Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No recent VIN assignments?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post here at TMC. My name's Travis. Nice to meet y'all.

Thought I would throw my hat in here today (excited). I am a non-owner, line waiter, configured on 2/22 with Black / 19'' sport from Lexington, Kentucky and just got my VIN a little while ago. Woohoo!

What is your VIN? Curious to see if LV Acrobat's concerns are valid. You'd be the first black config north of 6XXX if you have a later VIN.

Nooooo.... that means they finally did black but in sport wheels not Aeros.

I, too, am waiting for a black/aero config, ordered 2/22. Perhaps his car was already sitting nearby unclaimed or was made and attached to an old VIN as of yet un-ordered.

What?
If I look in the spread cheat I can't see any pattern for that Tesla is making them in a certain order even if some people here clams so. Have we ever see a picture on the Model S and X production line that shows that Tesla is making them in order after color?
Use the vin order data filter. Pretty clear to see an order(not perfect but obvious). Also sort by color and see that black with Aeros haven’t had a good run since 4800-4900’s.

VIN received: 82xx
Configured: 2/22
Blue w/ sport wheels
Non owner
Line waiter
Charlotte, NC

VIN was not there when I looked last night but was when I looked first thing this morning.

Hmmm.... I configured on 2/17 and I’m a model S owner. I ordered Blue, Aero wheels, no AP and still no VIN. I didn’t believe in the wheel batches but this kinda adds to that theory. Plus they may be prioritizing on AP vs non-AP to generate move revenue.

Congrats on getting your VIN. Post pictures when you get it.

Reactions: RUNSILNT
Use the vin order data filter. Pretty clear to see an order(not perfect but obvious). Also sort by color and see that black with Aeros haven’t had a good run since 4800-4900’s.

But we already know they aren’t producing cars in VIN order. Retooling paint isn’t difficult and retooling wheels basically isn’t a thing. It’s completely possible that a 6xxx VIN is being produced in between two 7xxx VINs.

The only apparent order we see is probably because it’s easier to allocate a range of VINs to a specific configuration, but they don’t have to produce them in order.

• Helpful
Reactions: LV Acrobat
Hmmm.... I configured on 2/17 and I’m a model S owner. I ordered Blue, Aero wheels, no AP and still no VIN. I didn’t believe in the wheel batches but this kinda adds to that theory. Plus they may be prioritizing on AP vs non-AP to generate move revenue.

The 2/22 order that received a VIN today indicated no AP selected. I'm incredibly grateful Tesla didn't decide to make this an issue for order priority.

• Helpful
Reactions: LV Acrobat

I don’t think they’re prioritizing AP, given I’m black/aero/AP with a 2/4 config. No VIN.

Okey, now I see what you mean. I sorted on the date people had got there VIN and couldn't see any order at all but if you sort on VIN you do see a order. wonder if they produce them in VIN order or close to the order people have got there VIN. I have read people here in Sweden order a Model S and got a VIN lower then a demo car that already was in Sweden for test drives, hard to argue then that Tesla makes them in VIN order.

For those of you in N. Cal who are taking delivery at the factory, just to let you know that the time from VIN assignment to delivery is pretty quick. My previous M3 delivery from VIN assignment to delivery was 4-5 days. So it makes sense that they would assign cars now for cross country delivery earlier since the logistics is greater. They’ll still make quarter end numbers if they assign CA orders at the tail end of the 6 week timeframe.