Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No recent VIN assignments?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The VIN appears low any opinions on that.
I have an opinion, but it is pure speculation: they matched your configuration to an existing car.

Other possibilities: VINs aren’t created in sequence, and they started to make this car when you ordered and gave it a VIN they skipped. (The VIN skipping theory vs. the match to an existing vehicle theory both have drawbacks. The match to existing seems more plausible, but doesn’t explain wait times unless you assume it came off the line and they needed to rework it. That’s a theory of its own)

Reactions: benjiejr
I have an opinion, but it is pure speculation: they matched your configuration to an existing car.

Other possibilities: VINs aren’t created in sequence, and they started to make this car when you ordered and gave it a VIN they skipped. (The VIN skipping theory vs. the match to an existing vehicle theory both have drawbacks. The match to existing seems more plausible, but doesn’t explain wait times unless you assume it came off the line and they needed to rework it. That’s a theory of its own)
Could be they have batches they had to retrofit with some of the things they are fixing on peoples' cars currently (e.g. suspension), or some part of the line screwed up and they had to go fix a certain aspect of a specific run of cars, hence the late assignment for a random 4k VIN. Seems unlikely that a black w/ aero config from the 4k's sat around for over a month b/c nobody picked that config though, so maybe we can eliminate that option. No way to truly know though!

Reactions: benjiejr
I made a mistake in my color batch order in a previous post. The correct order is:

White
Black
Midnight Silver
Silver
Red
Blue

Basically, I left out midnight silver. Also, they don't appear to be skipping colors. It seems they are just doing shorter or longer runs based on what I assume is configurations ordered.

Black VIN to show up before white doesn't make sense. However, this low VIN might be from an earlier batch as Wolverinegeoff has mentioned. My guess is that once they clear all those earlier batches, new white Aero production should be next. I hope. My VIN better be super high

Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
Black VIN to show up before white doesn't make sense. However, this low VIN might be from an earlier batch as Wolverinegeoff has mentioned. My guess is that once they clear all those earlier batches, new white Aero production should be next. I hope. My VIN better be super high
Dunno. The pattern leading up to 82xx repeated enough that it was fairly clear. However, who knows what's going on now.

Apparently there were dual motor VINs registered in the 83xx range and at least one of those cars has been spotted. So it seems this delay in customer car production was at least somewhat planned. I just don't get why they released so many invites on 2/14 if they knew this delay would happen. Why let so many people configure and have orders pile up when it's clear they hadn't even fulfilled all orders from the previous invite batch?

Well if Tesla offers you a very low VIN I would respectfully decline it and ask for a new production VIN and I would be willing to wait. I waited this long whats a few more weeks. Lets be honest All companies are guilty of reselling vehicles that were previously been rejected and dont properly disclose this practice.

If you dont believe me just read this lawsuit.

Tesla accused of knowingly selling defective vehicles in new lawsuit