Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No range loss!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have over 6,000 miles on p3d stealth. I drove it 2600 miles cross country on supercharging. The rest have all been through the normal level 1 wall outlet.

got the car at the end of 2019 and it has 320 miles of range (2020 model).

my question is, how is there no range loss yet!? Tesla Fi says my car has better battery life than 100% of the 144 cars that are at similar mileage. It did fluctuate in the beginning and has the software bump to 320 a couple months ago. But steady at 320 for over a month now.

anyone else seeing similar stuff with the 2020 model?

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Be quiet and be happy!

J/K! :)

I wish my car had better battery than 100% of cars (or 99.999999999)

Do you charge to 100% all the time?
No! I charge to 80% all the time. I think two 100% charges. And a few 90% ones during long trips. One time I took it 300 miles and got home with 6% charge (went above the rated mileage too). So I’ve done about all ranges you could go through. Just wonder when I will ever see my range drop! Or if the new model year battery got better

Honestly I wish there was an absolute way to understand why a 2020 would behave different than a 2018; there must be some non-software changes. Or maybe the software changes just keep the battery in better shape?

Hopefully you'll keep a record on the batteries progress; I'm sure others would be curious how it holds up.

I have an early production 3 (014XXX) and it has done very well with keeping its 310 miles of range. Highest number I ever remember seeing was 313 or 314, and that was before this whole supposed 322/325 mile upgrade update. I've had my car for 2 years and 47,000 miles now, and as recently as the last 2-3 months I had 100% home charges of 309 and 310 miles.

I've always charged to 90% for daily use, and discharge to between 20 and 30 percent most of the time. It varies. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower before it gets plugged in.

At 310.83 miles on 2020 LRAWD Teslafi rates me better than 96% at 4400 miles. I charge on HPWC to 90% most evenings. In local driving I rarely drop below 60% before charging. Last road trip in January, generally supercharge with 20%+ remaining. I worried for awhile that I was keeping my car at too high a SOC, but, given our unusual circumstances felt it was prudent to begin each day at 90%. I am happy with the way the batteries are maintaining. If I was OP I would be even happier. Great battery there.

The range always fluctuates, so there isn't an absolute number, but the last 6 months for mine are 322 to 328 mile range. 2019 long range rwd with 15.3k miles.

Daily charge to 65%, 90% on weekend trips. I haven't driven more than 2 hours in the last month, so the more recent estimates are a lot less granular.

Dlggk0b.png

Reactions: jpfive
I have an early production 3 (014XXX) and it has done very well with keeping its 310 miles of range. Highest number I ever remember seeing was 313 or 314, and that was before this whole supposed 322/325 mile upgrade update. I've had my car for 2 years and 47,000 miles now, and as recently as the last 2-3 months I had 100% home charges of 309 and 310 miles.

I've always charged to 90% for daily use, and discharge to between 20 and 30 percent most of the time. It varies. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower before it gets plugged in.
My situation is very similar

I don’t even track my max mileage at any certain percentage whether it is 90% or 100%. It’s annoying to worry about it.

I usually charge to 70% since that covers my 95 mile commute with cabin overheat protection. I usually get about 35%-40% SOC left when I come home. On weekends or days when I don’t drive I might leave the setting at 50-60% SOC.

My 2020 at 100% SOC has been: 304-322. When I first got the car I charged to 90% daily and always plugged in at home per the owners manual recommendation. I would always see 275-279 miles at 90%. Recently I have not been plugging in every evening, but when I do, charging to 90% after depleting to 70-100 miles. I don't see any major negatives so far. (~11K miles)

I'm just trying different scenarios vs. plugging in whenever possible all the time as per the manual. The range displayed is consistent and I don't worry about - I just drive and enjoy. I think a key element is my location: FLAT Florida roads with consistent warm temperatures year round.

June 2019 car here. I had no charge loss for the first 10,000 miles.

Then it fell off a cliff. Betweek 10K and 12K I lost 15 miles.

Since then the line has been flat.

View attachment 540682
The X-axis increments aren't even, so it distorts what you're seeing. I'd export the data into a spreadsheet, and put it into an x-y chart. When it drops off a cliff, there are only two datapoints over 1000 miles, when in the 1000 miles prior, there are 12 datapoints. The x-axis is messing up any possible interpretation.

Reactions: jpfive
The X-axis increments aren't even, so it distorts what you're seeing. I'd export the data into a spreadsheet, and put it into an x-y chart. When it drops off a cliff, there are only two datapoints over 1000 miles, when in the 1000 miles prior, there are 12 datapoints. The x-axis is messing up any possible interpretation.

Essentially all of my degradation took place between 10K and 12K.

The scale may be compressing/stretching various sections. That might make other things hard to interpret but has little impact here. Nothing before 10K, nothing after 12K. No tweaks to the x-axis will change that.

Essentially all of my degradation took place between 10K and 12K.

The scale may be compressing/stretching various sections. That might make other things hard to interpret but has little impact here. Nothing before 10K, nothing after 12K. No tweaks to the x-axis will change that.
Yes, but what might just be a relatively smooth decline is distorted to look like a "cliff" if the x-axis is irregular. We, naturally are drawn to the irregular, but how do we actually know it's irregular if the x-axis is distorted?

Yes, but what might just be a relatively smooth decline is distorted to look like a "cliff" if the x-axis is irregular. We, naturally are drawn to the irregular, but how do we actually know it's irregular if the x-axis is distorted?

Here is the raw data plotted on linear axis. Does this make the cliff look less real?

To me it still looks like it was stable until 10K, then a huge drop between 10K-12K, and then leveling off after 12K.

Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 8.39.05 PM.png

Here is the raw data plotted on linear axis. Does this make the cliff look less real?

To me it still looks like it was stable until 10K, then a huge drop between 10K-12K, and then leveling off after 12K.
View attachment 540859

I didn't say it would be more or less, just that we don't know until we normalize the X. Instead of a sudden drop, it's almost like a smooth curve. Strange. Are the long lines, trips?