent update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondered if anyone experienced anything unusual with the SOC recently.

I had the MY since March and as per usual, I’m always expected to lose a few % due to the phantom drain each day so pretty consistent and normal in that sense.

However, I charged the car two nights ago and brought it up to 80% (I normally only take it up to 80%). Been two days now where I have not used the car nor have I charged it. Not only did I not lose any energy, I gained 1 % so the car is now at 81% SOC.

Yes the car may have been in a deep sleep but even so I would still expect it to lose some juice and not gain any? Is this normal? because it’s a very nice “normal” if so. Or could it be something to do with the recent 2022.24 update?

The only way I lose a few percent a day is if Sentry mode is active. It seems likely that Sentry mode has been turned off, for whatever reason. That might include a software update that glitched it, perhaps the USB drive is full, or Sentry thinks it is off at home and thinks it is home now.

Reactions: init6
Wondered if anyone experienced anything unusual with the SOC recently.

I had the MY since March and as per usual, I’m always expected to lose a few % due to the phantom drain each day so pretty consistent and normal in that sense.

However, I charged the car two nights ago and brought it up to 80% (I normally only take it up to 80%). Been two days now where I have not used the car nor have I charged it. Not only did I not lose any energy, I gained 1 % so the car is now at 81% SOC.

Yes the car may have been in a deep sleep but even so I would still expect it to lose some juice and not gain any? Is this normal? because it’s a very nice “normal” if so. Or could it be something to do with the recent 2022.24 update?
We need more info to comment.
Do you have sentry mode on or off? When you left the car for a couple of days was it at home and was sentry on or off? Was it plugged in even though not charging?
You can 'gain' battery if the temperature increases or rather it's not cold enough to reserve some capacity. Could also be a rounding error.

If you think its related to 2022.24, then there's already a thread to discuss that over here.

Car at home on driveway not plugged in and Sentry off but then again, I've had Sentry off at home for past few months there was always drain. Temperature here in Kent this week is in the low 20s.

So point being is nothing in the charging routine, car setting or how we used the car has changed in the past six months apart from the weather, yet it is definitely noticeable the car is conserving energy better than before which is great.

Just curious on what has actually changed. I'll keep an eye on that thread to see if anyone raises it. For now, I'll just monitor and enjoy the longer lasting battery.

Car at home on driveway not plugged in and Sentry off but then again, I've had Sentry off at home for past few months there was always drain. Temperature here in Kent this week is in the low 20s.

So point being is nothing in the charging routine, car setting or how we used the car has changed in the past six months apart from the weather, yet it is definitely noticeable the car is conserving energy better than before which is great.

Just curious on what has actually changed. I'll keep an eye on that thread to see if anyone raises it. For now, I'll just monitor and enjoy the longer lasting battery.
It's all down to if the car is sleeping. So don't open the app or car doors etc. Don't use third-party tools or Intelligent Octopus etc that risk waking it.

Maybe it was struggling to sleep before.

The anomaly is losing a few percent overnight with the car as described. What you have now sounds like normal behaviour for sentry being off. IIRC if I leave sentry on overnight (and I don't get up early) then I'll lose around 4%. So a few percent for someone using the car during the day sounds like sentry has been on or something else is keeping the car awake.

Always worth checking settings after an update as they can change and I think at least one update impacted sentry settings on some cars.

I think the car reports usable charge on screen - in the winter the battery gets cold and usable charge lowers (you haven't lost that charge when the battery warms it should come back), so leaving the car overnight appears to reduce the charge. Its summer so the battery doesnt cool down as much. Lets revisit this conversation in winter !

Reactions: Cnixon

If you have Cabin Overheat Protection turned on you would have lost power on the hot days as the AC comes on to keep the interior below 40, that's unlikley to have happened this week.

Sorry to bump the thread. I'm trying to assess the typical phantom drain % over my first couple weeks with my new Y.

When parked at home overnight, sentry off, I can see that I have between 0.31kWh - 0.52kWh of energy used on a sleep period of between 13h to 24h... (as reported by Tessie). So sometimes SoC is down by 1% in the morning, sometimes not.
I understand it's not necessarily linear, but 0.5kWh a day is nearly 4% a week, so still a bit concerned..

Is it 'a lot'? Or is it normal / acceptable?

I can see that climate can be on for up to 10 minutes during that time, which is probably the idle/time, unloading the car, etc...

The car is park closed to the house, so I'm probably within bluetooth range for a good part of the evening/night time (even if it's too far for someone to unlock it by pressing a door handle fortunately).

Sorry to bump the thread. I'm trying to assess the typical phantom drain % over my first couple weeks with my new Y.

When parked at home overnight, sentry off, I can see that I have between 0.31kWh - 0.52kWh of energy used on a sleep period of between 13h to 24h... (as reported by Tessie). So sometimes SoC is down by 1% in the morning, sometimes not.
I understand it's not necessarily linear, but 0.5kWh a day is nearly 4% a week, so still a bit concerned..

Is it 'a lot'? Or is it normal / acceptable?

I can see that climate can be on for up to 10 minutes during that time, which is probably the idle/time, unloading the car, etc...

The car is park closed to the house, so I'm probably within bluetooth range for a good part of the evening/night time (even if it's too far for someone to unlock it by pressing a door handle fortunately).
From the manual:

The Battery can discharge at a rate of approximately 1% per day, though the discharge rate may vary depending on environmental factors (such as cold weather)

I don't know the Tessie app, but can it show if the car is asleep?

From the manual:

I don't know the Tessie app, but can it show if the car is asleep?
Yes it can, great for that imho.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd read testimonies from other members boasting a minimal 5% discharge after a 2-3 weeks holiday so was afraid mine was doing poorly... And still new to the feeling that a parked car can cost me ££ in fuel/electricity costs :D but it is what it is and I guess the lower refuelling price should balance things out..