Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Premium Connectivity - Tricks?

FormationLap

Jul 29, 2020
Toronto
Don’t want to pay the $13.99+tax CAD monthly for Premium Connectivity. I’ve got enough monthly subscriptions already and I don’t feel as though I’m missing out on much.

Something that I do miss, is using Spotify. I liked being able to choose different playlists, artists, etc. on screen, without having to use my phone.

I have found a way to trick? the Spotify app on my Model Y to continue playing. What I’ve found is that if you’re parked, you can connect to your phone’s hotspot, start playing a playlist through WiFI, and once you put it in drive, it’ll continue playing (via Hotspot/WiFi). You’re able to skip tracks back and forth, however, if you try switching playlists or going to another artist, it’ll stop altogether. It’s something, thought I’d share.

Am I missing anything? Are there any other tricks to squeeze out more functionality without premium connectivity?

(Doubt anyone from Tesla will read this post. I guess we’ll know when the next update squashes this workaround… IF YOU ARE READING THIS, JUST LET ME USE SPOTIFY ON HOTSPOT WHILE I DRIVE. COME ON, WE ALL KNOW YOU CAN.)

Fourdoor

May 31, 2016
United States
Can't you use your phone as a hotspot and connect your Tesla too it? Currently it is a pain in the butt to have to do it after you have already shifted to drive, but that is addressed in the newest update that is coming out.

Keith

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart

mrwug

Jul 30, 2021
Colorado
There's a chart displaying what premium features are available when connected to a hotspot

Connectivity PackagesStandard
Included
Premium
Navigation
Live Traffic Visualization-
Satellite-View Maps-
Video Streaming*⁺⁺-
Caraoke*-
Music Streaming*⁺-
Internet Browser*-
* Accessible over Wi-Fi for Standard Connectivity

*⁺ A paid subscription to streaming services is required to access music and media streaming

• Informative
Reactions: srlawren

Fourdoor

May 31, 2016
United States
There's a chart displaying what premium features are available when connected to a hotspot

Connectivity PackagesStandard
Included
Premium
Navigation
Live Traffic Visualization-
Satellite-View Maps-
Video Streaming*⁺⁺-
Caraoke*-
Music Streaming*⁺-
Internet Browser*-
* Accessible over Wi-Fi for Standard Connectivity

*⁺ A paid subscription to streaming services is required to access music and media streaming

Well crap, that sucks. I don't like that I will not be able to watch YouTube via YouTube app. Since the internet browser works I think I can still watch imbedded video's when connected via hotspot. Guess I will just enjoy video's on my phone after the free connectivity expires.

Keith

FormationLap

Jul 29, 2020
Toronto

Y_tho

Mar 14, 2020
Maryland
So I got home and checked and there was an updated available - 2021.12.25.7. It seems my car is about 3 weeks back in the queue... 😤
FYI barely anyone has received 2021.24 at this point (teslascope and teslafi each show one update apiece as of right now). 2021.12.25.7 is the latest to be broadly distributed.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
FYI barely anyone has received 2021.24 at this point (teslascope and teslafi each show one update apiece as of right now). 2021.12.25.7 is the latest to be broadly distributed.
Yeah - I just went to TeslaFi and saw that. Looks like 2021.12.25 is about 50% and 2021.24 is close to zero.

... but I want it NOW! :p

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC