TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

No Reservation required...Just order.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Garlan Garner, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? All of us to gave up $1000 interest free for over 2 years....and then another $2500 recently?

Now Nothing is required and you can get your car in 1-3 months.. Just order. Are you kidding? Oh well.

This came in my email today !!

Model 3: Now Available to Order

Model 3 is available to order, and no reservation is required in the US. We’re now offering all our best options—including our Long Range and Performance configurations with dual motor all-wheel drive. You can design and order yours today for delivery in as soon as 1-3 months.

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

hmmm, does this mean that they've had a bunch of order cancellations, or are teh masses waiting for Short Range?

(please don't hate on me, I'm picking up my second M3 on Wednesday.)

• Funny x 1
  3. Garlan Garner

So wait....you will have 2 model 3's and many of us haven't even gotten 1? Holy smokes!!!

Don't stir the pot on something you can't prove. The answer is unimportant. What difference would canceled orders mean to you?

4. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Don’t kid yourself - the estimates provided are Martian time. :D

You really think 1 MONTH has any chance unless it’s an already produced config, within same metro area and unclaimed?

Tesla just wanting to get an idea for production planning.

Can’t fool me twice, thrice.. etc etc

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. Koflach

Koflach Member

i'm still waiting for my first and it's not a SR.

6. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

You don't seem to be reflecting the situation entirely accurately

First- The $1000 got you in line to order ahead of those who didn't. The first tens of thousands of cars went, in order, to reservation holders as modified by the west coast to east coast rollout, and owner priority.

Those folks also largely got the chance to drop orders on AWD/P configs in late June before the cutoff for free premium data for life of the car.

Reservation order continues to be honored ahead of regular orders as well (again modified by a few other factors)

Second- the $2500 is required of everybody who orders. Including people who order today. Just like on the S/X too (though I think it was 5k there for a while).

Third- this is old news...though Tesla took a while to send an email about it. They stopped taking new reservations and opened the configurator to everybody almost 2 weeks ago, no reservation required for new orders-
    Tesla is opening Model 3 online configurator to everyone

I think the 1-3 months is likely optimistic for some configs- but clearly Tesla is doing all they can to get as many orders in before the tax credit starts dropping off. Bonus for them if they get higher priced ones too- once they run out of those they'll need to finally start building SR cars, and they really want/need to have production as ramped as possible by that point.

• Like x 3
  7. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

There may be some validity with all those pics of model 3s stacked in lots ..I don’t think these are cancellations more like the tent actually worked and now they have lots of cars :eek:

• Like x 1
  8. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Geez people randomly coming out of the wood work about this today. This has been a fact since June 27th....

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  9. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

Sorry, man. An office colleague made her rez a week after the reveal, and she's still waiting too.

I have no idea how my second delivery came up so quick. I did make two reservations after waiting in line on Mar 31, but just configured the second car at end of June.

10. Goatdan

Goatdan Member

From what I can tell, the reservation system for the most part still has priority.

I reserved in April 2017 and ordered on the 27th when the configurator opened. I have seen my configuration ordered a day or two later by people who reserved earlier get a contact already.

The reservation backlog is supposed to be 420,000, but it's rumored half of that is out of the country. If so, by the end of the year, Tesla will be able to make about 130,000 of the cars, which would satisfy more than half of the reservation demand.

If we assume half the demand is from SR, Tesla has 25,000 LR spots available for manufacture by the end of the year.

If they hit 6,000 per week, they end up with 51,000 LR spots available.

That would have them with 8.5 weeks of production not yet reserved. Which would put the time frame right about the end of October right now.

I'm glad I reserved. I'd like my car in a month, and not three.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. Garlan Garner

No it doesn't mean anything about cancelations.

You sound like a reporter with no facts. All you would have to do is misplace the word Does.

12. Koflach

Koflach Member

yeah, i configured ont he 28th of June after seeing what the prices were on the p/awd and decided to just get the LR. Now i have to deal with waiting until Tesla decides to start sending cars en masse to canada again.

13. Garlan Garner

How will Tesla do it …..now that there are no reservations needed anymore?

14. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Easy flowchart.

First in, first out if the car currently exist and is unclaimed.

Made to order will prioritize on
    1.) P
    2.) AWD
    3.) Cars that can arrive before the end of Q3
    P, AWD and LR

Don’t really think Tesla is holding on to my P3 for the hell of it as I am a prior owner and just give it to someone off the street who orders tomorrow.

• Like x 1
  15. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

What I don't get is it looks like Tesla wants another $2500 from me in addition to the $1K reservation.

Why?

If I ordered right now not using my reservation then isn't it just $2500?

I haven't completed the transaction because I'm still deciding interior color, and AWD vs. AWD-P.

16. Garlan Garner

I don't know what to think.

Its all absolutely mind boggling now.

17. Garlan Garner

I don't think there are any consistent answers as to what Tesla requires anymore. It all depends on which day of the week it is as to what they require.

• Funny x 1
  18. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

You are not seriously considering spending $70+K on a Model 3, come on.

19. Garlan Garner

What? Why not?

20. boriszima

boriszima Member

I understand your frustration. Cancel your current $1k, its refundable. Then place an order. Since you can still get it before end of the year, it might save you $1k