Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'No Regen' Pedal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you guys serious? Maybe we should sue all the car makers who have clutches in their cars???

Glad someone thinks this too I was starting to think I was crazy.

I admit that having an extra pedal seems really odd and clunky when there is no real need for it.

I have never driven a roadster, and think putting all the regen on the accelerator pedal is the way to go. I don't know if you would really ever use such a pedal. But it would solve the 'stop softly' problem that a few people have brought up. It would also be a perfect compromise between the creep is good and creep is bad crowds. And for me well it wouldn't be a big deal, I have never thought pushing in a clutch (even in traffic) was really that big of a deal.

Are you guys serious? Maybe we should sue all the car makers who have clutches in their cars???

Yes. On a manual transmission, you have to use the clutch with every gear change. That's very different from putting an extra pedal next to the brake, when that aforesaid pedal actually reduces the braking effect. I suspect it wouldn't be long before someone hurtling towards an accident stomps on the wrong pedal thinking they are braking. In my experience the vast majority of Americans (at least) have little/no experience in driving a manual stick shift.

Just put it on the stalk, no problem.

I think the max and min settings would be nice. I don't think they should turn it off. That's part of the fun of driving an EV with one pedal. It would also greatly affect range at least in city driving if they turned it off and people may complain they are not getting the range promised.

After reading this thread I tried shifting into neutral inorder to see what efficiency improvements I could get. Prior to using neutral my average was 306kW/mile, after using neutral for a few weeks my average is 273kW/mile. You have to shift into neutral rather aggressively and coast instead of using the throttle to maintain constant speed. Every slight down hill is in neutral and every stop is neutral first for a bit then shift to regen to come to a stop. I found that I am shifting almost as much as one would shift a manual transmission.

Adding this post from another thread.

I am not saying for the Model S or X. But in the future it would be awesome to have a clutch/no-regen pedal!

:biggrin:

ElSupreme, you may not be old enough to know but there were/are laws in some states against putting a car in neutral or depressing the clutch to coast while driving. I don't know how they would ever know if the law was broken but the laws were made in the past in the interest of safety.

ElSupreme, you may not be old enough to know but there were/are laws in some states against putting a car in neutral or depressing the clutch to coast while driving. I don't know how they would ever know if the law was broken but the laws were made in the past in the interest of safety.

In the drum brake era it was a good law. I recall running out of brakes several times in my Dad's car. During the time I drove the Land-Rover Series III, I learned that brakes were only to stop the last little bit. One of the best things on the Land-Rover was that the parking brake was a drum brake mounted on the drive shaft. You could use that after your regular brakes faded. Of course, if you always geared down to brake, they weren't usually a problem.

For those of you who never drove a Land-Rover Series III (or earlier). Watch "The Gods Must Be Crazy". Those screen writers obviously had great familiarity with the Land Rover.

Yep, I lost points on my driver's test for this. I was coming up to a stop sign behind a school bus. I had just downshifted into 2nd when the bus pulled away. I just pushed the clutch pedal back in and coasted to the stop sign. State Trooper knocked off points for that. Something about always being under power in case I needed to accelerate.

Yep, I lost points on my driver's test for this. I was coming up to a stop sign behind a school bus. I had just downshifted into 2nd when the bus pulled away. I just pushed the clutch pedal back in and coasted to the stop sign. State Trooper knocked off points for that. Something about always being under power in case I needed to accelerate.
My son will be taking his driver's license road test shortly after my Model S arrives. Although I'm not going to let him take the test in the Model S, I would still love to see the in-car video of the trooper if he did. "Turn on the engine, son." "It's on already, sir." ...

It's silly downshifting from 2nd to 1st a lot of the time, especially if you have a 6 speed. By the time you get the clutch engaged it's time to stop. Good idea to at least have the shifter sitting in a gear rather than neutral, though.

Honestly I can't see them adding a "no regen" pedal, although in certain circumstances I could see the purpose. The "trim tab" idea on another thread sounds useful and likely... but not likely enough to actually happen.

Personally I'd be very happy just to get adjustable regen.

Kid here in LA took his driver's test in his father's Roadster.
Wow. I was planning to use my Mom's '67 Beetle for mine (parallel park that thing in a shoebox) but the speedometer cable broke the day before the test. So I ended up taking it in my Dad's BMW 733i - his most prized possession. Everything was going fine until the parallel parking section. They had a simulated space in between two concrete posts. As I approached the posts I saw that they were covered with every color of paint imaginable. I then saw my life flash before my eyes if any BMW sapphire blue ended up on one of those posts. So I pulled up about 6 feet away and said, "I'm done". Trooper asked if I was even going to try. "Nope." "Ok, 10 points.". Still had plenty to pass (even with my "coasting" infraction).

I asked about adjustable regen today.....sounds like that is still undecided, but some minimum "creep" is a safety feature, primarily to prevent you exiting the car with it in "D". Overall the regen is much more efficient than the Roadster so it should feel "smoother" and the "coasting on regen to a stoplight/junction" distance will likely be longer than the Roadster. Those of us who drive Roadsters will need to adjust to the slightly different feel.