Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No rhyme or reason for game updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 MS and my software is totally up to date. However, I'm perplexed as to why I can't get certain games that others seem to have. I don't have the driving game, and I don't have Tempest (which I desperately want!), and yet Chess comes out and even those the aforementioned games pre-date it, it does load chess, but not the other ones. If you're going to release a game, then release the game. To everyone. The amazing thing is that literally NO ONE seems to know exactly why this haphazard release schedule is the way it is. I've asked Tesla service advisors, salesmen, the chatline people at Tesla.com, and even other owners, and no one seems to be able to come up with a definitive answer. But somebody has to know, right? Some eye-in-the-sky or wizard behind the curtain is making that decision somewhere. Any chance someone here might have some (definitive) insight into this? Why can't I have the same games as other Tesla owners??

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Because your media control unit (MCU - the 17” touchscreen and computer) doesn’t support the more compute-intensive games. they are for MCU version 2 only (an Intel-based revision released in March 2018).

No conspiracy, no haphazard randomness nor wizards. If you have a Model S made prior to March 2018, you don’t get the fancy new games. Simple as that.

Spoiler alert: you’re not going to get most of the new features coming with the v10 software release either, like Netflix and YouTube.

Why would I want Netflix and YouTube in my car? It's much more comfortable watching the big screen TV in my living room than the 17" screen in my garage.
Tesla is in California. Housing is really, really expensive in California. Tesla is simply enabling you to live in your car while still being able to keep up with whatever the latest show is. :D

Seriously, the games, Netflix, etc. all are much better at home, I don't get the enthusiasm for these things in your car -- things that you could also have just by using your phone or a tablet.

Last edited:
In response to the OP's question, I'd add a second agreement to the MCU hardware version being the limiting factor. The power,and memory, and CPU architecture are going to make it seem somewhat haphazard

To talk about "why games and media in a car," it's Tesla's effort to make the wholistic vehicle experience more enjoyable. If you've ever had to sit for 10-20 minutes at a supercharger or waited for a friend or sat in a parking lot then those features are there to make passing the time more fun. I believe it's also part of the plan for the vehicles once they are autonomous, having these features work while you are driving. Then there is also a healthy dose of "because we can" which I personally appreciate.

Because your media control unit (MCU - the 17” touchscreen and computer) doesn’t support the more compute-intensive games. they are for MCU version 2 only (an Intel-based revision released in March 2018).

No conspiracy, no haphazard randomness nor wizards. If you have a Model S made prior to March 2018, you don’t get the fancy new games. Simple as that.

Spoiler alert: you’re not going to get most of the new features coming with the v10 software release either, like Netflix and YouTube.

Sounds reasonable. Now the big question is .... why does absolutely no one who works for the company know this? That scares me!

Why would I want Netflix and YouTube in my car? It's much more comfortable watching the big screen TV in my living room than the 17" screen in my garage.

I agree ..YouTube and Netflix are useless if you can only play it in park. Tesla internet is not fast enough to support it. They didn’t really think it thru.

It make more sense to be able to have it for long road trip w family....and an option for LTE service while driving

My Silverado has high speed WiFi that ATT. Harvest $15/month

I agree ..YouTube and Netflix are useless if you can only play it in park. Tesla internet is not fast enough to support it. They didn’t really think it thru.

It make more sense to be able to have it for long road trip w family....and an option for LTE service while driving

My Silverado has high speed WiFi that ATT. Harvest $15/month
What have they thought through?

Tesla is in California. Housing is really, really expensive in California. Tesla is simply enabling you to live in your car while still being able to keep up with whatever the latest show is. :D

Seriously, the games, Netflix, etc. all are much better at home, I don't get the enthusiasm for these things in your car -- things that you could also have just by using your phone or a tablet.
Because they nerfed Supercharging and figure you need something to do while experiencing the slower charges?

Reactions: AMPd