TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

No referral rewards for BC residents now

Discussion in 'Canada' started by dmd2005, Aug 30, 2018.

1. dmd2005

dmd2005 Member

Just got a heads up that BC doesn’t qualify for awards anymore. That sucks because I’m suppose to get another set of wheels...not sure if I get them now and will have to check with Tesla.

It’s on their site under limits.
    Referral Program

Attached Files:

• Informative x 2
  2. f-stop

f-stop Active Member

Well that’s just grand... Not that it really makes a difference as I’m stuck on 1, and already took delivery of my black HPWC. Anyhow, reminiscent of VA and OH state residents being denied referral awards.

Wonder what law changed (should we blame the NDP?)

3. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

I wonder if the gov is trying to call referral perks compensation, thus people that earn them can be considered Tesla employees for tax purposes?

4. Funkmobile

Funkmobile Member

That sort of determination is usually done at the federal level rather than provincial. So it's perplexing why it's only limited to BC.

5. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

I'm just wildly speculating.

All I have to go on is that I know some provinces have rules/requirements for prize payouts and winnings, so I'm trying to find how to conflate that with this issue.

6. dmd2005

dmd2005 Member

I was told it was something to do with the BC Motor Dealers Act and Tesla is going to dispute it, so in the meantime the disclaimer is on their site. I was going to use my 4th referral to get a set of wheels and get a P3D myself to get to the 5th and claim the $7800 credit towards buying autopilot post-delivery. That changes alot of plans for me and I’ll probably just wait for a 3SR next year.

I was also told by my source that the P3D will be added to the BC CEV list sometime next week because all Model 3 trim levels will qualify for the BC incentive.

• Informative x 1
  7. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

Ah, I shoulda guessed it was some stealership shenanagins. :mad:

• Funny x 1
  8. phtp

phtp Member

Thinking it's the same shenanagins as to why scrapit removed the model 3 all together. They recently added the kona ev suv and it's not even available until winter 2019.

9. Corsair

Corsair Member

This is utterly depressing. It would explain why awards didn't show up after 2 of my friends used my referral code to place their P3D orders.

Car dealerships, never liked them much .... but now, despising them even more.

• Like x 2
  10. yamanote

yamanote Member

A moot point now, but you'd only receive notification about your rewards after your friends take delivery.

11. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

From the act Motor Dealer Act

And

So I guess we can not be compensated as we are not registered as a salesperson.

• Informative x 1
  12. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

I just found out about this the other day. It sure explains allot as one referral for sure used my code but nothing showed up. Then the other day someone trying to use my code pointed this out. I should have some wheels by now... Very disappointing.

13. marcn

marcn Member

Now that the referral program has changed so that any Model 3 now applies as a referral (not just performance) - it's even more unfortunate that BC is excluded from the program. Is there anything we can do to get this changed? Any updates from Tesla about this?

• Like x 1
  14. LionAsh

LionAsh Member

Very sad to learn this. I just finished one referral and was on my way to two more.

At least my friends get 6 months of supercharging now.
    Referral Program

15. dskid

dskid Member

Son of a... I just got three on my way to four! Wonder if it's worth getting licensed....

• Funny x 1
  16. perfectg

perfectg Member

17. dskid

dskid Member

I ended up with three, but no chance to choose the prizes. I didn't even get any free supercharging. Sigh.

18. dskid

dskid Member

Did you ever get the wheels?

19. dmd2005

dmd2005 Member

Got to 5 referrals and I didn’t get anything for my 4th or 5th...would have gotten another set of wheels and an invite to a reveal event otherwise.

20. adaptabl

adaptabl Banned

Great news that the whole program has been scrapped. What a waste of money.

• Like x 1