Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No referral rewards for BC residents now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the price increase planned next week I contacted the referral program to convert my Powerwall reward to the credit, but got this extremely frustrating news. I'm hoping but very doubtful they'll consider grandfathering rewards achieved before this change, but I have a feeling they won't - especially when Tesla is tightening its belt.

I was literally about to jump over to an X using the reward plus the current price breaks, but now I'm not going to do it now. My S is still amazing but I was thinking of leveraging the reward to upgrade earlier than planned.

With the price increase planned next week I contacted the referral program to convert my Powerwall reward to the credit, but got this extremely frustrating news. I'm hoping but very doubtful they'll consider grandfathering rewards achieved before this change, but I have a feeling they won't - especially when Tesla is tightening its belt.

I was literally about to jump over to an X using the reward plus the current price breaks, but now I'm not going to do it now. My S is still amazing but I was thinking of leveraging the reward to upgrade earlier than planned.
Honestly, I don’t think they can. This wasn’t driven by Tesla, it was brought about by external forces.

Wow, I just ordered my model 3 yesterday and then noticed the referral program ineligibility for BC residents... that really sucks. Does anyone know if we still get supercharger KMs? I first ordered my model 3 without referral code and called in to have them add one, they had me cancel my previous order and reorder using referral link.... no one said anything about ineligibility.

Wow, I just ordered my model 3 yesterday and then noticed the referral program ineligibility for BC residents... that really sucks. Does anyone know if we still get supercharger KMs? I first ordered my model 3 without referral code and called in to have them add one, they had me cancel my previous order and reorder using referral link.... no one said anything about ineligibility.

BC buyers have been receiving supercharger credits. I received 7500 in June.

What we don’t receive is compensation when someone uses our referral code.

BC says that constitutes compensation regarding the purchase of a motor vehicle. Anyone who receives compensation regarding the purchase of a motor vehicle must be licensed to sell vehicles.

Major bummer... I hope that changes in the future.

The issue arises from the BC Motor Dealer Act.

It says, in part,

“salesperson" means

(a)an individual, other than a motor dealer, who, on behalf of a motor dealer and for or in the expectation of a fee, gain or reward,

(i)solicits, negotiates or arranges for the sale of a motor vehicle to a person, or

(ii)in any way participates in the soliciting, negotiating or arranging for the sale of a motor vehicle to a person, or

(b)an individual who is a motor dealer and who

(i)solicits, negotiates or arranges for the sale of a motor vehicle to a person, or

(ii)in any way participates in the soliciting, negotiating or arranging for the sale of a motor vehicle to a person;

Under the Salesperson Licensing Regulation

2 A person must not act as a salesperson unless the person holds a valid salesperson licence.

So this won’t change except through a change in the Act or the Regulation.

Getting it onto the legislative agenda to change the Act is unlikely. But lobbying government (NDP) MLAs could result in a change to the Regulation simply by a cabinet order.

BC buyers have been receiving supercharger credits. I received 7500 in June.

What we don’t receive is compensation when someone uses our referral code.

BC says that constitutes compensation regarding the purchase of a motor vehicle. Anyone who receives compensation regarding the purchase of a motor vehicle must be licensed to sell vehicles.
Didn't someone change their address temporarily on their account to an address in the states and they got the referral miles? I forgot which thread it was in.

BC residents are still receiving their bonus kms when they refer someone. It seems Tesla is removing supercharging kms for only those who inquire about their missing or delayed bonus, stating their policy and that they will be auditing BC Tesla owners. Hasn't happened yet. Probably won't. Everyone I know that has referred someone is continuing to receive their bonuses. Mine got revoked. The Vehicle Sales Authority of BC has no way to monitor this since it's all on Tesla's system, and no one is going to admit they got theirs. They sold and continue to sell a lot of cars because of this referral program. Just look at kijiji, Craigslist, BC forums etc. Plus we all mostly used a referral when we bought ours. How would VSABC enforce this? How would they get access? Will they retroactively fine Tesla for referral kms given in the last year? Doubt it.

BC residents are still receiving their bonus kms when they refer someone. It seems Tesla is removing supercharging kms for only those who inquire about their missing or delayed bonus, stating their policy and that they will be auditing BC Tesla owners. Hasn't happened yet. Probably won't. Everyone I know that has referred someone is continuing to receive their bonuses. Mine got revoked. The Vehicle Sales Authority of BC has no way to monitor this since it's all on Tesla's system, and no one is going to admit they got theirs. They sold and continue to sell a lot of cars because of this referral program. Just look at kijiji, Craigslist, BC forums etc. Plus we all mostly used a referral when we bought ours. How would VSABC enforce this? How would they get access? Will they retroactively fine Tesla for referral kms given in the last year? Doubt it.

It’s called a subpoena.

My referral KMs disappeared yesterday also, 15,000 km from 2 friends that picked up their Model 3's a 2 and 3 weeks ago, I now hope that I never find out that my name is picked to win a Model Y or the Roadster!!! This is total bs, only place in Canada that has this rule and only in BC would they even try to get away with this baloney! So they cut the incentives in half and now this, wow and I thought this place considered themselves Green custodians of the land...doesn't seem like it.