Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to this community and the Tesla world. Still a ways off from my delivery but I have a semi unique issue where I'm not allowed to bring my personal iPhone in to work. This brings with it a few drawbacks and I'm curious on opinions for the best option. There is a phone lockbox of sorts in the parking lot that I could use, but I live in NY so it's not exactly ideal in winter time. So far, I think I've only got 3 options (other than buying a smart ring or something), unfortunately I think all of them mean I won't be able to set the cabin temperature before I leave work. Is there a way to log into the car from your Tesla account through a computer browser? Any other options I'm not aware of that may work better?

#1 Leave the phone in the car with bluetooth off and utilize the keycard during work days.
#2 Purchase the key FOB.
#3 Leave the phone in the lockbox and ensure I park out of bluetooth range.

Appreciate any thoughts and/or experiences. Thanks!
What company doesn’t allow you to bring a cell phone to work? Something in the nuclear industry? I used to call on the nuclear plant in Niskayuna before cell phones.

The two trunks are easily accessible. In the app's notification area, at least on Android, you can gently swipe within the notification and it expands to show a couple of commands you can use without opening up the app:
1630097809837.png

This is the Home screen of the Tesla iOS app. If you go in the Controls section you can open the trunk, so it's not hard to get to, just not right up front.

If you're going to get the fob, I wouldn't worry about turning bluetooth off and leaving the phone in the car etc. or worrying that it is kept in a lockbox out of range of the car -- just don't ever pair the phone as a key and rely solely on the fob. Then you can leave the phone in the car and not worry about turning off bluetooth etc. If you ever lost the fob or just had your phone, you can always use the app to unlock and start the car.

I assume you have to have an ID to access your work areas. I use this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LGBX2JC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to carry my IDs and a Tesla key card. I originally bought it bec is tired of the cheap clips that break, but it Is useful for this as well.
it’s easier to use this instead of digging out my wallet when I’m coming out of work.
Yea, I do have to carry an ID. I was planning to just use the part of my wallet that’s non RFID protected but if they becomes a pain I’ll get something like this, or use the FOB. I’ve got Literal months to figure it out. 🤣

What company doesn’t allow you to bring a cell phone to work? Something in the nuclear industry? I used to call on the nuclear plant in Niskayuna before cell phones.
It's much broader than that. Companies ad other organizations that have sensitive or classified data routinely prohibit it. It isn't so much the phone portion as the ability to take pictures, videos or record conversations. Boeing didn't allow cell phones on their supervised airliner factory tour in 2018 as an example. I worked in financial services and we routinely confiscated the cell phones of workers workers and contractors outside the country where data privacy laws might be different.