Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No premium connectivity even though I’ve paid.... anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@MP3Mike s point is that, we have "entered our information and authorized tesla to charge our account", but unless they have actually BILLED your credit card, we have not "paid" yet.

Ok, I "subscribed", which in my opinion means I've agreed to pay, which to me means I've "paid". I have not actually been charged by Tesla, and although I was surprised when I was missing these features, I am not surprised that Tesla would screw something up like this. The chit show continues.

Update: This AM, premium connectivity returned with Full maps, streaming, browser etc while driving. Again, had 50.7 yesterday with no premium connectivity. IDK what happened overnight, but I'll take it. Also, on my acct on Tesla.com, still showing an error for loading with Standard connectivity.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upgraded to 50.7 last night. Just checked and premium connectivity has been restored. But car still says it will expired 12/31/19, website says standard and I get the same error message when I click on upgrade. Hopefully it stays like this and they give us free premium connectivity until they fix the subscription issues.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I think you would still have to pay to use your own SIM because Tesla doesn't support BYOD. Even if you don't pay for premium Tesla is still paying for data for your car for things like app remote control, emergency firmware releases, online routing, remote diagnostics, etc.
I hear what you're saying. I definitely would have to still provide my own service, but it might be possible for some people to get a cheaper plan (free in my case). In the case of an Audi A3 I leased, just because I swapped out AT&T's sim for my own did not cripple remote connectivity services or in-car services. This included features such as remote lock/unlock, Google Earth/navigation, in-car wifi-hotspot sharing, etc. All of those services were just running through T-Mobile instead of AT&T.

Now, to be clear, most connected cars to-date, use AT&T or Verizon in the USA, because of the two provider's generally larger coverage footprint - which is important to reduce majority of customer frustrations and could be an increase in safety for in-car emergency calling after an accident.

Perhaps in the future, if the car supports an E-SIM, we might be able to pick from more than one provider. Acknowledging what I'm asking for is incredibly niche, costs aside, I just do not feel good funneling more dollars towards AT&T or Verizon.

I hear what you're saying. I definitely would have to still provide my own service, but it might be possible for some people to get a cheaper plan (free in my case). In the case of an Audi A3 I leased, just because I swapped out AT&T's sim for my own did not cripple remote connectivity services or in-car services. This included features such as remote lock/unlock, Google Earth/navigation, in-car wifi-hotspot sharing, etc. All of those services were just running through T-Mobile instead of AT&T.

I don't think you understood what I was saying. You would end up paying for the service twice. You would pay for Internet connectivity on your non-Tesla SIM, but that would only get you the free services in your car, Tesla is limiting access to the streaming radio/video, maps, etc. not AT&T. So even if you provide your own SIM you would still have to pay Tesla $9.99/month to get the privilege of fully using it.

Same situation as several others reported. I had upgraded my original free Premium, but did not get charged on Jan 1. Website now shows Standard. Car shows Premium but with 12/31/19 expiration date. Streaming and map functions all working. I have the .7 software as of yesterday, but due to holidays was not out driving on 1/1. Can't remember if I was listening to streaming yesterday. Probably just podcasts from my phone.

I got 50.7 a couple days ago, and premium stuff was working when I started driving yesterday, but after a stop and getting back into the car, it told me to connect to WiFi to use Spotify or Slacker. The website still has the “something went wrong” message. No charge on my card yet. I subscribed on 12/31 and got the email at 3PM that day.

Haven’t checked today, kind of hoping they just turn it on remotely for everyone until they figure out the issue.

Has anyone managed to subscribe and have it work correctly? (Where it says you have an active subscription and no error message on the page?)

Upgraded to 50.7 last night. Just checked and premium connectivity has been restored. But car still says it will expired 12/31/19, website says standard and I get the same error message when I click on upgrade. Hopefully it stays like this and they give us free premium connectivity until they fix the subscription issues.

Car now shows my subscription, got the subscription email this morning and the online account now reflects premium connectivity. Seems to be all fixed.

Last edited:
Car now shows my subscription, got the subscription email this morning and the online account now reflects premium connectivity. Seems to be all fixed.

Same here. Account online shows subscribed to premium connectivity, with a renewal date of Feb 4th 2020, got an email confirmation of the subscription from tesla, and saw the charge hit my CC (which happened sometime last night while I was sleep).

Just an FYI:
I am in the same boat w/regards to both the tesla.com website and my car reporting Premium Connectivity although it's obviously not really enabled as I can't stream etc.

BUT, I went and called in to support and had the representative check. He was able to somehow look at the status on their end and he said that the request was pending and that he'd talk with his team to push the request through within the next 24-48 hours. I mentioned to him that I didn't have access to wifi where I am at and he said that wifi access wouldn't be necessary to address the issue...

So I'll wait and see...

Just an FYI:
I am in the same boat w/regards to both the tesla.com website and my car reporting Premium Connectivity although it's obviously not really enabled as I can't stream etc.

BUT, I went and called in to support and had the representative check. He was able to somehow look at the status on their end and he said that the request was pending and that he'd talk with his team to push the request through within the next 24-48 hours. I mentioned to him that I didn't have access to wifi where I am at and he said that wifi access wouldn't be necessary to address the issue...

So I'll wait and see...

Hope you can get this resolved to your satisfaction..

Probably related, but not quite the same thing as people in this thread are talking about. You are talking about not getting your "free 1 year premium connectivity", while people in this thread are talking about "I signed up to pay for my connectivity and it still reverted to standard".

These two things might be related, but I suspect in your case, the car is coded on the back end as not having the 1 year free connectivity period or something, while in our case, they thought they had figured out how to charge for connectivity but have it mixed up somehow.

Tesla is not great at these type of things, which frankly surprises me since they are basically an energy company that makes fancy software to control standard things (like cars, and solar panels and batteries).
Just renewed my Premium Connectivity on my model Y. It just reverted back to standard Connectivity although it shows in the app that it has been renewed. :(
How do you resolve this?