Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No recording for DashCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have set up a 32 GB USB drive with a folder called TeslaCam. I can save files to it on my computer with no problem. I plugged it in to a cable from the USB port in the car and I see the dashcam icon on the screen. However, I am not getting a red dot and it is not recording. What step am I missing to get it to record?

Is it FAT32 formatted? I think maximum partition size is 32gb, so you're good there.

... when will this myth finally die...? The 32GB limitation is with Windows own built-in formatting tool. If formatting on Windows you need to use a 3rd party tool since Microsoft limits the size to 32GB. This size limitation is designed to give you incentive to format it as NTFS instead of FAT32. Most operating systems support up to 2TB for FAT32 formatted partitions and the actual upper limit for a FAT32 partition is 16TB.

I'm not sure what version you're on, but for my car on 2019.5.4, I noticed that when first plugging in the usb drive, I have to tap the dashcam icon to get the red dot. This is different than 2018.50.6 where it would start recording within a few seconds of plugging in the drive.

My sandisk iXpand 32GB worked fine before the 5.4 update. Now it shows the “x” and pressing the dash cam button does nothing. I reformatted Fat32 and still nothing. Is there a specific allocation size that works with the car? The drive works fine in my computer and directly connected to my iPhone.

My sandisk iXpand 32GB worked fine before the 5.4 update. Now it shows the “x” and pressing the dash cam button does nothing. I reformatted Fat32 and still nothing. Is there a specific allocation size that works with the car? The drive works fine in my computer and directly connected to my iPhone.

My cheapy 16GB flash drive has been working flawlessly since 5.4 update and before that on 50.6. I believe the allocation size was 8K when I formatted it. You didn't just "press" it right? You press and hold until the icon makes a flash?

My cheapy 16GB flash drive has been working flawlessly since 5.4 update and before that on 50.6. I believe the allocation size was 8K when I formatted it. You didn't just "press" it right? You press and hold until the icon makes a flash?
Not sure what you mean, but I have pressed it for 1 to 60 secs and it never blinks. Also, when your finger is on it you can’t really see it to know if it blinks. I made it work to see if it would blink, but nope. I even did a hard and soft reboot in the car. Still “x”

Not sure what you mean, but I have pressed it for 1 to 60 secs and it never blinks. Also, when your finger is on it you can’t really see it to know if it blinks. I made it work to see if it would blink, but nope. I even did a hard and soft reboot in the car. Still “x”

Maybe not "blink". You know how you drop a stone into the water and the wave push out in a circle? If you hold for a second, you would see that wave (little darker than the screen) pushes out in a circle around the icon (and your finger).

Maybe not "blink". You know how you drop a stone into the water and the wave push out in a circle? If you hold for a second, you would see that wave (little darker than the screen) pushes out in a circle around the icon (and your finger).
Nope, no such luck. It doesn’t like my thumb drives or the computer I formatted them with. I’ve tried various allocation sizes too. The drive works great everywhere but in my Tesla.

From the Manual (12/20/18), Pg 63 on Using Dashcam:

"Note: Tesla recommends using a flash drive with as much available storage as possible; saving the most recent ten-minutes of video requires approximately 300 MB, and the hour- long video footage loop requires approximately 1.8 GB of free space. If yourflash drive does not have sufficient storage, an "X" displays on the dashcam icon and dashcam may be unable to save video files."

Also while TeslaCam will rewrite over the 1-hour buffered space, saved files with TeslaCam (ie an accident or whatever you manually elect to save in a 10 minute file) and files created by Sentry Mode (ie while parking and triggered to record by "Alert") do not get written over so accumulate on your flashdrive until deleted. If you have a small flashdrive you may have to do this daily depending on your usage.

Last edited:
From the Manual (12/20/18), Pg 63 on Using Dashcam:

"Note: Tesla recommends using a flash drive with as much available storage as possible; saving the most recent ten-minutes of video requires approximately 300 MB, and the hour- long video footage loop requires approximately 1.8 GB of free space. If yourflash drive does not have sufficient storage, an "X" displays on the dashcam icon and dashcam may be unable to save video files."

Also while TeslaCam will rewrite over the 1-hour buffered space, saved files with TeslaCam (ie an accident or whatever you manually elect to save in a 10 minute file) and files created by Sentry Mode (ie while parking and triggered to record by "Alert") do not get written over so accumulate on your flashdrive until deleted. If you have a small flashdrive you may have to do this daily depending on your usage.
My drive was corrupted without being full of video. Maybe a bug and why 5.4 is not being put on cars anymore.

To report back, I had a friend try reformatting my 32G San Disk flash, but it still did not work. We put his flash drive in my car and it worked fine. So I purchased a 128G Samsung flash drive, formatted Fat32 with the aid of a utility, and it works fine. Is there now a problem with 32Gigs and sentry mode? Don’t know why else it was unhappy with the San Disk. It was definitely formatted and set up correctly, and had no problems working in my computer. I’m sure I won’t be sorry having the extra storage with the 128G Samsung, and it was only $25 at Amazon.

My drive was corrupted without being full of video. Maybe a bug and why 5.4 is not being put on cars anymore.

I was running 5.4 for a couple of weeks now (until last night when I got 5.15) and no problems recognizing the flashdrive or corruption problems where it wouldn't write to it. Don't think it's the update version. I've been using a San Disk 128GB Ultra that says it was compatible with USB 2.0. It's speed is up to 100 MB/s which isn't as high as others out there I'm seeing. I do have some green screen corruption on the video files, not all the time, but generally on my left repeater camera and thinking that might be the result of a camera issue but not sure yet. Haven't talked to Tesla about it yet.

Tesla Cam not working after 5.15 software update. anyone else having this issue. All I am seeing is the Dashcam icon with a little x in the corner. Before the update I had the red dot that would be showing. Is the fix just to reformat and then add the TeslaCam folder again. Or is there another step I need to do. My current flashdrive is only 32gb, you think that is too small now with Sentry and causing the issue?