Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No self presenting door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually use my left for the driver's side, that's why most cars have the keyless unlock button for your left thumb and left hand. Of course you can also use an underhand grip. If you want to use your right hand on the driver's side.
Seems unnatural, as then you have to walk around the door to get in. Versus opening the door with the same hand as the side and not having to then walk around the door to get in.

Another possible issue; pinching fingers during door opening.
At least gloves/mittens seems to be easily pinch once the handle protrude.

The small angle formed by the handle and the door is problematic...The handle and door recess edges seems pretty sharp so really doesn't help.

Will see at final reveal...

Cs5oXSw.gif

I'm just gonna enjoy not telling people how to open the door. I wonder how long it'll take before my wife yells at me...

I'm actually a big fan of these handles and can't wait to try them out in person. The handles on S and X are gimmicky, over engineered, and problematic ... these M3 handles retain a futuristic quality while keeping the usability and reliability of current door handles.

I borrowed a MS once that would pop its own doors open whenever the handles auto presented. NOT fun (and a huge safety issue!)

If you really have to push and then pull to open the door, then I say that is a really stupid design.
Compared to this design where you had to push the button, and keep it pushed in while pulling to open the door, it seems to me like an improvement.
volvo_amazon_120,_121,_122,_123_1964_h%EF%BF%BD%EF%BF%BDndtak_utvendig.jpg

What makes me skeptical is that it seems so thin and frail at the end that you should be pulling.

Not holding my breath, but it would be nice if the (assumed to be offered) Cold Weather package included heaters so those of use who live where there's quite a bit of snow and ice would not need to scrape free our door handles to enter the car.

As long as the heater is strong enough to prevent re-freezing of the water created (which would be far worse than the initial outside ice) if the temp keeps dropping, this would be very nice.

To me that looks like you might need 2 hands to open the door, one to press the handle in and the other to pull the lever. Or you are forced to use a certain hand. For example if you are approaching the passenger door, carrying something in your right arm, you won't be able to open it with your left hand alone. These handles force you to use a certain hand in order to have your thumb toward the rear of the car. Another whiz-bang look-at-me tesla feature that actually reduces functionality.