Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No recording for DashCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. Dashcam worked with recording red signal for two weeks until update yesterday. 32 gig Samsung drive. Then I got the house with the little x. Using 32gig Samsung drive formatted with TeslaCam folder. I took out the USB drive and went into the TeslaCam folder using my desktop and deleted the subfolders and recordings inside the TeslaCam folder. Then reinserted it into USB and it worked. Red dot is now on. So perhaps usb was full? Thought it was supposed to overnight but perhaps some glitch with new system? Anyway works now with a 32 gig drive.

I have set up a 32 GB USB drive with a folder called TeslaCam. I can save files to it on my computer with no problem. I plugged it in to a cable from the USB port in the car and I see the dashcam icon on the screen. However, I am not getting a red dot and it is not recording. What step am I missing to get it to record?

Try reformatting it, and adding the TeslaCam folder back. The car doesn't like any data on the USB drive at all except it's own. Needs to be FAT32 format for AP 2.5

I just solved my problem. Perhaps it will help you too. I used the free Seagate Disk Wizard. I found that my drive was "unallocated" even though it was set as FAT32. I used the Seagate program to turn my disk into a MBR (Master Boot Record). Formatted FAT32 again and created the TeslaCam folder again. Wasn't expecting much, BUT it worked. Use whatever you need to to make sure your primary partition is MBR. Might do the trick.

I just solved my problem. Perhaps it will help you too. I used the free Seagate Disk Wizard. I found that my drive was "unallocated" even though it was set as FAT32. I used the Seagate program to turn my disk into a MBR (Master Boot Record). Formatted FAT32 again and created the TeslaCam folder again. Wasn't expecting much, BUT it worked. Use whatever you need to to make sure your primary partition is MBR. Might do the trick.
This doesn't seem to be working for me. What function did you use? If I set the "Add Disk" and the drive to MBR, it still doesn't seem to click...

I have a strange problem. I am using a 500GB Samsung Portable SSD. It's formatted Fat32. It seems to work fine... the red light comes on every time I get in the car and I assumed it was recording as I drove. I went to look at the dashcam viewer and there's just one recording from last year. I took the drive out (after turning off the camera) and there's nothing there except that one sentry recording and the time I manually saved a recording. So it appears to record, but nothing is on the drive.

I have a strange problem. I am using a 500GB Samsung Portable SSD. It's formatted Fat32. It seems to work fine... the red light comes on every time I get in the car and I assumed it was recording as I drove. I went to look at the dashcam viewer and there's just one recording from last year. I took the drive out (after turning off the camera) and there's nothing there except that one sentry recording and the time I manually saved a recording. So it appears to record, but nothing is on the drive.

I think your dashcam is working as designed. If you aren’t manually saving a recording, videos are deleted at the end of a drive. If you specifically save a video, that will be retained as well as any sentry mode captures. This was a big surprise to me when I bought the car and had typically used a stand-alone dashcam that would fill the drive before it started deleting old files.

I am guessing that you used the viewer when you first got in the car at the start of a trip. If you drive somewhere and look at the dashcam viewer when you park, you should see the videos from that drive. They will be deleted after a few hours of the car being idle (maybe less). If you want to retain a video, remember to tap the button to save it within a few minutes of the incident occurring.

AFAIK the viewer only shows manually saved, or sentry saved, videos- not the normal contents of the 60 minute rolling "recent" footage that isn't saved long term.

If you pull the drive out at the end of a drive and plug it into a computer do you see a recent folder with clips?

As far as the "red light comes on" which one?

There's one for dashcam- which is the only feature that actually records any video.

There's one for Sentry (which itself does NOT record video ever it only moves dashcam-recorded video, the last 10 minutes worth, to the sentry folder is sentry goes to alert or alarm mode)

The sentry light can be on even if the dashcam one is not- which will result in nothing being recorded because again dashcam, not sentry, is what does the recording.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I haven’t put my flash drive in a computer since the last few updates. But historically, the flash drive would save every trip no matter how uneventful. There were separate folders at that time for saved and recent. If that has changed that would explain why your uneventful trips have not been logged.

Solution for Mac users:
1 go to Disk Utility
2 right-click the corrupt disk/usb stick in the side bar
3 select "erase..."
4 Name: TESLADRIVE
5 Format: ExFat
6 Scheme: GUID Partition Map
7 Click Erase button
8 TESLADRIVE appears on desktop
9 Open it and create new folder called "TeslaCam"
10 Eject "TESLADRIVE"