TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

No satellite radio with all glass roof?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Scothawk, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Scothawk

Scothawk Member

Am I correct that if you choose the new all glass roof option then you can't have XM radio? (According to Elektrek review)

2. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

You are correct.

3. Scothawk

Scothawk Member

So I'm not seeing any mention of this on the custom order page on Tesla's site. You can order the "Ultra High Fidelity Package" which includes XM radiation capability. Am I missing something?

4. Scothawk

Scothawk Member

Never mind. I see "XM requires sunroof".

5. caltechkid

caltechkid Member

I don't miss satellite radio at all and think the glass roof is 1000x worth this concession.

• Like x 2
  6. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I would have to live in Afghanistan or other non-LTE area before I would sign up for SAT Radio - the quality is like listening to a 1920 hand crank telephone. Spotify rocks in the sound quality department

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 2
  7. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

The main reason I got the pano roof was for the satellite radio, the other was the extra inch of headroom it provides. I don't stream music in the car as I often find cellular reception (originally HSPA, now LTE) worse than satellite. I also find the use of the cellular network for streaming broadcast media an incredible waste of resources. XM audio quality is acceptable, better than Sirius. I find it peculiar that Tesla cannot find a place to integrate an S-band antenna under the windshield, glass roof, or tailgate window, it appears to be a marketing decision.

8. energy7

energy7 Member

I mostly stream music nowadays. My wife has satellite radio in her car but I don't find it necessary in mine. I also don't care for the audio quality satellite radio provides.

9. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

We primarily use our SiriusXM radio for "live" broadcasts - news and sports, which is especially useful while we are travelling.

Since SiriusXM also offers access to stations over the Internet, Tesla could also provide the ability to access SiriusXM via streaming, which would be useful for the non-sunroof cars. At least for sports broadcasts, they actually offer more streaming than satellite channels, allowing you to listen to the broadcasts for either the home or away games. We've used our smartphone a couple of times to do that when we preferred to listen to our home broadcasters than the broadcast from the opposing team.

10. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

If you live where I do you have to have it otherwise almost no radio stations.

11. kgclark

kgclark Member

It would nice if Tesla would reduce the cost of the Premium Audio package for those that select the all glass roof and therefore, forgo the XM radio. Doesn't seem fair to charge the same, and deliver less.

12. majorheadache

majorheadache New Member

It would be nice if Tesla knew this readily and didn't have me talk to 3 different techs and eventually bring it to the factory and have them scratching their heads for an hour before somebody looked it up and said "oh yeah, you have the glass roof, so no XM radio"

• Funny x 1
  13. slevit1md

slevit1md Member

Kind of sad that they can't find a place for the XM antenna. While I prefer steaming, I occasionally drive places where there is no streaming service and XM has been great for those times. I actually drive about every other weekend through the mountains for ski patrol and spend about an hour where I either would need to download music ahead of time or listen to silence.

• Like x 1
  14. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

It's not a technical issue, they can find a place, it's a big car. Windshield, tailgate window (where it used to be), even the spoiler lip can become an antenna.

• Like x 1