Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Plans to take X, S (or 3) above 100kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sdorn

Director of Awesome
Supporting Member
Oct 9, 2016
Georgia
upload_2017-2-7_11-15-36.png

• Informative
Reactions: Tam and Tech_Guy
What do people expect him to say, oh yes we have a 120 kWh pack in R&D right now and lose all sales of his current high end offering? Use some brain cells folks! Of course larger packs are coming as energy density increases. That's a no-brainer. But don't expect the CEO of a company who depends on sales to reveal a future roadmap that could tank those sales.

So that's disappointing to hear. Tesla is still too California-centric. We cold weather & more rural owners need the larger battery.
Serious question that sounds snarky: how rural do you have to be to need more than 100kWh? Isn't that a 100 mile round trip even in dreadful conditions? I'm trying to understand the benefit to a bigger battery instead of building out more and faster charging.

What do people expect him to say, oh yes we have a 120 kWh pack in R&D right now and lose all sales of his current high end offering? Use some brain cells folks! Of course larger packs are coming as energy density increases. That's a no-brainer. But don't expect the CEO of a company who depends on sales to reveal a future roadmap that could tank those sales.

Tesla should just let people plan in the dark and then get angry later? That doesn't work in the long run. Tesla needs to open up its communication not shut down. This kind of style didn't work for the Communists.

Serious question that sounds snarky: how rural do you have to be to need more than 100kWh? Isn't that a 100 mile round trip even in dreadful conditions? I'm trying to understand the benefit to a bigger battery instead of building out more and faster charging.

Rural drivers need to travel further to get to places, including charging stations and use more battery doing more tasks. I live in a big city but I have in laws who live in a rural area (that is cold for 6 months out of the year). They cannot get an electric car simply because the infrastructure won't allow them to unless the battery size is 100kwh or greater. They cannot afford an S100D but if a 130 or 150kwh battery comes out, it will push down prices for the 100kwh range and allow them to obtain a larger battery which will allow them to actually use an electric car for their commute or daily tasks. Elon's pick up might be the only option for them to totally eliminate ICE vehicles but a sedan like the S100D would eliminate at least one of their ICE vehicles.

A S90D gives 294 miles but in winter, make that 230. 200 mile round trip cuts it far too close. Yes, they live so far out (and in the mountains) that 294 rated miles isn't enough. The extra 40 miles to the 100D makes it close enough to justify.

Tesla should just let people plan in the dark and then get angry later? That doesn't work in the long run. Tesla needs to open up its communication not shut down. This kind of style didn't work for the Communists.

If you look at 100kWh battery pack there's not much space for additional cells. Once they move to the new 2170 cell format Tesla will probably be able to add another 20kWh.

120kWh battery pack is likely years away and not a priority for Tesla right now.

Last edited:
If you look at 100D battery pack there's not much space for additional cells. Once they move to the new 2170 cell format Tesla will probably will be able to add another 20kWh.

Such battery pack is likely years away and not a priority for Tesla right now.

And yet everyone expects Tesla to continue to add range and Tesla seems to have a knack for doing the impossible.

Reactions: pilotSteve

I'd like to be able to drive LA to Mammoth at 80 mph without stopping - as I have ways been able to do in a gas car. That's 300 miles gaining elevation in the winter.

LOLSSSSSS

-
I thought such a pack is only about 12 months away.

I'm just talking about highest density pack. Given new cell chemistry, packaging and size I doubt that Tesla will go for high density pack first. I suppose the first battery pack with 2170 cells will be for 60-80kWh SX where margins are lower and arrangement mirroring Model 3 battery pack.

Last edited:
No plans is Tesla codeword for -- wait 6 months.

It can be, but if see wk057's posts showing the structure of the Tesla modules, you'll know that they've really crammed the cells in.

That's with the current 18650s which they'll continue to use at least until they've purchased everything they contracted for.

Given the range of a 100D I fully expect that Tesla will now focus on other aspects of the battery. Although people will always want more range, Model 3 is coming, so cost, weight and charging rate now become increasingly important.

If you look at 100kWh battery pack there's not much space for additional cells. Once they move to the new 2170 cell format Tesla will probably be able to add another 20kWh.

120kWh battery pack is likely years away and not a priority for Tesla right now.

I think years away is probably a bit much. It certainly isn't a priority right now, but I doubt Tesla will let anyone take either range or acceleration crowns away from them for long, so they are undoubtedly doing some low intensity work on how to get faster and will produce something when they get some real competition if not before.

2170 cells are also cheaper for Tesla, so if they get to a point where they have a surplus of those, a pack design available, and no contractual commitment for 18650s, it's in their interest to start making 2170 packs.

Would adding a second gear, or taller gear ratio on the one gear we do have, also be a way to improve range for a given battery size?

..when what we're shooting for is long range, above other factors such as "quickness". Even if the car remains a fixed-gear drive, I wonder if we'll have a factory option to order the "long ranger" version or the "high performer" version for a given car configuration... and they select the corresponding drive train at build time?

Or does the electric coil induction motor have a much wider RPM range on its efficiency curve that this topic basically doesn't matter?

Last edited:
I think years away is probably a bit much. It certainly isn't a priority right now, but I doubt Tesla will let anyone take either range or acceleration crowns away from them for long, so they are undoubtedly doing some low intensity work on how to get faster and will produce something when they get some real competition if not before.

2170 cells are also cheaper for Tesla, so if they get to a point where they have a surplus of those, a pack design available, and no contractual commitment for 18650s, it's in their interest to start making 2170 packs.

I agree that spare capacity will dictate how soon SX will get the new cells. However I also believe that Model 3 cell packing will be used in SX 2170 packs and therefore will not allow for densities necessary to get the pack over 100kWh (at least until 2019).