Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No rear heated seats? [Incorrect: heated seats confirmed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt we can infer that from the photo. They don’t want to make the UI too busy. Showing heat for just the bottom of the seat on the screen is good enough. I wouldn’t expect the ability to independently control the seat cushion and back rest heaters anyway, just the seat as a whole. Anyone with a Model 3 want to chime in? Do the front seats have heaters in the seat cushion as well as the back rest? If so then I would expect the same for the rear seats.

S and X show grea for those areas in UI. Leaf also does only seat heat and not backs. It's cheaper to do that.

"hardware" doesnt mean that the actual warmers are in the seats. It may have the wiring and control module present. This may be what Inginineerix saw? Amazing - Inginineerix Model 3 teardown
Tsportline would definitely know if they saw the heated wiring loops in the seats!

My assumption is that Tesla had seat supplier issues which we heard last year. Some cars shipped without seats and later installed at the service centers. I think in the next few months they will have seat heaters in them when supply chain is set, and they will quietly call existing owners to take their cars in for a swap out.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I pulled up the rear seat cushion and counted 8 wires going in on the passenger side and 4 on the driver. I assume half of these are for the occupancy sensors, the other half - for the heaters.
20180125_170134.jpg
20180126_222135.jpg

Ingineerix said specifically that the heating coils are in the seats AND are hooked up to the car, the only reason there is no heating in the rear seats is because there is no GUI to turn on that heat. I believe him, he's one of the top tesla people and he doesn't say things like that when he's speculating.
Its possible that he and tsportline are right. If I recall, T sportline had an earlier VIN, so it is possible that at the time those cars had the wiring but not the coils in the cushion

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The CWP doesn't exist (as a separate package) in the S and X anymore. I am pretty sure it comes with the PUP (along with a few other things).

Yes, it's part of PUP for the S/X:

Sub-zero weather features including heated seats for every passenger, heated steering wheel, wiper blade defrosters and washer nozzle heaters

In Canada it's $6,600 which includes upgraded audio with XM and hepa filter. My theory is we will see it by itself an option on the 3 for about $750US when AWD comes out in the spring.

Saying that repeatedly isn't going to make it true. ;) I doubt people would pay $750 for a heated steering wheel, wiper blade defrosters and washer nozzle heaters...

You forgot the rear heated seats. Tesla won't be activating them for free if they are not activated by now -- it's a simple software issue -- it's not activated yet for a reason -- $$$$ -- that Tesla needs bad -- at least in my view. Only time will tell who is right.

As to cost, I paid for the cold weather package 4 years ago and it didn't even come with a heated steering wheel. I think it was $900Can back then which is what I based my $750US on -- and that sounds about right if you back out UHFS and hepa from PUP. It's one of the best options I got but that's because I often had 3 kids in the back to and from our cabin.

As for repeating my theory, I need it here lots so I can find it easily and say "I told you so" when we see AWD and Sub-Zero come out soon. ;)

Last edited:
Have gloves. And current car doesn't have heated wheel. And we are in Texas, so it really isn't that cold (except a few days of the year, and compared to other places, still not cold).

But she has Raynaud's disease - Symptoms and causes

It really would be worth it to her.
Ahh darn I apologize and was trying to be funny and now stuck my big ole foot in my mouth!!

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Ahh darn I apologize and was trying to be funny and now stuck my big ole foot in my mouth!!
No harm. All good. I told her gloves too!

But she’s hanging onto a dying Acura with 160k+ miles, in need of a power steering pump & rack, struts, transmission, and engine seals. She doesn’t like change, esp with cars.

A car with a heated wheel would do it!

You forgot the rear heated seats. Tesla won't be activating them for free if they are not activated by now -- it's a simple software issue -- it's not activated yet for a reason -- $$$$ -- that Tesla needs bad -- at least in my view. Only time will tell who is right. ;)

same with wifi and summon and the ability to use the right scroll wheel. Those will definitely be paid upgrades.

same with wifi and summon and the ability to use the right scroll wheel. Those will definitely be paid upgrades.

Are you being sarcastic? It's hard to tell sometimes with print. In any event, I never said it would a "paid upgrade". In fact, I said the exact opposite -- that it would be a "free" upgrade -- just not yet:

I think eventually the early Model 3s with the hardware will have it turned on for free but not until after it becomes a paid option for all new buyers.

I said that because if the rear heated seats were activated now, Tesla couldn't make all that money off the Sub Zero package coming with AWD, which a lot of people will buy, especially in Canada, and Tesla needs cash bad.

Do people really think it's that's hard to flick a switch -- software speaking -- from a non software person -- who thinks that it can't be all that difficult to add the back heated seats to the UI way before now -- so there must be a reason for it being held back? If it's not activated to sell it as part of Sub Zero then please tell me your theory as to why it's not activated?

Last edited: