Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Rear Spoiler Option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M67v

I just work here
Sep 2, 2014
Reading, PA
I saw this picture on the website.
section-allwheel.jpg
This could be a hint for a no rear spoiler option in the future. It is strange because it says the spoiler is standard, but if you look closely, you can't even see the gaps for the spoiler to retract in. I don't know why anyone would not want the spoiler, but it could possibly decrease price.

EDIT:
There's this too.
6b47b7e2ac219522825476277a344278.png

The first image is a CGI, probably done before the spoiler was added. The second drawing is detailing safety features, and the spoiler isn't a safety feature.

The spoiler is functional and contributes to the range numbers. They can't leave it off.

So many misconceptions regarding spoilers out there. The DO NOT decrease range. They, in fact, increase it by reducing the low pressure zone (which causes drag) at the back of the vehicle.

Edit: My apologies for taking this thread off topic by bringing this up but I could have sworn the OP mentioned the spoiler decreasing range. I don't see it now.

Last edited:
So many misconceptions regarding spoilers out there. The DO NOT decrease range. They, in fact, increase it by reducing the low pressure zone (which causes drag) at the back of the vehicle.

Not according to Tesla's order page for the Model S, which by implication applies to the Model X too:

"Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Improve high speed stability by adding the carbon fiber spoiler to your trunk lid. Made from lightweight, cross-woven carbon fibers with a matte epoxy finish, we recently redesigned the spoiler to reduce lift at the car’s rear by 77% at highway speeds, with minimal range impact."

So it doesn't increase range. It decreases it, albeit minimally.

Not according to Tesla's order page for the Model S, which by implication applies to the Model X too:

"Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Improve high speed stability by adding the carbon fiber spoiler to your trunk lid. Made from lightweight, cross-woven carbon fibers with a matte epoxy finish, we recently redesigned the spoiler to reduce lift at the car’s rear by 77% at highway speeds, with minimal range impact."

To quote Inigo Montoya, "I do not think it means what you think it means." ;-)

Seriously though, where does it say the impact is negative?

Also, those words are not used in the US design studio.

"Carbon Fiber Spoiler

you cannot compare the X to the S. The design of the S body minimizes low pressure behind the vehicle which maximizes range. To do that with the X the back end would have to be much taller than it is resulting in more of a Prius look. The spoiler compensates for the lower body line by effectively making the body perform in the wind tunnel as if it was taller therefore reducing the low pressure behind the vehicle. It is quite clever actually.