Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Plans to take X, S (or 3) above 100kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot take the Tesla to the mountains.. well I did once... and family won't let me do that again. We had to seek refuge and stop at a private home with a charger (plugshare) landing with less than 10 miles of "range" in the tank.. that really would only give us about 5 in the temperatures we were experiencing.. Range mode ON, driving like a granny below highway speeds, heat was turned OFF at -20C outside... we're all bundled ... kids silent... everyone staring at the screen closing in on a plug watching the battery sink... wife starts to cry. Not fun.
Can you give some more specifics, namely your start city and destination city for that adventure?

All he said was "no plans" and many here have reached like he said "never". I have "no plans" to change homes but I'm certain I won't be living in the house I am now forever. Tesla just released the non-P 100 in the last few weeks. They packed those batteries in so tight they had to change the cooling system to accommodate them all. Plus, they have to work on getting AP2.0 up to par, on the Model 3, on the battery factory, and so much more. So there's no plans for a bigger battery at the moment. That's all.

I actually found it quite encouraging that he added "(or 3)" in his tweet. That almost makes it seem like the 3 could have a 100 option but it makes no sense to me how they can cram that many batteries into a smaller car. I guess a change in size and chemistry of the cell may allow for it which is encouraging.

I'll second the need for (winter) range. Battery or any other tricks... skinnier tires... more aerodynamics.. taller gear ratio.

I cannot take the Tesla to the mountains.. well I did once... and family won't let me do that again. We had to seek refuge and stop at a private home with a charger (plugshare) landing with less than 10 miles of "range" in the tank.. that really would only give us about 5 in the temperatures we were experiencing.. Range mode ON, driving like a granny below highway speeds, heat was turned OFF at -20C outside... we're all bundled ... kids silent... everyone staring at the screen closing in on a plug watching the battery sink... wife starts to cry. Not fun.
Regards,
Scott

You can drive an EV 300-350+ days a year and rent an ICE for long trips that require unknown charging conditions or extreme cold. Or own a standby ICE or just use EV for the 200+ commute days a year. All sorts of recipes for a family involved in the EV culture.

I am having a day trip from Toronto to Algonquin park which is 250KM away. and I don't want to waste half an hour charging up on the way back since it will be a long day. Such trips are rather common.
You have superchargers at Barrie and Huntsville along your route, roughly 1/3rd of the way for each leg of the trip. If this level of supercharging convenience isn't enough for a driver, then yes such a driver isn't well suited for Tesla ownership. This route is doable even in a Model S 40 kWh.

It's like showing up on an ICE forum and complaining because your "allowed idle time in the garage with the door closed" isn't more than a few minutes. Seriously?

Remember Elon wants to use greater than 350kW charging in the v3 supercharging infrastructure....

Yes.

However, a charging power so high that it makes 350 kW seem like a children's toy is actually a compelling argument _against_ batteries above 100 kWh.

You see, if you can bring the SoC of your 100 kWh battery from zero to 50% in 5 minutes, you do not want to pay more money just to lug a heavier battery around.

Yes.

However, a charging power so high that it makes 350 kW seem like a children's toy is actually a compelling argument _against_ batteries above 100 kWh.

You see, if you can bring the SoC of your 100 kWh battery from zero to 50% in 5 minutes, you do not want to pay more money just to lug a heavier battery around.

Exactly - that is the benefit of these faster chargers. 100kWh appeals to those driving "far, a lot" who don't need to spend time at supercharger restaurants or sitting. But 80kWh charged at even 200KW is pretty quick versus the current day. 200KW is 600 miles per charging hour, 300 miles in a half hour and with taper, probably just 150 miles in 15 minutes which works well for most people. Using 3 miles per kWh. Consumers who go into a convenience store for their morning coffee and fuel will spend 2-5 minutes fueling and 5-10 minutes in a store. If they could pull up, plug in, charge for 10 minutes and head out, that's close to today's morning routines and yet they wouldn't even need that due to being able to leave home fully charged.

The 350KW is kind of a straw man in that it isn't necessary for EVs to take-off. But it is a compelling marketing factor. I wouldn't want to charge today's chemistries of Li-Ion batteries at almost 4C for 100kWh and 5C for 70kWh on a hot day. With today's chemistries requiring heat-based tapering (or cold tapering as well) I doubt that current cars will be allowed to go to 350KW. In fact, I think 350KW is for a dual-head A/B setup with each car taking a full 175KW without "sharing the SC nameplate rate" as they do now.

• Informative
Reactions: lklundin
Yes.

My question is how soon will we see this faster charging capability? 12 months? Less? Longer?

Tesla should just let people plan in the dark and then get angry later? That doesn't work in the long run. Tesla needs to open up its communication not shut down. This kind of style didn't work for the Communists.
I'm sure Tesla has lots of different projects. Some of them might make it to production. However, no sense in advertising stuff you might not make and confusing people. When it's ready to be a product, announce it.

- says a guy from California.

