Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No plans to introduce air suspension for Model 3 at this time per Elon

Do you care about Air Suspension?

• Yes, this is a deal breaker

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Yes, but I can live without it

Votes: 41 48.2%
  • Nope, there's barely a difference

Votes: 40 47.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dragonxt

Oct 26, 2016
Bay Area
Originally we were promised air suspension would launch along with AWD models. It now appears that there will be no SAS offered for M3.

This could also be Elon trying to convert some buyers waiting on the feature.

Imo if you're looking to purchase a Model 3, air suspension doesn't really do anything much compared to the coils. The only advantage is about an inch of height adjustability.

Elon Musk on Twitter

What are the drawbacks of air suspension? I've never had a car with it so I don't really know. I honestly want it so when my gf drives she could raise the car and not worry about bumps/dips. My car is currently lowered an inch on coilovers.

It's an additional mechanical and electronic failure point. Historically, air suspension components fail a lot sooner than traditional suspension, and when they do fail they fail in a much more noticeable way. When shock/strut stuff wears out, the car generally just gets more wallowy. When air suspension wears out or breaks, your car is set to minimum ride height all the time...

Haven't followed the Model S/X reliability, but it's possible those issues have been resolved. Either way, it's definitely another failure point.

Reactions: evannole
What are the drawbacks of air suspension? I've never had a car with it so I don't really know. I honestly want it so when my gf drives she could raise the car and not worry about bumps/dips. My car is currently lowered an inch on coilovers.
Cost to fix out of warranty is the biggest drawback. Usually with air suspension it's a matter of when it will break, not if.

Used to be worried about extreme cost of repairing air suspension, but lately there are lots of people parting out damaged Tesla.

They provide good condition take off parts at very reasonable pricing.

Makes any repairs cheap and relatively easy.

In addition, Tesla uses a pretty reliable system, with well chosen parts that have not seemed to be prone to failure. Not like the early German stuff.

Same with many other parts that may fail on our beloved Tesla.

I'd rather have adaptive damping with coil suspension, than air suspension with fixed dampers. It doesn't add much cost, and simple variable dampers are quite reliable (in my definition GM Magneride = not simple, a damper with a computer controlled orifice = simple).

All S/X with air suspension, until the new Ravens, have fixed dampers.

The Cadillac ELR has computer variable shocks, with coil suspension.

The Raven cars have variable dampers and air springs :cool:

-J

Magnetic suspension would be a MUCH better option for the Model 3's more performance market. Leave the "yacht" suspension for the S/X.

Also didn't vote because it is an incomplete poll and doesn't reflect my choice and many others too.

Reactions: wenkan
So I test drove a S this weekend and noticed the air suspension thing. So what is the benefit other than if you need a higher clearance you have it? Is there a driving comfort difference?

I am looking for a used so it sounds like they have different tech in the new model anyways, not sure if it is worth it in say a '16.

Imo if you're looking to purchase a Model 3, air suspension doesn't really do anything much compared to the coils. The only advantage is about an inch of height adjustability.
This question has been endlessly discussed in the S/X forums for years. Many people want SAS (air suspension) not only for the ability to adjust the ground clearance (and it’s more than one inch of range) but also for the difference in the ride (according to them).

I had SAS with my S and now have it with my X. Obviously I do not have it on my 3. It is very useful on my X when hitching/unhitching my trailer, for reasons which needn’t concern us here. It can be useful in certain road situations. I don’t miss it on my 3.

I'd rather have adaptive damping with coil suspension, than air suspension with fixed dampers. It doesn't add much cost, and simple variable dampers are quite reliable (in my definition GM Magneride = not simple, a damper with a computer controlled orifice = simple).

All S/X with air suspension, until the new Ravens, have fixed dampers.

The Cadillac ELR has computer variable shocks, with coil suspension.

The Raven cars have variable dampers and air springs :cool:

-J
Can you have adaptive damping with air suspension?