Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No power = broken window!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One reason I like to come to TMC is to learn new things and understand our cars and chargers better. Trying to learn from other people's experiences both good and bad.

@Scapegoat To that end:

1) What brand is your home charger? Whoever makes this would be on my never-buy list because they suck at QA and software. In any update failure situation properly written software will revert to prior state and not block you. This is amateur hour. You might contact the charger company and let them know that their shoddy software directly lead to this mess- and they should try harder.

2) Do you feel that low voltage (120 here) normal outlet charging would have been possible? For my car, I can get 5 miles added per hour of charging which would have made the difference for you if you could wait an hour. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but it might make sense to keep a spare charger in the car. (In my case I carry the 120V adapter as well as a 240V plug.)

The location wasn’t really suitable for fixing a 3 pin charger location - always carry both types of charging cable.

Also was a pretty time constrained day - which meant only realising the car had no charge at the point I walked out to it in time to leave for the appointment.

A pretty tight schedule probably linked to poor decision making in hindsight.

The location wasn’t really suitable for fixing a 3 pin charger location - always carry both types of charging cable.

Also was a pretty time constrained day - which meant only realising the car had no charge at the point I walked out to it in time to leave for the appointment.

A pretty tight schedule probably linked to poor decision making in hindsight.
One of the other thing I noticed was in this weather if you use the app button to open the door the window does not go down - even when there is power - as it is frosted again resulting in damage to the window or door trim while closing the door. I think it is partly a design flaw with rimless windows (and model 3 and Y door handles are manual and flush against the door making it incapable of using it to lower windows when frozen) that worsens if the temperature drops below -2 (in normal situations in UK) and double the trouble in unusual circumstances like yours where there is no power. I think Tesla can do something about this unusual circumstance like yours but frozen windows not dropping down in winter, I think owners need to be more aware even if we use the app button to open as the windows does not roll down (unless you push the door handle) resulting in damage either during opening or closing the door.

And I think yours is not just poor decision making, this could have happened even if you have not run out of battery as the last few days the temperature was below -5 and most of the time the window was stuck and did not roll down, if it is of any reassurance. I was more careful as I just read your post otherwise I would have been in the same situation trying to close the door after opening it using the app.

The app opening is a get out of clause while the handles are frozen and stuck but it comes with a risk of breaking the windows.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBadger
I reckon you can get a baby in there and that's that. Anyone who gets a 3 year old in and provides proof wins a tenner.
I cannot fit a 3 year old in mine and wouldn't try - however - my 13 year old daughter can fit in there with the frunk shut. It is one of the first things she wanted to try when I got my MY...
She will happily recreate for a photo if you want to send her some money - she loves earning spare cash.

Last edited:
I think finding the manual information and at least seeing if there is a compromise (I cover the cost of the trim / the window is covered as a “gesture”) and see where we get to.
I would ask to speak to the service manager, say you know it isn't covered under the warranty but you have already exceeded your month's budget and wondered if there was anything he could do to help you out

I cannot fit a 3 year old in mine and wouldn't try - however - my 13 year old daughter can fit in there with the frunk shut. It is one of the first things she wanted to try when I got my MY...
She will happily recreate for a photo if you want to send her some money - she loves earning spare cash.
That’s very impressive but unfortunately the terms and conditions that I’m making up as I go along exclude Model Y

Parts for the “bright work” not due back in until February so collected the car today with the fixed window at £260.

Have looked at the level of “damage” to the brightwork and being honest it’s a minor scuff - and well within the length of scratches allowable as wear and tear on a lease vehicle. Will probably live with it, unless anyone any experience of touching it up?

Have also written to ask for a review of the “customer pay” having gone through the manual and feel it’s not really covered.

Finally - Tesla don’t clean cars in for work? Got used to having my iPace cleaned in and out every trip in.

Hmmm I can put up with a dirty car than going in and out of the land rover/jaguar sales workshop every 6 months with some electrics going wrong and then have to pay 2 grand every time!

Not my experience of JLR to be fair. Had the wonderful iPace for 3 years and it went in for a single service (£210) , the bi-annual winter/summer tyre swap, and one warranty issue with the SIM card reader.

I recognise that Tesla have a very different style and approach to the traditional premium brands - and it’s fine, but doesn’t mean I don’t miss some of the JLR perks

Reactions: Danzr
Not my experience of JLR to be fair. Had the wonderful iPace for 3 years and it went in for a single service (£210) , the bi-annual winter/summer tyre swap, and one warranty issue with the SIM card reader.

I recognise that Tesla have a very different style and approach to the traditional premium brands - and it’s fine, but doesn’t mean I don’t miss some of the JLR perks
Great to know you had a positive experience mine was terrible. Never going back to JLR or any traditional car makers even though I loved the Velar and Evoque.