Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No recent VIN assignments?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on what I'm seeing in the spreadsheet, the next batch of VINs released should include black and silver cars.

We have a pretty good set of data for ranges 43xx-66xx but we're missing data for VIN ranges 67xx, 67xx, 68xx, 69xx, 70xx, 72xx, 73xx, 75xx, 76xx, 78xx, 79xx, and 80xx.

However, at least part of 81xx and 82xx were white cars. This appears to be the pattern for the most part:

White
Black
Silver
Red
Blue

ha! I found a thread for sad ppl who haven't gotten their VINs. Y'all willing to welcome one more?

Configured Jan 29 (got invite around Jan 17). MSM Paint, Aero wheels, EAP. Still no VIN assignment.

Are Aeros what we all have in common?

If Aero's are what is keeping me from getting a vin, I will jump off the roof. I wish there was something that said, "Options that are quickest to get a VIN" and I would have selected it. (unless its white)

Well, these cars definitely seem to be getting built in batches based on paint color. However, there seems to be something that holds a few cars back each batch. I haven't found a pattern for those cars yet.

Aeros I have, wait I must.

Please don't tell me they are having supply issues with aero. Just great.

It’s def the Aeros. Arrange the Model 3 config spreadsheet in this forum by VIN# and you can see they just made Sport wheel configs recently. They’re doing about 1000 per wheel style before they switch. New Aeros should be coming around VIN 8800, or 9000 if you ordered midnight silver.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
Yeah, seems like they are doing around ~200 per color with some more of the popular ones, switching wheels pretty consistently at the X800 mark now.
Yep. If I had to guess, I'd say they're switching paint during the longer downtime between the night and morning shifts every other day.

I bet the goal at the moment is 100 cars per day (or 50 per shift). If they're getting close to that then it would explain the ~200 cars per paint color.

It’s def the Aeros. Arrange the Model 3 config spreadsheet in this forum by VIN# and you can see they just made Sport wheel configs recently. They’re doing about 1000 per wheel style before they switch. New Aeros should be coming around VIN 8800, or 9000 if you ordered midnight silver.
Based on this we should be up this coming week.
I have Red, EPA and Aeros.

Reactions: N8Howell33
You know, I thought you guys were jumping the gun here but the data doesn’t lie. It appears that you’re onto something with the wheel and paint batches. Nice detective work everyone!

Thanks for the spreadsheet sorting tip. I see the pattern now (though I wish we had a bit more entries in the highest VIN range). Makes me feel a little better that the delay isn't due to some issue, but rather getting a bit unlucky in their cycling of wheel/paint choice.

Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
81xx is a blue with 19”
That fits in line with the pattern. I've been matching VINs to colors based on forum posts (to add more data points) and it seems 80xx contained mostly blue and 82xx contained mostly white. So a blue or white in the 80xx range fits since the transition was somewhere in that range.

I too configured on 2-14 and ordered white. No Vin # yet.....
From what I can tell, they just finished a white batch around 2-14. So it makes sense that most of that white batch was already claimed. It also explained why a couple of people who ordered white cars that day got instant VINs. They got the remainder of the white batch.

Reactions: PoitNarf and UkrHog
That fits in line with the pattern. I've been matching VINs to colors based on forum posts (to add more data points) and it seems 80xx contained mostly blue and 82xx contained mostly white. So a blue or white in the 80xx range fits since the transition was somewhere in that range.

From what I can tell, they just finished a white batch around 2-14. So it makes sense that most of that white batch was already claimed. It also explained why a couple of people who ordered white cars that day got instant VINs. They got the remainder of the white batch.
I ordered white/Aeros on 1-24 SoCal-no VIN for me still.

I ordered white/Aeros on 1-24 SoCal-no VIN for me still.
See the post by Wolverinegeoff above. They should be finishing up with a run of sport tire cars very soon and then doing a run of aero tire cars.

Basically, the delay people are seeing is due to bad timing of current position in the production cycle at the time the order is placed.

For example, if someone orders a red car with sport tires and Tesla just so happens to be producing that combo right then or it is the next batch then boom, practically instant VIN assignment.

On the other hand, if someone orders a red car with sport tires and Tesla just finished producing a batch of red cars with sport tires then you have to wait for the color cycle to repeat. This wait can be lengthened if either the next batch (or next several batches) of that combo is already claimed (orders placed before yours) or Tesla switches to the other tire option (for roughly the next 1000 cars).

Last edited:
See the post by Wolverinegeoff above. They should be finishing up with a run of sport tire cars very soon and then doing a run of aero tire cars.

Basically, the delay people are seeing is due to bad timing of current position in the production cycle at the time the order is placed.

For example, if someone orders a red car with sport tires and Tesla just so happens to be producing that combo right then or it is the next batch then boom, practically instant VIN assignment.

On the other hand, if someone orders a red car with sport tires and Tesla just finished producing a batch of red cars with sport tires then you have to wait for the color cycle to repeat. This wait can be lengthened if either the next batch (or next several batches) of that combo is already claimed (orders placed before yours) or Tesla switches to the other tire option (for roughly the next 1000 cars).
I definitely hope you’re right.

Reactions: UkrHog

I ordered a White one before that date. On 2-7-2018 No Vin As of today.