Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No regen yesterday (briefly)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday was the first time I've ever charged in range mode. I didn't think I'd really need it, but there was just enough uncertainly about where I'd be going, that I did it. As a result (of course) I had no regen for a while.

I've changed in range mode once in my year of ownership.

I live at the top of a hill.

Never again ;-)

I use the Roadster cruise control all the time. I agree that the buttons could be better, but at least I am able to use the Set (Accel) and Cancel buttons reliably. The Resume (Decel) button is the one I find hard to push. I also had the idea that when the Cancel button is pushed, the regen should come on more gradually so the driver has time to adjust the accelerator position, whereas when the cruise is cancelled by stepping on the brake then regen should not be delayed. In three years of driving I have been able to learn how to work around this by judging how much to depress the accelerator to match my current speed before using the Cancel button so I get a smooth transition. I think the +1 MPH adjustment is also too abrupt. My biggest complaint, though, is that the cruise works only down to 30 MPH, whereas I often drive on streets with 25 MPH limits strictly enforced. That is the first thing I'd fix if I had access to the software.

I also find the cruise control reasonably reliable, and I too use it all the time. However, my biggest gripe is the same as yours—the 30 mph limit. I live in a rural state where a number of small towns have 25 mph zones, and it is hard to keep the car to that speed. I asked a Tesla rep about it, and they said there was a concern about people using CC in cities. However, I asked them to pass up the point that in places like I live, 25 mph is often found outside of cities and would be very helpful. There is no reason the software couldn't be adjusted (in fact, maybe a user selectable option would be nice!)

I cannot stand having regen on the brake pedal. I've driven a number of Prii and the transition from regen to friction brakes is violent. It's impossible to smoothly move from regen to friction brakes. Keeping the brakes solely for braking is the right way to do it IMO - that way the brakes always feel the same.

Absolutely agree... However, here in Europe it seems our Roadsters have one important feature disabled related to this... The brake lights only come on when we hit the brake pedal... i.e. rarely! (I understand that in US models there is a sensor that detects deceleration and puts the brake lights on?)

When I am slowing in traffic I sometimes have to touch the brake with my left foot just to let the traffic behind know. I wish someone from Tesla could tell me how to enable this feature again.

Mark

I charged in range mode todayas I am on a trip. I too live on a hill. Do be careful as we get used to that regen engine braking. It was 8 miles before the regen kicked in. I was in stop and go traffic and it was old school braking.

I have a very long commute (125 miles round trip) and sometimes charge the car in range mode for half an hour before I leave in the morning, so as to avoid Power Limit (< 25 miles Standard Ideal) on the way home. I always drive in standard mode.

I've noticed that even though the "No Regen" indicator is on, the regenerative braking is still active between about 180 and 195 IM. The needle goes to the left, often to -25, but never all the way to -40 as happens at high speed [because by the time I'm on the highway the charge has dropped to the point where regen is officially active again]. Anyway this seems inconsistent that the "No Regen" light is on but I can't coast. Anyone else seen this? And where does the regen'd power go? I assume it doesn't spill out onto the road behind me.

Absolutely agree... However, here in Europe it seems our Roadsters have one important feature disabled related to this... The brake lights only come on when we hit the brake pedal... i.e. rarely! (I understand that in US models there is a sensor that detects deceleration and puts the brake lights on?)

When I am slowing in traffic I sometimes have to touch the brake with my left foot just to let the traffic behind know. I wish someone from Tesla could tell me how to enable this feature again.

Mark

And I wish they could tell me how to to disable it. :biggrin:
I'm glad it has the feature. Maybe it sometimes turns on the brake light when it wouldn't be needed, e.g. for a very brief decel, but I want the drivers behind me to see my brake lights when I'm slowing down with full regen.

And I wish they could tell me how to to disable it. :biggrin:

I have the solution... lets switch cars. ;)

While we are figuring out the logistics of that idea does anyone have any way into the Roadster O/S? Tattler looks to have been built by folks with some knowledge of the software. I bet there's a flag in there that just needs to be POKEd with the right value. Is Tattler exploiting a published API or is it benefiting from inside knowledge?

I have the solution... lets switch cars. ;)

While we are figuring out the logistics of that idea does anyone have any way into the Roadster O/S? Tattler looks to have been built by folks with some knowledge of the software. I bet there's a flag in there that just needs to be POKEd with the right value. Is Tattler exploiting a published API or is it benefiting from inside knowledge?

It is a software setting. Mine was originally disabled, then enabled on request.

I have a very long commute (125 miles round trip) and sometimes charge the car in range mode for half an hour before I leave in the morning, so as to avoid Power Limit (< 25 miles Standard Ideal) on the way home. I always drive in standard mode.

I've noticed that even though the "No Regen" indicator is on, the regenerative braking is still active between about 180 and 195 IM. The needle goes to the left, often to -25, but never all the way to -40 as happens at high speed [because by the time I'm on the highway the charge has dropped to the point where regen is officially active again]. Anyway this seems inconsistent that the "No Regen" light is on but I can't coast. Anyone else seen this? And where does the regen'd power go? I assume it doesn't spill out onto the road behind me.

My first "no regen" experience was scary as I also live on top of a (steep) hill. I remember saying as I drove off "what does that orange text with the cross through say? Oh s**t!, The accelerator is stuck!"

By the way my American friends, now that we drive electric cars your "gas pedal" will need to be renamed... might I suggest a return to the Queen's English with the aforementioned "accelerator"?

By the way my American friends, now that we drive electric cars your "gas pedal" will need to be renamed... might I suggest a return to the Queen's English with the aforementioned "accelerator"?

No 'petrol' here in the states. I did that for a while after I bought my diesel Jetta. I still say 'fuel up', even though it is still a 'gas station'. I have reverted to calling my gas pedal a 'gas pedal' after getting my gasoline GTI.

I want to put a vote out there for 'go button' or 'go pedal'. Perhaps the 'B button' (SNES button letter for life). Or the 'X button' for you PS people. Or 'A button' for the xBox crowd.

I have not called it a "gas" pedal in years (since getting the Xebra). I like to call it the go pedal, or a bit more whimsically, the electron pedal. Sometimes I say accelerator. Of course, with hard regen on the pedal, "go pedal" is not strictly correct. Accelerator still works, since acceleration is any change in direction or velocity, but the pedal only changes the velocity component, while the steering wheel also contributes to acceleration by changing the direction. I'm left with electron pedal as the best term. But I'll probably keep calling it the go pedal, which is easier to say and to type.

Well Mark, you are a top software guy .... when they changed yours did you happen to see how it was done?

I requested last November and Tesla EU refused. Something about "EU regulations" and "more than my jobs worth".

I didn't see it done. I was told it needed a more advanced password to get to the setting than the normal ranger one. Tetsous pushed to get this turned on here. I was #2 in line.

The reason it could be turned on/off in HK is because the regs here are not specific about it. From my understanding in some countries the regs specifically say the brake lights can only be activated when the driver depresses the brake pedal. Tesla are just following the regs.