Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No sleeping since update to 2020.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020.12.1.......this seems to have fixed the drain and noise (whining) problem)....car sleeps all night with little to no range loss.....also I go the silent range update and it has increased my range significantly......I charged yesterday to 90%.......got 351 miles of range.....this equates to a 98% capped battery when charged to 90%.....if I do the math, I will get 383 miles at 98% full charge........car runs great.....I am a happy camper now......looks like Tesla jumped on the winning noise and range update when the did the Long Range Plus updates.....

I turned on the Sentry mode only for 12 hours and went from 372 to 351 miles range with 2 sentry events recorded.

Next I will test the overheat protection on and sentry mode off.

Ran Cabin Overheat protection on for 12 hours and this dropped the range from 351 miles to 345 miles.

Conclusion- If I have both Sentry and Cabin overheat off the loss in 12 hours is 2 miles range. It looks like Sentry running is the biggest drain. I should only activate Sentry when it may leaving the car in a public parking area. At home I really don't need it because my home is protected by several security cameras anyway.

It's good to know what not to do as a default. Like my other cars I've had the windshield reflector should help keep the hear down in the 90's during the summer. The way I park has the sun beaming down right on the windshield from 10AM until 6PM so the reflector should make a big difference.

I guess the wifi and alarm and other electronics is what uses the 2 miles of range in 12 hours. I guess that is tolerable.

I have never noticed any noise from the AC unit except once in awhile with Cabin Overheat on and it gets real hot inside, like 105 to 106.

I wonder how long I'll be waiting for the new software update from 2020.8.2.

Dear Folks,

I'm up to software 12.5 (the in-car sentry view feature) and I'm sad to report that I'm still seeing the 0.9 mile per hour drain in sentry mode. Only 0.1 mile/hr with sentry off. So, nope, ain't fixed. This is in an end-of-2019 XLR.

pax / Ctein
I dont think that.1mi/hr is bad....remember, there is still some electrical draw for the car

Dear r1...

Yup, the 0.1 mi/hr drain is normal. It's the 0.9 mi/hr continuous drain with sentry on that's not. That started only after a software update a bit back. Some kind of bug. Was hoping 12.5 might address it, but nooooooo.

pax / Ctein
my car has been sleeping for 42hrs straight now with 12.1........it seems they figured out the drain issue and fixed it....my wife's M3 is going to sleep faster also after being awakened too.....I am happy now......

Dear r12...,

Is that with Sentry mode on? If so, what average drain are you seeing?

I'm trying to figure out if there are multiple drain problems to be resolved or if it's just hitting different models differently.

In any case, mine ain't fixed. Yet.

Hey, related question-- there an official (or semi-official) channel for filing bug reports with Tesla?

Sleep safe [g]

pax / Ctein

Dear r12...,

Is that with Sentry mode on? If so, what average drain are you seeing?

I'm trying to figure out if there are multiple drain problems to be resolved or if it's just hitting different models differently.

In any case, mine ain't fixed. Yet.

Hey, related question-- there an official (or semi-official) channel for filing bug reports with Tesla?

Sleep safe [g]

pax / Ctein
no...my sentry mode is off when I am at home.....currently, my car has been in sleep mode for over 45 hours......dont see any drain to speak of......it seems so far that my drain issue is solved....it will be interesting when I go and wake it up to go somewhere to see what Teslafi shows me......

hope you figure it out.....my wifes M3 is showing very little drain as well....both are on 12.1

I got 12.5 the other day and now I notice mine will not sleep - garage wifi permanently connected and no waking up required in app or delay of dash on opening. Have cycled all the settings for energy saving on/off and always connected with no change. Just tried cycling the cabin overheat protection, which was off, just in case that makes a difference. Will see later.

Have you guys tried a scroll wheel reset? I got another update and it started sleeping a little (2020.12.5). I did the scroll wheel reset due to the car not connecting to network on it's own, and it now seems to sleep like it did before the 2020.12 update.

TeslaFi is starting to track it correctly too - and it is showing the car has been asleep for about 7 hours straight now.

I turned my wifi off overnight and mine now sleeps as of this morning. I guess I forgot I hadn't done a reboot for this. Been doing so many reboots recently it is easy to get confused. I get tired of doing sodding reboots - it so boring and one of the things that annoys me about my Tesla. I have never had a standard unmodified car where you have to put so much effort/brain work into keeping it standard.

I turned my wifi off overnight and mine now sleeps as of this morning. I guess I forgot I hadn't done a reboot for this. Been doing so many reboots recently it is easy to get confused. I get tired of doing sodding reboots - it so boring and one of the things that annoys me about my Tesla. I have never had a standard unmodified car where you have to put so much effort/brain work into keeping it standard.

Actually turning wifi off overnight appeared to get it to sleep the next day but only for a short while. So I did a screen reboot and that too appeared to get it to sleep. But now it appears it is awake again for no reason.

Hi Jaitch,

Is the car locked or unlocked???
I found my X sleeps much more and longer when it is locked...
Currently 2020.12.5 and still sleeping (locked).

And as others have said your fobs must be out of range of the car
or they will wake it up.

Shawn

Hi Jaitch,
Is the car locked or unlocked???
I found my X sleeps much more and longer when it is locked...
Currently 2020.12.5 and still sleeping (locked).
And as others have said your fobs must be out of range of the car
or they will wake it up.

Shawn

Car is locked and fob is no where near it.

I managed to get mine to sleep normally again yesterday after logging out of app and then logging back in after a few minutes. Seems to be sleeping and waking up normally now (one day test). We shall see how long this lasts.

Car is locked and fob is no where near it.

I managed to get mine to sleep normally again yesterday after logging out of app and then logging back in after a few minutes. Seems to be sleeping and waking up normally now (one day test). We shall see how long this lasts.

Doesn't last a day and staying awake all day today. Maybe it is just me. I regularly go into my garage without my Tesla key so I get to see if it is connected to wifi or not. When it is asleep - ie not on wifi, you can wake it up without the key by pressing the door handle. It clicks into life and connects to wifi. Now it is pretty much permanently connected to wifi and awake. Just annoying as it never used to be like this. Maybe 12.10 will address this along with other things they messed up (USB music).