Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Power Steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the 2021 Model S Plaid. We have had a cold spell here and the other morning I had no power steering, no lane departure, no regenerative braking etc etc and lots of lights on the dash.

Is this an issue anyone else has had?

I was just going to open my own threat when I found yours. I had the same issues with my Model 3.

Today I took it for a spin. You have to know I might be the furthest north Tesla owner living in the Yukon and we get weeks where it is below -45 degrees Celsius. I can live with the decrease in range at this temperatures but today shortly after I left the parking spot the screen told me reduced power steering, regen braking etc. and it was almost impossible to steer the car. Luckily i was still on the parking spot and haven't hit the street yet.

I let the car sit with heaters on max for like 10minutes. The screen rebooted when i came back and it seams to have fixed itself after.

I am still concert now. If that happens while driving on the street or in a corner I am almost certain to hit the ditch.

Upvote 0
I had the same issue on my 21 refresh S, except my car would not switch into gear. Attached are pictures of the alerts. Interestingly, occurred on a day it was below freezing in NY.

Was towed to the service center, they replaced the wire harness, seems fine now.

Attachments

• 20220103_163416.jpg
    20220103_163416.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 20220103_163202.jpg
    20220103_163202.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
I have a 2014 S so i dont know how well this will translate to the new model however, it tends to solve a lot of issues. i call it a super reboot. I had my AC fail and another time i had my PS fail, both times doing this reboot method solved my issues for free in my driveway. Both times beforehand i tried the brake pedal reboot with no fix.

Open the drivers window and leave the door opened
remove the nev terminal on the 12v battery
remove the firemans loop
wait for like 10 min
reverse steps above and see what happens once the car reboots
Sometimes the alarm will go off when you hookup the 12v so have your remote handy to turn it off if it does come on.

Upvote 0
I have a 2014 S so i dont know how well this will translate to the new model however, it tends to solve a lot of issues. i call it a super reboot. I had my AC fail and another time i had my PS fail, both times doing this reboot method solved my issues for free in my driveway. Both times beforehand i tried the brake pedal reboot with no fix.

Open the drivers window and leave the door opened
remove the nev terminal on the 12v battery
remove the firemans loop
wait for like 10 min
reverse steps above and see what happens once the car reboots
Sometimes the alarm will go off when you hookup the 12v so have your remote handy to turn it off if it does come on.
I cant find an edit button so this is very important. before you unhook the 12v battery make sure the car is UNPLUGGED. if you dont you will blow some random fuse inside the charger and its a super PITA to fix yourself if you even can. so make sure the car is unplugged before doing this.

Upvote 0