Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No sleeping since update to 2020.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realized yesterday that I had not done anything with my MS since it got the upgrade. No drives or anything. Yesterday it charged itself back up to 80% and then went offline on it's own. According to Teslafi, it's been offline for almost 20 hours now.

One of the tell tale signs of it not going to sleep was the IC and charge port green light were always on. A quick glance at the car now both are off so I think mine is okay now....
my MS goes off-line and has no energy loss and Teslafi shows it off-line.......so I set Teslafi to show car asleep when off-line.....I think it is just the car....when it senses no actions or movement, I just shuts down and shows off-line

but my model 3 does not go off-line, so I keep it as a standard set-up.....

both cars seem to be operating normally now but I will continue to monitor

I have the same problem since 2020.12 was installed on my Raven Model S (built November 2019). Prior to this version the phantom loss was very small. I charge to 70% full every night at midnight and prior to 2020.12 when I left for work about 8AM it was still at 70% . Since the new version was installed, it's at 68% every morning. Thanks to the COVID-19 scare the car has not been used in the last 3 days and the charge at the end of each day is 66% - a loss of 4% daily.

I don't have anything such as Teslafi that could be accessing the car and preventing sleeping, but to be on the safe side I changed my Tesla password. I also checked that Cabin Overheat is off, and that all heating/Cooling controls are turned off. Nothing seems to reduce the loss, so my guess is that it's a Tesla firmware issue.

I thought my issue was gone - but in fact it is still there. I turned off polling with TeslaFi and I see no changes in the car's sleep schedule. Hopefully the next software update corrects this issue.

Side note - for some reason it seems like TeslaFi is absolutely useless for me since the last update. It hasn't capture any of the short charging sessions I've experienced. Like others, I'm "shelter in place" right now so if I drive, I barely get 2 or 3 on the car before it is plugged in again.

I only have a 3 but I also have the same no sleep issue that started the moment 2020.12 was installed. The computer & coolant pump stay on 24x7. The car is also pinging various tesla sites ~15k times per day per my router logs. Remote support looked at it and said that a fix would be in the next update but it would take longer than normal given current world events. Teslafi status had no effect nor did any amount of resets. If your router keeps stats on the number of connections being made it's easy to spot.
nosleep.JPG

Dear folks,

I have data to report: This is for an end-of-2019 Model X LR.

After yesterday's software update (2020.12.1), the Tesla lost 6 miles of charge over a 6-1/2 hour period, with Sentry mode on. I turned Sentry mode off overnight and it lost only 2 miles of charge over 15 hours.

To confirm, I then turned Sentry mode back on and it lost 7 miles over 7-1/2 hours. Turned it off again and it's lost less than 1 mile over 4-1/2 hours.

This phantom/vampire drain only started after the 2020.12 update earlier in March. Before that, Sentry mode did not cause excessive power drain. It would seem that the software update has broken something and the car is remaining "hypervigilant" when Sentry mode is on.

Whether the same problem exists in the same form for other models will be up to other people to determine.

- pax \ Ctein
[ Please excuse any word-salad. Dragon Dictate in training! ]

My model S was updated from 2020.12 to 2020.12.1 yesterday, and the problem with not sleeping appears to be resolved. Last night the car was charged at midnight as usual and was still reporting the same charge level at 9am this morning, when previously it always lost 2% of charge level overnight, and 4% in a full day.

got 2020.12.1 yesterday....car went to sleep after 4.5 hrs when parked after drive of 60 miles......stayed asleep until 10:40a this morning....no noise from car though and looks like the drain has slowed or stopped in broth cars....maybe this worked....

did notice yesterday that the pump was very loud for 2 hrs and went silent right before it went to sleep.....my car turns off.....I guess that is a little different than going to sleep I think.....but as long as the range does not go down I guess that 12.1 makes a difference

Last edited:
Hi Travelfree,

Under safety and security there is a setting "Cabin Overheat Protection."
When this is on and your battery is charged to greater than 20% it keeps your
cabin under 105 degrees F.
If this is on and you live in Florida - if your car is anything other than white on white
this will drain your car Quickly... Park it in the shade or turn off this setting...

Good luck,

shawn

Summon: Not using it yet, not turned on. Thanks anyway. The excessive parked battery drain is either caused by the overheat protection and/or the sentry mode. I know now what the cost of sentry mode it and while a nice feature it may need to be used only for short periods rather than always on. The overheat protection might be better by using a sun reflector in the windshield. I have them for my other cars and just ordered one for the Tesla. They really make a difference here in the Summer Florida sun.