Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Sleep Parked at Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 MYLR (2022.40.4.2)

Since ownership at the end of September, it’s become a lot more apparent that my car never goes to sleep while parked in the garage. I hear the low humming sound hours after I’ve left the car alone with no interactions (app, opening doors, etc.) at all.

The car is connected to WiFi, Sentry On (Exclude Home), no wild settings or use of third party apps.

When it’s time to plug in the charger before bed, the Charge Port Door automatically opens, the HV relay thunk sound doesn’t happen like I’m used to from previous 2021 M3. The only time I’ve noticed the car sleeping is after charging in the morning.

I’ve messaged the Service Center asking if there’s a diagnostic. It’s a bit worrisome that the car never goes to sleep. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

When the car is sleeping, the car still has some basic function active,
like Bluetooth door locking, or the Alarm if turned On.

If Sentry is On, the car will not be sleeping but the DC/DC converter
will be running to avoid getting your 12V battery to get discharged.

I would recommend installing a Bluetooth 12V Battery monitor,
so you wil be able to check with your phone when the car goes to sleep (12.5V)
or when the in-board DC/DC converter charges the battery (13.5V) and for how long.

Also, you could just plug a wireless smartphone charger to the 12V Auxiliary plug.
Those chargers often have a red LED, which turns blue when charging a phone.
When the car goes to sleep, after hearing the disconnect noise, the red LED should be off.
This is a very simple way to check if your car is sleeping by looking inside the car through a windows.

Reactions: nate704
You could try turning off the WiFi connection when you are parked at home (the WiFi connection will automatically turn on the next time you drive) to see if the Tesla Model Y enters sleep mode with the WiFi turned off.

Related, the Amazon Echo Auto device will alert you with a "Amazon Alexa Auto, Ready to Drive" message whenever the Tesla Model Y wakes up from sleep mode. When the Tesla Model Y enters Standby mode this powers on the low voltage accessory ports (previously known as 12V accessory ports) and the Echo Auto device plugged into the accessory port in the center console receives power. The Amazon Echo Auto won't let you know when the Tesla Model Y enters Sleep mode, only when the Tesla Model Y wakes up and enters Standby mode.