Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No recent VIN assignments?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I configured my car on the 15th and have not received a VIN, despite the sales associate saying it should be "imminent". I was starting to get worried but looking at the Model 3 Invites spreadsheet, it looks like very few VINs have been assigned for people who have configured in the last few weeks. Filtering by configuraiton date, I see 68 configured cars since January 6th, but only 9 vin assignments (~13%). Do we know what's going on to cause the delays?

So I configured my car on the 15th and have not received a VIN, despite the sales associate saying it should be "imminent". I was starting to get worried but looking at the Model 3 Invites spreadsheet, it looks like very few VINs have been assigned for people who have configured in the last few weeks. Filtering by configuraiton date, I see 68 configured cars since January 6th, but only 9 vin assignments (~13%). Do we know what's going on to cause the delays?
I ordered on the 4th and got my VIN 44xx today.

Reactions: NAT3 and Yuri_G
It’s probably some odd algorithm at work. I ordered on the 4th and still no VIN. Based on the spreadsheet I see VINs and deliveries scheduled North South East and West of me for people who orders after me. I’m assuming it has a lot to do with the local Tesla store. If I had selected the store just 2 hours north of me I’d be driving my 3 already.

I don’t think it’s as simple as color + region since all the people who have listed Richmond, VA still don’t have a VIN and there are different color combos in that group.

The other outlier is that Inside Sales out in Las Vegas is handling the process to include scheduling at the local store. This means that the local DS isn’t running their own schedule. I’m wondering then if part of the issue could be that the local store must have to update their schedule to allow for the Inside Sales team to handle the scheduling. I have this fear that certain stores are simply not realizing their schedules are “blocked” so then Inside Sales can’t see the open delivery time and then don’t assign the VIN.

Wacky thoughts in my 3 weeks past order depression

Things that might affect VIN assignments.

1. Has the store you selected delivered any model threes. IE they may not have been trained yet.

2. Color combination and wheel options.

3. Transportation. Car carrier available going to selected site.

4. Moon and stars aligned properly!

This adds nothing. How bout other stats. Color, Location, configure date?
Oh rough crowd in the VIN threads.

Reserved 3/31 in DC store as owner with local address. Invite jan 4; configured white 18" Jan 6. Annoyed other Jan 4 invites were getting vins and even cars but not me until finally today getting Vin 56xx

Update: Tesla email states delivery after Feb 3

Last edited:
Well they took about two weeks for me to get a VIN (438X). I had ordered on 1/4 and got VIN on 1/20. I've gotten a couple calls from Tesla so far, next one should be for scheduling delivery... My guess is sometime next week.