Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No software update for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have two Model 3’s in our garage, both connected to the same Wifi network. The first one has been regularly receiving software updates and recently went from 2019.5.15 to 2019.8.3.

The second one has been stuck on 2019.5.14.3, which is now two versions old. This version does not have the updated range or improved performance, and the Dashcam is really flaky. I’ve tried disconnecting and reconnecting the Wifi but nothing seems to trigger the update. Does this seem normal? Is there anything I can do to nudge it along to the latest version?

Tesla Customer Service told me the software updates rollout in batches. I have no idea if this is true or not though, as they could have been giving me just a canned response. Did both Model 3s get purchased at the same time ?

Here is their response:

"I apologize for the delay in response, the updates for our vehicles roll out in batches so not every vehicle will receive the prompt to download an update at the same time. I would just make sure that when we park the vehicle for the night we ensure that it is connected to wifi so that if it does attempt to download any updates it will succeed".

Yes, that answer is correct. There are many versions that do not make it out to every car sometimes they identify an issue in a version as they are rolling it out and stop the roll out to fix said issue. Then they start rolling out that version. Once they feel a version is stable for the masses they send it out in batches. This allow for less server burden at one time verses every car out there hitting for the update at once and slowing or crashing a server.

If you've ever played Xbox (COD) you understand :cool:

Yes, that answer is correct. There are many versions that do not make it out to every car sometimes they identify an issue in a version as they are rolling it out and stop the roll out to fix said issue. Then they start rolling out that version. Once they feel a version is stable for the masses they send it out in batches. This allow for less server burden at one time verses every car out there hitting for the update at once and slowing or crashing a server.

Thanks - makes sense to me now.

I recommend taking a look at TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

It may or may not be a representative sample of the fleet, but it gives you an idea of the progress of rollouts, broken down by models, etc. Even on days where 1000 updates go out to the fleet, that’s only like 20-30% of the customer base.

You more or less *need* WiFi to get an update rolled out to you to download (the only exception being the service staff explicitly pushing an update to your car). However, if you’re not selected by the mother ship, it doesn’t matter if you’re on Wi-Fi or not, you’re not getting the update.

Average days between updates for my car is 22 days, but it's kind of skewed by some abnormally short # of days (one 1 day, and another 5 days) between updates.

Recently it's been between 35 and 51 days between updates.

I've posted this elsewhere, so I repeat a related experience. Late last week I received a Tesla app notification on my iPhone saying a new firmware update was available. The notification was from two days earlier. When I clicked on the notification it launched the app. The app did not contain the notice of the firmware update. I went to my M3. Nothing. Not even the usual orange clock in the menu bar. Anyone have this experience? Seems like an update was noticed, then canceled. Hmmm.....

I recommend taking a look at TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

It may or may not be a representative sample of the fleet, but it gives you an idea of the progress of rollouts, broken down by models, etc. Even on days where 1000 updates go out to the fleet, that’s only like 20-30% of the customer base.

You more or less *need* WiFi to get an update rolled out to you to download (the only exception being the service staff explicitly pushing an update to your car). However, if you’re not selected by the mother ship, it doesn’t matter if you’re on Wi-Fi or not, you’re not getting the update.
My car has never been connected to Wi-Fi but I did get prompted for an update a while ago. I postponed the update and it disappeared for whatever reason. I'm still waiting for the next update. My firmware is pretty outdated. Do you think I should try connecting to Wi-Fi? I live in an apartment complex so connecting to Wi-Fi at home is out of the question. Not sure if parking in front of Starbucks to get Wi-Fi is a wise idea :D

We have two Model 3’s in our garage, both connected to the same Wifi network. The first one has been regularly receiving software updates and recently went from 2019.5.15 to 2019.8.3.

The second one has been stuck on 2019.5.14.3, which is now two versions old. This version does not have the updated range or improved performance, and the Dashcam is really flaky. I’ve tried disconnecting and reconnecting the Wifi but nothing seems to trigger the update. Does this seem normal? Is there anything I can do to nudge it along to the latest version?
I was in a similar situation and did the following, now I get in general an update one day after someone mention a new one.

1) Try to reboot your car every evening and check that your browser really get WiFi,
try for example testing the download and the upload using Fast.com

2) I cannot warranty the result, but schedule an appointment for your car, the app now gives you a list of reasons.
You can mention that you didn't received any update, or sometime about the Dashcam ...

Sometime later you might receive an e-mail to confirm the appointment or check your availability for a ranger visit.
Before the appointment your car might suddenly get a message for an update...

You can then cancel the appointment if not really needed.
In general it would be weeks before, so I don't think this would be too much of a trouble.

Last edited:
I was in a similar situation and did the following, now I get in general an update one day after someone mention a new one.

1) Try to reboot your car every evening and check that your browser really get WiFi,
try for example testing the download and the upload using Fast.com

2) I cannot warranty the result, but schedule an appointment for your car, the app now gives you a list of reasons.
You can mention that you didn't received any update, or sometime about the Dashcam ...

Sometime later you might receive an e-mail to confirm the appointment or check your availability for a ranger visit.
Before the appointment your car might suddenly get a message for an update...

You can then cancel the appointment if not really needed.
In general it would be weeks before, so I don't think this would be too much of a trouble.

I tried all of these things...still no update. But my 2018 Model 3 just got another update again today. This is really strange.

Get an appointment with Tesla, I'm sure they will be able to register your car for getting new updates.

I have an appointment already scheduled for the end of the month to get my 19” wheels and tires, but I went ahead and added a note to the service call stating I need a firmware upgrade. I guess that gives me until the end of the month to see if I get one on my own.

Also received an update notice that wouldn’t install and then got pulled.

Still on 50.6 so you are far ahead
Would you mind trying something for me? I think I found a cause for why some people who might be stuck far behind on updates are not getting them. Unless it’s a fantastic coincidence, a trick I tried worked (seemingly). I would like for some others, who have WiFi connectivity and aren’t getting new updates, to give this a shot for validation. Thanks in advance.

This afternoon I logged into my Tesla account and clicked on the "Chat" button. I let them know I had not received any updates and was currently on 2019.5.14. The rep asked for my VIN, loaded it into his system and told me they would push an update out to me shortly. I received an update notification on my iPhone about five minutes later. The update just finished and now I'm on 2019.5.15. I was expecting to get updated to 2019.8.5. Do I need to install all of the prior updates before I get to the current one?

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
This afternoon I logged into my Tesla account and clicked on the "Chat" button.
I let them know I had not received any updates and was currently on 2019.5.14.
The rep asked for my VIN, loaded it into his system and told me they would push an update out to me shortly.
I received an update notification on my iPhone about five minutes later.
The update just finished and now I'm on 2019.5.15.
I was expecting to get updated to 2019.8.5.
Do I need to install all of the prior updates before I get to the current one?
- There might be some dependencies between some updates.

- To get a new update, I will reboot the Model 3 display, check that you are connected, and check if you get a new update tomorrow.

- Also there have been a new App updates. I got last week 3.8.2 and yesterday 3.8.3 was available.