Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No premium connectivity even though I’ve paid.... anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I noticed a couple days ago that I lost the ability to select the satellite maps and other items connected to premium connectivity. I was originally set to expire on 12/31. I paid several weeks ago and my Tesla.com profile reflects that I’ve paid. Even though I’ve paid the car continued to say that premium connectivity expires on 12/31.

I though the latest software update, a touchscreen reboot or a whole car reboot would fix this but nothing fixed it. I waited until today (1/1) to see if the problem goes away but still nothing. It’s like my car lost sync with the premium connectivity setting in the account. The car still says premium connectivity on the main display but 12/31 expiration. No satellite maps are accessible and the theater asks for WiFi if I try to play Netflix.

It seems much more difficult to get a hold of Tesla for a fix. I chatted with someone yesterday and all they could suggest was the reboot and told me to come back after that. No one is around today to help.

Anyone else having this problem and figured out a fix?

Reactions: pgolden
I signed up for premium connectivity on 12/7 and got the confirmation email. Today it's disabled and says I need to upgrade. I'm just going to give it a few days to see if it sorts itself.

I signed up for premium connectivity on 12/7 and got the confirmation email. Today it's disabled and says I need to upgrade. I'm just going to give it a few days to see if it sorts itself.

Same with me also..My payment information is there and it says Auto billed Monthly, but it also says "Something went wrong. Please try again later"....

I paid a while ago, but my car still says it expires 12/31/19. I checked my account and it says I have standard connectivity, but has the card number I previously entered for premium connectivity. It also says something went wrong, try again later.

But, my car still has satellite maps, streaming, etc.

Seems pretty messy for now.

Echoing some in this thread. I signed up for premium connectivity ( model 3P that was purchased after lifetime premium was no longer available). I signed up the day they sent the email out, as I didnt want a lapse in connectivity.

My account previously stated that I would be auto billed starting 01/01/2020, but when I check my account today, it says "standard connectivity" and has an upgrade link that does not work.

Good thing I am off work until next wednesday... hope its sorted out by then.

Anyone hear anything official from Tesla yet on this?

Tesla chat was useless. Tried to tell me it was because I wasn’t using chrome. Well I dl’d chrome and got same message. said he would have to escalate to the website team. Love my car...but things like this shows how much maturing Tesla still needs to do.

did anyones CC actually get charged and still lost premium connectivity?

Opposite experience here.
I randomly gained access to Live Traffic and Satellite view as of Dec 31.

Premium Connectivity has never been an option for me to subscribe (Doesn't show on my Tesla Account as an option to subscribe).

SR+ HW3, Canada

Interestingly now when i go on the Tesla website the subscribe button, the subscribe button is greyed out and in red it says "Something went wrong. Please try again later."

ugh

has your CC been charged? If not the title is a bit misleading. I’m in a similar situation...but my CC hasn’t shown a charge yet.

Anyone hear anything official from Tesla yet on this?

Have you actually paid? (Has your credit card been billed?)

has your CC been charged? If not the title is a bit misleading. I’m in a similar situation...but my CC hasn’t shown a charge yet.

I havent heard anything from Tesla on this. I scheduled a service call via the app yesterday, hoping that they would forward it to their teams to do something remotely. The appointment time is not till Jan 21st (first available), but I dont expect to need to keep this appointment (I dont think a service center will be able to do a thing about this).

No, my credit card has not been charged yet, as of Jan 2 at 9:00am PST. I checked my CC and no pending charges etc. I also have my CC setup to send me a text message on every charge, so I was reasonably sure I had not been charged.

As I mentioned up thread, I had subscribed to premium connectivity within an hour of them emailing it to me, as it is worth the charge to me, and my car does not come with lifetime due to purchase date. The last time I looked at my tesla account online, which was somewhere around december 20th, my account showed a subscription to premium connectivity, that was to start on 01/01/2020. That subscription now is gone from my account, and it wont let me re subscribe.

I havent even checked my car to see if I have actually lost features in my car. I am off work until next wednesday, and we tend to drive my wifes car around town instead of mine, mostly because my commute puts 17.5k miles a year on my car, and hers is a lease in which we will not get anywhere close to using the miles. Im hopeful that it will be fixed by then.

I'm going to guess the bridge between Tesla's billing/account system and AT&T Wireless's system has a lot of faults or missing pieces...good luck folks! I would actually like to know if Tesla uses an E-Sim or a physical sim...if physical I'd like to swap it out for my own carrier, like how I've done in Audi's before. How other car makers have done it is bill via a custom portal from the carrier...such as Audi redirected to a custom portal on AT&T's website to maintain billing, usage, troubleshooting etc. I think Tesla's approach is better in theory but without another robust team manning that front, it's going to be rough going...

For the new folks around here... this is sorta Standard Operating Procedure for new Tesla features/options. The first few weeks/months are pretty rough until they get <fill in new feature> sorted.

Just look at it this way... they announced in July 2018 that in July 2019 they would start charging for Premium Connectivity. They had a year to get the system in place and they still missed it.

This isn't a knock - reinventing the car manufacturing industry is resource intensive and there are priorities. Just stating that this is par for the course. Don't panic. It will all work out in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gator Rican
I'm going to guess the bridge between Tesla's billing/account system and AT&T Wireless's system has a lot of faults or missing pieces...good luck folks! I would actually like to know if Tesla uses an E-Sim or a physical sim...if physical I'd like to swap it out for my own carrier, like how I've done in Audi's before.

I think you would still have to pay to use your own SIM because Tesla doesn't support BYOD. Even if you don't pay for premium Tesla is still paying for data for your car for things like app remote control, emergency firmware releases, online routing, remote diagnostics, etc.