Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No PPF....Are you Happy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just made a video on this - I think I have more chips on my hood in 30k miles than my '04 Acura TL in 120k miles.
I wish I had done something sooner.
I did put a little PPF bra on the hood, but I don't recommend it. I also PPFd the headlights and front bumper, which I recommend.

I don't think PPF is worth it. If you get into a small fender bender that tears through the PPF then it now costs more to fix the bumper + the PPF.
I didn’t put PPF on my 2019 MS and have paint ships on the hood and and A pillar. The front bumper not so much.
I decided to DIY full front PPF on my new MY mainly to make it easier to clean. I don’t have to worry about being as careful when wiping the bugs off the bumper or bird crap off the hood.
Unlike those that like to scratch their paint with automatic car washes, I care about scratches and spiderwebbing on my paint.
If you get into an accident, insurance would cover the cost of the replacement PPF.

I just made a video on this - I think I have more chips on my hood in 30k miles than my '04 Acura TL in 120k miles.
I wish I had done something sooner.
I did put a little PPF bra on the hood, but I don't recommend it. I also PPFd the headlights and front bumper, which I recommend.
One thing to keep in mind is that the vinyl color wraps are NOT PPF. They'll offer a little bit of protection, but are much thinner and weaker than PPF. It isn't great for protection on its own. (But way better than nothing)

If you did not get PPF are you happy. Is your car in decent shape? Of course I know PPF is ideal, thats not the question. I'm not sure how long I'll keep the car, but I also dont want the car to get destroyed. Looking for opinions from people that have not done it only. Thanks
We don't have PPF on our white MYLR. After about 20,000 miles, there are a few minor nicks on the front bumper, but that's it. I did put on OEM front mud flaps and have no dings on the lower rear doors. For what it matters, I live in Northwest Florida (otherwise known as Lower Alabama).

I have no regrets at all. It's just a car. Actually it's a great car and we love it.

I'm glad I didn't spend the money on PPF. The film doesn't last forever.

Reactions: IndyGopher
If you did not get PPF are you happy. Is your car in decent shape? Of course I know PPF is ideal, thats not the question. I'm not sure how long I'll keep the car, but I also dont want the car to get destroyed. Looking for opinions from people that have not done it only. Thanks
I'm never going to do PPF. If you sell the car with normal paint chips on the front bumper, you will turn away approximately 0 buyers. It's not something that matters to *any* place you are going to trade the car in, and 99% of private sale customers. PPF is so overblown on Teslas, it's propped up an entire industry around it.

If you just want to know your car is perfect, it makes sense, but people doing it for resale value aren't getting their value back at all.

I didn’t put PPF on my 2019 MS and have paint ships on the hood and and A pillar. The front bumper not so much.
I decided to DIY full front PPF on my new MY mainly to make it easier to clean. I don’t have to worry about being as careful when wiping the bugs off the bumper or bird crap off the hood.
Unlike those that like to scratch their paint with automatic car washes, I care about scratches and spiderwebbing on my paint.
If you get into an accident, insurance would cover the cost of the replacement PPF.
I'm never going to do PPF. If you sell the car with normal paint chips on the front bumper, you will turn away approximately 0 buyers. It's not something that matters to *any* place you are going to trade the car in, and 99% of private sale customers. PPF is so overblown on Teslas, it's propped up an entire industry around it.

If you just want to know your car is perfect, it makes sense, but people doing it for resale value aren't getting their value back at all.
Completely agree from that perspective. I would only want it for my personal appreciation of the car. I don't mind a normal amount of chips which I think is only a few after years. I had a hood repainted on my 2021 pilot after it was damaged by a semi tread. After it was repainted it got like 12 chips in a month. It kinda drove me crazy thinking about how bad it was going to get if that was a month. They wouldnt repaint it so thats really what got me looking at Teslas and is why I'm here. Sold that Pilot to Carmax

40k miles on my blue MY. I regret not getting PPF on the hood and fenders - lots of white dots from rock chips. Rocker panels are fine (mud flaps essential).

I would do hood and front fenders only and even skip the bumper. The bumper is plastic and the impact marks from rocks are not chips and barely noticeable.

Reactions: merc65fd
I kind of regretted getting PPF for my front bumper. It was $700. I just scraped my front bumper and the damage was $1000 to the bumper. The PPF has to be removed for repairs. So it's costing me $1700 instead of $1000. I might not put in PPF after the repairs. Like you guys said, it's probably just cheaper to respray when you need to.
Insurance covers replacement of the PPF. Hmm, then again it does read like a self inflicted issue so out of pocket? If so that sucks but PPF isn't for that sort dmg, shrugs.

Reactions: merc65fd
So a rep just told me not to do ppf for about a month after getting my new y until about a month for the paint to settle in. Anyone heard of this or does this rep not know anything?
It's not a bad idea but the paint should already be well cured considering it gets baked in the oven at the factory and has sat for days most likely before transport.

Another point is, how hard is it to remove PPF when it starts wearing out? You don't just peel it off.

5600 miles, no ppf and no pro ceramic. I always wash it myself using 2 bucket, foam blaster, clay bar, and TEC582 ceramic detail spray.

So far one 5 mm paint chip along a door edge that I repaired using the OEM Tesla paint chip repair kit.