Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No recent VIN assignments?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could very well be the issue. I just wish Tesla would tell those with white cars on order that there is a production delay and if they pick another color, it'll get instant VIN assignment or something like that or they can wait. They'd likely never do that due to bad press but it'd be th right thing to do. I'd likely switch colors if I knew white was going to be delayed forever.
One would think that paint color issue could have been fixed already since Dec if it was just a bad batch. I'm not familiar with painting, is there such a thing as the painting process altering the color of the paint even if the paint is from the same batch? Is it possible that the machine that painted the bumper is mismatched to the machine that painted the fender?

So it looks like a larger batch of VINs went out and we may see more people reporting today. Clearly moving towards 10k now.

One of the cars around 97XX was reported from the service to be almost through production so its improving and we have 3 weeks to go for QE.

The highest I could find is from M3OC:

"Day 1 Reservation holder. At the time I made the reservation I was not a Tesla owner. In November I bought a Model S. I got an invite sometime in December but ordered 22-Feb-2018. I just got a VIN assigned a few minutes ago! Ordered Red Model 3 with Sport Wheels and EAP.VIN is 9808"
As there is two that have reported 98xx we maybe have a higher but we don’t know for sure until someone mention it.

One would think that paint color issue could have been fixed already since Dec if it was just a bad batch. I'm not familiar with painting, is there such a thing as the painting process altering the color of the paint even if the paint is from the same batch? Is it possible that the machine that painted the bumper is mismatched to the machine that painted the fender?
I don't know how it works, but someone scraped the side of my wife's white Optima about 5 years ago and after the body shop fixed it, we got it back and the white looked just slightly different after it cured. Had to take it back and the next time you couldn't tell it had ever been fixed. He said that happens with some of the white paint sometimes, so who knows how common it is.

• Informative
Reactions: Waiting4M3
I don't know how it works, but someone scraped the side of my wife's white Optima about 5 years ago and after the body shop fixed it, we got it back and the white looked just slightly different after it cured. Had to take it back and the next time you couldn't tell it had ever been fixed. He said that happens with some of the white paint sometimes, so who knows how common it is.

It is very common for pearl white to not match. This problem is not specific to Tesla. When I had the bumper on my pearl white car (not a Tesla) replaced, the body shop had to blend the paint up the surrounding panels in order to reduce the mismatch. Afterward, the body shop manager showed me that their paint job matched the surrounding panels better than the factory paint job on the front bumper. Also, I recently saw a 2018 Honda Accord in pearl white with mismatch much, much worse than You You's car.

Guess I have experience with this. I had a pearl white jeep years ago. I was rear ended, and the body shop I used didn't seem to care that the repainted hatch was a very different shade of white. I made them repaint it. Looked good the second time. I will rejoice like a giddy school girl when we start to see white VINs popping up again.

It is very common for pearl white to not match. This problem is not specific to Tesla. When I had the bumper on my pearl white car (not a Tesla) replaced, the body shop had to blend the paint up the surrounding panels in order to reduce the mismatch. Afterward, the body shop manager showed me that their paint job matched the surrounding panels better than the factory paint job on the front bumper. Also, I recently saw a 2018 Honda Accord in pearl white with mismatch much, much worse than You You's car.

My worry that Multi-coat Red would also be hard to match is partly the reason I've decided to get a full wrap.

Model S owner, Configured 2/17, Las Vegas delivery, still no VIN. Expecting it any day hopefully. Lots of people who configured after me have been assigned VINs but it does appear they are all mid-west or east coasters. Hopefully west coast is coming any day now. I suppose they could hold off for another week or more though and still make 1st quarter if they truly are prioritizing east coast orders at the moment. The delivery centers will busy at the end of the month getting us all through.

So jealous. Wish I was a current owner. Reserved on 2/23/18. Probably won’t get a car for a year haha. Congrats! Hope to see you on the road around Seattle metro.
Yes there is. Metallics and pearls can be affected by the procedure used in painting. Metallics much more than pearls. The difference you see in the picture is similar to differences found on many Japanese cars. Acura has been especially bad at times. Also, if a flexibilizer is used on the skins, it can cause a color shift. Surprisingly, many people can’t even see the difference.

Model S owner, Configured 2/17, Las Vegas delivery, still no VIN. Expecting it any day hopefully. Lots of people who configured after me have been assigned VINs but it does appear they are all mid-west or east coasters. Hopefully west coast is coming any day now. I suppose they could hold off for another week or more though and still make 1st quarter if they truly are prioritizing east coast orders at the moment. The delivery centers will busy at the end of the month getting us all through.
I ordered 2/14 and no VIN also Vegas. Our cars will most likely get on a truck together and I assume get VIN together.

Could very well be the issue. I just wish Tesla would tell those with white cars on order that there is a production delay and if they pick another color, it'll get instant VIN assignment or something like that or they can wait. They'd likely never do that due to bad press but it'd be th right thing to do. I'd likely switch colors if I knew white was going to be delayed forever.

And black cars :)

Reactions: LV Acrobat