You'd think that a person like me, who's now on his 3rd Canadian winter in a Tesla, would know something about this. Charging is great. But we still need a bigger battery.
You may not be aware, but we have 12,000+ ft elevation mountain ranges in California with 8,000+ ft passes and I am familiar with the white stuff you experience many months out of the year. It always baffles me when some people assume that California residents have no idea what snow is.

Yes, a 150kWh battery would be very useful for some people. As I mentioned, I would love it for towing a camper trailer. But it is unrealistic to think that it is going to be made available in the next several years. We are just at the beginning of the EV revolution. EVs cannot yet meet all use cases. But Tesla has significantly broadened their market appeal in just a few years, and of course more improvements are coming in the years ahead.

Intense cold weather also negatively effects ICE vehicles.

Many is the time in Michigan that my ICE cars would refuse to start at all in sub zero temps. When cold the motor was so hard to turn over and the battery so degraded by the cold that the car would only crank weakly for a few seconds before giving up all together. Tow trucks would be so overwhelmed that it might take several hours for them to get to you for a jump.

At those times I would have loved to be driving a Tesla, and not complain that it would only go 120 miles before running low on juice.

For some reason we expect these first generation of new electric cars to be better than anything else in the world...and at all possible circumstances.

The cars are currently pretty good, and getting better all the time.

My question is how soon will we see this faster charging capability? 12 months? Less? Longer?

As user bonaire pointed out, the current battery chemistry would have a bit of a problem with such a high charging speed, of e.g . 5C.

Others will surely know better, but I find it highly unlikely that existing Tesla vehicles could be upgraded to accept a charging power well above 350 kW.

Also, it would seem strange to me if the simple, low-cost Model 3 came out with a charging capability three times faster than the current Model S/X.

So there is plenty of room for speculation...

But don't expect the CEO of a company who depends on sales to reveal a future roadmap that could tank those sales

he could have just kept quiet. Why even answer that question?

- Charging is great. But we still need a bigger battery.

Absolutely. A charging station in every exit and every intersection doesn't negate the need to have larger range. On a cold day with wind blowing, it is ridiculous to be stopping at every 150 miles for a full hour for a full charge. I want to to do a day trip from Dallas to Austin and back with just one stop and one charge. You simply can't do that unless you have 300 miles of cold weather range.

In fact there should be a standard that auto manufacturers should specify a cold weather range in their sticker. 65 mph at 70F on a level ground doesn't mean anything when it comes to real world driving and a need to have a buffer.

Some ICE cars and motorcycles only have about 200 mile range but few care as gas stations are most everywhere.

but.. but.. you can refill an ICE car in 10 minutes. A full refill on a Tesla still takes 90 minutes.

Reactions: sandpiper
It sounds like:

--As pointed out, Elon said "no plans," not "no intent" or "100 is the max forever and ever." There is a difference.

--Range still can be extended with a 100 pack through other efficiency increases.

--Cold weather and rural living is a serious problem for some folks when it comes to getting or driving a Tesla. While that can be addressed through expanded and quicker charging, it currently prevents many from using their Tesla for some (even many) trips. Likewise, it also could easily prevent some from getting a Tesla where they could not afford to have a backup ICE. That's a problem for Tesla, since they never have marketed any Tesla as just something to get you around town. Anyone who only wanted that could just spend $9-10k on a used Leaf and have a touring/towing car on the side.

Honestly, I don't know where I'm going with all this except that I doubt that Elon and the Elonettes can ignore the cold weather issue forever (or even for much longer). Considering the status of battery technology at the moment, it probably is better to focus on getting more and faster charging out there. As battery technology advances, it would come as no surprise to see a larger capacity pack. However, if charging becomes easy enough or range can be improved otherwise, then it may be largely unnecessary. It's not like you see ICEs come in different versions based on the size of the gas tank.

The issues impacting range are many:

- Moderate to severe cold

- Rain/snow

- Keeping up with traffic on 70+ MPH highways

- Wind

- Elevation

- Roof rack/cargo box

- Hitch bike/cargo rack

-Towing

Just one of the above can turn a 300 mile range in to a 150-200 mile range. Add up 2-3 factors and you can lose nearly 2/3 of your range. And most people want allow a reasonable margin at the low end...pulling in to a supercharger with 0 miles left is a bit harrowing.

Combine these issues with the fact that supercharging really is time-effective up to about 80% SOC or so and you are decrementing your range availability even further. Even faster charging chemistries will likely take just as long for the last 20% as the first 80%.

Now not all of these are daily events, but typically rather issues on longer/road trips. But quite frankly, other 100 mile range EV's are well suited to being daily drivers as longs as you don't plan on road trips with them.

Tesla is the first company to make a run at a no-compromises road vehicle with the Model S. And road trips with 1 or more of the above factors are common in a large percentage of Tesla's target global market.

So I don't understand the "current pack size is sufficient, install more chargers instead" stance when that can require a charging stop every 2 hours for a significant number of use cases. Even with fast charge times (say 5C, which is ~3x current), that's still 20-30 minutes factoring in routing to many superchargers.

That IS a compromise.